Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a question. Well let me tell you first the story, I have pupi for almost one year, everyone loves him a lot and plays with him. He only runs and plays with us only if we r going out so that we take him with us. All other times he just hides either under sofa or inside his soft house. And when we call him to come out, play with us or etc, he just ignores us. What should I do, what am I doing wrong? Am very worried

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Has he always been like that, even as a puppy? And your vet says he's healthy in every other way? Has his hearing been checked? Neurological evaluation done?

He might never have been properly socialized. Early human contact and handling from the beginning is very important and affects how puppies interact with humans later on. That's why we want to get puppies from breeders who raise them inside with their family, not from pet shops/puppy mills where the puppies are raised in cages with little human contact.

Where did you get Pupi?

I was just reading an article earlier today that said that the most important socialization in a puppy happens in the first 12 weeks. Any socialization after that is called secondary socialization and will never be as effective as the socialization he should have received in the first 12 weeks.

Do you/have you taken him outside, to public places, where he is exposed to people, noises, etc?

The fact that he won't even come to you would worry me too. Have you talked to your vet or his breeder about his odd behavior? I would probably get my vet to recommend a trainer who could evaluate him if there isn't a medical reason for his behavior.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well vet said he is healthy and also hearing is good as well. i live in United Arab Emirates and we bought him in the pet shop it is number one shop here.
we take him out every day 3 times a day and in my complex (where i live) there are a lot of dogs and people waking so he does socializes.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Don't have any answers for you...just wanted to tell you how adorable your baby is.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Does he come for treats? Maybe you can use a kong and put treats in there for him to pay with. Maybe always have treats availible when trying to play with him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts