Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as you guys know we took Maya in to the groomer and she got shaved. She looks so cute as always but I was really upset when I picked her up because she looked so skinny. She had SO much hair before that it was hard for me to examine her "frame" and realize that it would be good for her to put on atleast a pound. I just would feel more comfortable if she filled out some, she is only going to be a year and I know my little Haley had a growth spurt at that time so Im hoping Maya will grow some too, but she must have a very fast metabolism (must take after her daddy
jk) anyways, we feed her chicken soup right now, and the past day and a half her stools have been loose (I wouldnt neccesarily say diarhea, but they have been a lot more gooey than they should) (sorry for the description).

A) What else could I be feeding her where she could put on some weight? They get chicken and rice (which Mike thinks gave her the diarhea), carrots, cottage cheese, apples, and eggs occasionally but I know if I feed them human food they wont eat their dog food so we dont do it too often.

Should i be concerned about her stool? She is acting normal, eating still, playing still, but if it continues I think I will bring her in on Monday. None of mine have had diarhea, and if they had loose stools it went away within a day. I just wonder because she isnt acting "sick" but I know its still not normal. I want to start fattening her up, but not until her stools are normal again

Does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry so long

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i dont worry unless their stool is all watery and they're lathargic.

i dont thnk chicken and rice would make her sick (boiled chicken w/o skin definitely wouldnt give diahrea). but i think thats the best way to get her to gain weight.

oh, and loose stool and stool with mucus...is totally normal. it happens when you introduce something new in their diet.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Is she truly underweight? Is her backbone prominent? Her ribs?

If so, a performance food or puppy food will often put on weight. Young dogs also tend to fill out between age 1-2 years simply as they mature.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 4 2005, 12:01 PM
Is she truly underweight? Is her backbone prominent? Her ribs?

If so, a performance food or puppy food will often put on weight. Young dogs also tend to fill out between age 1-2 years simply as they mature.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68961
[/QUOTE]

no you cant really see her ribs, I just feel like she looks really skinny. She is probably the perfect weight for her size but NO skinnier. I have been mixing chicken soup puppy food as well with their normal chicken soup. Im going to make her some more chicken today. Thanks guys

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Being fit and trim is a real benefit to your dog's health. I wouldn't try to put weight on a dog that doesn't need it. You could definately add some muscle by increasing her exercise (walks, playing fetch)...she may require more food with increased activities. Snacks would be great.

A nice trim dog breaths easier, is less likely to injure joints, and is less likely to develop diseases like diabetes.

You should be able to feel the ribs easily without them being overly prominent. When wet, your dog should have a waist when looking down on it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I think she's alright. You wouldnt want her to be overweight because of how they're prone to having bad knees.

And I must say, Maya has grown to be sooooo gorgeous! She is BEAUTIFUL!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I dont have to worry about prissys weight she keeps it where it needs to be. However last time she was in heat Shiner(min Pin) wouldnt eat. He is in perfect body condition no fat on him though. His is just muscle. If he goes a day with out eating you can tell he looses muscle mass and gets boney very fast. We are just now getting him back to normal. We mixed his food with scrambled egg or chicken romen noodles. We didnt add the flavor pack we just cooked the noodles in chicken broth. Our vet told us rice and noodles where good to get them to eat protein and carbs. He Loved the noodles he would slirp them up it was so funny. Now he is on his regular food and back to normal.

I hope this helps if you think you need to fatten her up.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys (again)
I think I just maybe dont like how small she is, and the only thing I have to compare her to is Haley, my yorkie, who is only 3 pounds. Haley (as you can maybe tell in the picture) has LONG yorkie hair but she is a lot shorter than Maya and the perfect weight (she really cant be overweight because she has horrible knees). Maybe just because she is shaved she looks really thin. She loves to eat though!! I will probably just add some boiled chicken to her dry food a few times a week. She is still not a year for a few more weeks so hopefully as she gets older her body will fill out, but not to where she is fat. We do take them on walks and she is pretty muscular I would say.

I just wanted to make sure I didnt have a ultra thin maltese

Thanks for the compliment, she is an angel

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Honestly Kodie is very skinny. Hes 2yrs old and never filled out like normal dogs. He isnt sickly skinny but hes tiny. He just doesnt put weight on.... he poos everything out..haha.. j/k

A few doctors told me that Kodie is just fine boned and hes always going to be tiny like that.
As long as he acts healthy, no worries.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
sprite was so skinny before, that when she would try to roll on her back...she couldnt. i guess cuz her spine was sticking out...so she would basically be on her side. i hated it. she's gained 2 lbs since being on a homecooked diet...and the doctor loves it.

its possible for your dog to be underweight. and you'll see that when she gains weight----she'll have a lot more energy and she'll feel "sturdier".

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I know that Peanut filled out after his first birthday. Before then it was a fight to keep him at a steady weight he would fluctuate between 4 and 5 lbs (the boy didn't eat). Now he's a happy 6 pounds.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I felt the same way about Chester, to me he is thin. I discussed it with my vet. She said he is fine. Not to fatten him up as when he get older he will gain more weight.
It's better for him to stay on the lean side. Then we won't have to put him on diet when he is older. My concern with Chester is he will eat for two days and then nothing. He will just pick at this food. Then the next day he can't get enough. The Vet told us not to worry about it his just picky.

·
Registered
595 Posts
This has nothing to do with weight gain but I just wanted to say that I think Kodie is possibly one of the cutest little dogs I have ever seen!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@Jun 8 2005, 12:50 PM
I felt the same way about Chester, to me he is thin.  I discussed it with my vet.  She said he is fine.  Not to fatten him up as when he get older he will gain more weight.
It's better for him to stay on the lean side. Then we won't have to put him on diet when he is older.  My concern with Chester is he will eat for two days and then nothing.  He will just pick at this food.  Then the next day he can't get enough.  The Vet told us not to worry about it his just picky.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70558
[/QUOTE]

My Jonathan eats the same way. Gobbles his meals for 2 days then fasts for a meal or two. He maintains weight and always eats treats. It just his normal thing so we don't worry.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+Jun 8 2005, 04:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Chelsey
@Jun 8 2005, 12:50 PM
I felt the same way about Chester, to me he is thin.  I discussed it with my vet.  She said he is fine.  Not to fatten him up as when he get older he will gain more weight.
It's better for him to stay on the lean side. Then we won't have to put him on diet when he is older.  My concern with Chester is he will eat for two days and then nothing.  He will just pick at this food.  Then the next day he can't get enough.  The Vet told us not to worry about it his just picky.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70558
My Jonathan eats the same way. Gobbles his meals for 2 days then fasts for a meal or two. He maintains weight and always eats treats. It just his normal thing so we don't worry.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70634
[/B][/QUOTE]

Chester too he loves his treats, he will always have water. He is 6.5 pounds. Chester looks so tiny compaired to chelsey , but chesley just has all cotton fluff hair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts