Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teddy and I will be going to Florida on June 24 for my brothers wedding...I am so excited about that. But, Teddy at 6.5 lbs seems to be a giant elephant when fitting in the carrier. I got him the samsonite Petite carrier because it meets the airlines reguirements and I have put treats and a kong and now his toothbrush (which he loves) in there to get him used to it. The toothbrush he just pulled out the little blanket so he could reach it. Teddy has not been in a carrier/grate since he was a puppy and he never had a problem going in, but now he seems to have outgrown liking it.

So my question is this any suggestions on how to get him to like it or be less afraid of being in there. When Teddy was about 4 months old we explored Boston in a puppy purse but he really never liked it...and when I take him which is often I usually just carry him or have him walk.

There is no way he is not going with me...I will be gone for 10 days and he would not do well without me...my daughter says he gets upset when I am not here and she is...he will wait for me the whole time and not play or eat.

Help Please

Susan

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
How about putting a shirt or something with your scent on it in the carrier? You can also try to just leave it unzipped on the floor and hopefully Teddy will explore it on his own. Can you just walk around the house holding himin the carrier? Just for a minute or two at a time to get him comfortable with it again. I'm just pulling ideas off the top of my head right now.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I would get the largest carrier that is "legal" and leave it in the house so he can explore going in and out and get used to it.... put some treats in there, etc. I would just do as much as possible to prepare such as taking him places in it before the trip, etc. He just needs to see that nothing bad will happen and that being in the carrier means something good.

I hope things work out... I think it is neat that he is going with you!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both...I just spent the last hour or so coaxing Teddy into the carrier by enticing him with treats at one end and having him walk into the other. He did very well although he was very timid at first...and then we moved on to carrying him around the house in the thing...he did ok but was happy to get out as soon as the opportunity came. That is enough for the evening.

Thanks for all your help....I will keep you informed.

Susan

·
Registered
939 Posts
You are on track! Keep doing what you are doing every day! Loads of love and treats. Be sure to extend the time he is in the bag when he is ready. Take him in the car with you and to some "dog friendly" places such as "home depot, lowe's, pets mart... soon he will learn that the bag is ok.

Tiki loves his bag. If I get it out he will get all excited and get in waiting for me to zip it up so we can go bye, bye.

Judi

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just keep up with the treat thing to entice him into the bag. When he goes into the bag, treat him again. Pick him up, carry him around, open the bag and treat him again. Let him associate the bag with really cool fun things. LOL The more fun it becomes, the easier the trip on the 24th will be. Good luck.

Izzy just loves her Juicy bag. She comes running from anywhere in the house the moment the bag comes out of the closet. She dances and wiggles with excitement knowing she's going to go away. That reminds me (!!!) We shouldn't take her to the vet tomorrow in her Juicy bag, we'll use the plastic crate for transportation.

See, that's what I mean. Make sure Teddy associates only good things with his carrier.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Definitely giving favorite treats and goodies only while in the carrier is a great way to start. I would let him explore it for a few days open and on the floor. Let him come in and out as he pleases. Each time he pays attention to the carrier, and actually sits in it, give him a reward. After a few days, try walking around the house with him in the carrier. Work your way out the door, to the car and eventually for a ride around town (maybe to Petsmart for a toy). I have to keep my carriers hidden from our puppy because she knows carrier=car ride. She loves to come with us and goes nuts thinking she's going to go for a ride! Don't worry too much if he seems nervous in his carrier, he will get used to it. I am sure that people must think I'm odd, but I constantly talk when she is in her bag. I was in Lord and Taylor the other day and people were looking at me like I had three heads! Of course once they realized who I was talking to, the paid no attention to me whatsoever. Valletta is a very social little dog who loves attention. I thought the lady at the Clinique counter was going to snatch her if I wasn't careful.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico is fine in the carrier now but he will still streeeetch himself without getting his body into the carrier to see if their are treats in the back
Even though he is 4.5 pounds the Medium Sherpa carrier was roomier and does fit under the airplane seat. I made a cushy pad out of egg crate foam, covered with a pee-absorbent cover and a fleece covering on top of that.

He never goes into it even though I leave it open by his crate all the time. I did accustom him to it by taking short car trips to the office supply or PetsMart before our first flight. He whines a little if the plane is too long in taking off but once the engines come on and we are in the air he doesn't make a peep. Dropping cheerios in while waiting for the engines to start helps keep him occupied andhappy, too.

Funny story: A young man was sitting next to me before takeoff as I was leaning down talking to Pico to keep him calm. The guy asked me if that was my child in the seat in front and he would swap seats if I wanted. He had that deer-in-the-headlights look when I said "No, it's my dog here under the seat that I'm talking to, but thanks anyway".

I always fly through DFW and usually have time to take him out for a quick pee break between flights. There's a tiny patch of grass in the downstairs arrival outdoor area.....otherwise it's all asiatic jasmine and he won't pee in it!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update...Teddy was in his carrier last night the whole time I cooked his dinner and while I did a bunch of things around the house...it was fun carrying him around and watching his face as we twisted and turned...usually he is being held close with my hand so this was a new experience.

He did great...today, if the heat is not oppresive (not looking good), I am going to take him out for a walk...or maybe I will go to home depot or petsmart.

Thanks everyone.

Susan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts