Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh goodness. My pretty baby just threw up a clear liquid all over my bed, and she's been wheezing from time to time and like burping. Nothing unusual today - 1/4 cup of kibble when she woke up, 1/2 cup + a little chicken broth at around 12, and she's been on 2 walks. Oh, and she got some cheerios. We went down to the beach and she was digging a lot -could she have eaten some sand? There was some sand in the area she puked in, but I thought it might have been from her feet though, cuz I haven't rushed her out yet. I can't think of anything she might have gotten into - a little bit of a cooked carrot that I dropped, but would that be bad? Let me know what I should do please. I'm so so worried. If she doesn't get better within like a half an hour I might call the vet, but right now I'm just waiting it out.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 12 2005, 02:43 PM
Oh goodness. My pretty baby just threw up a clear liquid all over my bed, and she's been wheezing from time to time and like burping. Nothing unusual today - 1/4 cup of kibble when she woke up, 1/2 cup + a little chicken broth at around 12, and she's been on 2 walks. Oh, and she got some cheerios. We went down to the beach and she was digging a lot -could she have eaten some sand? There was some sand in the area she puked in, but I thought it might have been from her feet though, cuz I haven't rushed her out yet. I can't think of anything she might have gotten into - a little bit of a cooked carrot that I dropped, but would that be bad? Let me know what I should do please. I'm so so worried. If she doesn't get better within like a half an hour I might call the vet, but right now I'm just waiting it out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42584
[/QUOTE]

Brinkley did this once and freaked me out! He had eaten/swallowed the cardboard toiletpaper roll! Like almost the whole thing! I had to take him to the vet, and he gave him some peroxide to drink...and that made him throw it all up! It was scary!
I would watch her close and take her in if it is concerning you! Brinkley would hack/wheeze, throw up...drink tons of water, and then start all over.
Lots of kisses!!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It's not unusual for a healthy puppy to vomit occasionally. Even adult dogs do so to purge when they have either overeaten or eaten something that upsets their digestion. This usually comes with a little wheezing.

I wouldn't worry if it is just once and she seems otherwise perfectly normal.

However, if it is more than once, and/or she starts acting in any way unlike herself, and/or is lethargic (limp, wanting to sleep all the time), I'd rush her to the vet asap.

Frequent vomiting is the first sign of parvo and other life threatening diseases.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Oh no! I hope Lucy is feeling better!!! Sorry I don't have any useful info, but do check her gums to make sure they are still pink. If they look off, a little gray or pale you should call the vet asap. Big kisses for Lucy

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by tlunn@Mar 12 2005, 03:24 PM
Brinkley did this once and freaked me out! He had eaten/swallowed the cardboard toiletpaper roll! Like almost the whole thing! I had to take him to the vet, and he gave him some peroxide to drink...and that made him throw it all up! It was scary!
I would watch her close and take her in if it is concerning you! Brinkley would hack/wheeze, throw up...drink tons of water, and then start all over.
Lots of kisses!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42587
[/QUOTE]

Uhoh. Guess what I just found? A paper towel roll that looks suspiciously chewed up and a BUNCH of shredded paper
She's been good though, she's currently thrashing all over the living room with a tennis ball
Soo I'm hoping everythings ok. I wrapped her up in her favorite fleece blankie, rocked her on a rocking chair, and fed her spoonfuls of water. I don't think she swallowed much, if any, of the cardboard roll cuz it's still normal length/no rough edges. There are a few holes..

Anyways, I'm keeping my eye on her. Thanks

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Mar 12 2005, 03:54 PM
Oh no!  I hope Lucy is feeling better!!!  Sorry I don't have any useful info, but do check her gums to make sure they are still pink.  If they look off, a little gray or pale you should call the vet asap.  Big kisses for Lucy

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42597
[/QUOTE]

Gums are normal-colored pink, thank god
LOL I'm so stressed right now.. I was like crying. I'm the only one here, so if something happened, I can't drive - I'd have to call someone
I just don't want anything to happen to my baby.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@Mar 12 2005, 03:34 PM
It's not unusual for a healthy puppy to vomit occasionally.  Even adult dogs do so to purge when they have either overeaten or eaten something that upsets their digestion.  This usually comes with a little wheezing.

I wouldn't worry if it is just once and she seems otherwise perfectly normal. 

However, if it is more than once, and/or she starts acting in any way unlike herself, ans/or is lethargic (limp, wanting to sleep all the time), I'd rush her to the vet asap.

Frequent vomiting is the first sign of parvo and other life threatening diseases.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42591
[/QUOTE]

She's acting totally like herself - begging for treats, frolicking around the living room, trying to jump up into my lap
Thank goodness she only threw up once... once is DEFINITELY enough.

Thanks for the info, you definitely calmed me down a little

·
Registered
522 Posts
It sounds like you mothered her so well. Rocking her, spooning her water. She's so fortunate to have such a devoted mommy. If she's playing and jumping, she should be fine. I agree with the others, it's not so much that she threw up, it's more important whether her behavior is normal or not.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the next time she needs some cuddling and rocking, she will make herself throw up again.
Just kidding.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:lol: You never know... she sneezes when she wants my attention coz of course I'm gonna run over there.. Or she'll jump up on the couch (her new favorite trick) but she can't jump down, soo she knows I'll come running when she barks
And so she jumps up, 2 seconds later she barks. I scurry on over there and bring her down and she proceeds to try to play. Gotta love that.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Whew! Glad she is ok!!!!! Sending Brinkley kisses and wiggles!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 12 2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone 
You all are the best. I dunno what I'd do without this forum
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42662
[/QUOTE]

You are one of the most devoted pet mommies I have ever seen. And I believe you said you were just in the eighth grade?? Is that right? Your posts are so well written.... you must one smart gal!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 12 2005, 05:02 PM
:lol: You never know... she sneezes when she wants my attention coz of course I'm gonna run over there.. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42639
[/QUOTE]

im glad that ur little baby is feeling much better~ my jongee just threw up twice today in the morning too, so im not taking my eyes off her today

my jongee also keeps sneezing too only when she plays with me

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 13 2005, 02:23 PM
Haha hope you don't think any differently of me 
  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42829
[/QUOTE]

' Course not!
I was also one smart cookie at your age...and a good puppy mommy, too :) You are doing such a fabulous job with Lucy. I love your posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by mee+Mar 13 2005, 01:42 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@Mar 12 2005, 05:02 PM
:lol: You never know... she sneezes when she wants my attention coz of course I'm gonna run over there.. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42639

im glad that ur little baby is feeling much better~ my jongee just threw up twice today in the morning too, so im not taking my eyes off her today

my jongee also keeps sneezing too only when she plays with me
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42835
[/B][/QUOTE]

Awww I hope beautiful little Jong-Ee feels better
We both have little sneezers :lol:

Sylphides Mom - thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts