Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped Henry off for a dental procedure this morning. He had two loose teeth that needed to be removed. Well the vet just called and said he needs to have 14 teeth pulled! 14!!!
The poor little guy. He will only have 7 teeth left.
I have brushed his teeth and applied a special gel every single night since he was a puppy. I just don't understand why nothing seems to work... I have tried so hard to avoid this for him - the guilt!
Has anyone had any luck preventing dental disease?

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,113 Posts
I dropped Henry off for a dental procedure this morning. He had two loose teeth that needed to be removed. Well the vet just called and said he needs to have 14 teeth pulled! 14!!!
The poor little guy. He will only have 7 teeth left.
I have brushed his teeth and applied a special gel every single night since he was a puppy. I just don't understand why nothing seems to work... I have tried so hard to avoid this for him - the guilt!
Has anyone had any luck preventing dental disease?
I'm sorry that little Henry has to have so many teeth removed. I think Pipper has lost a total of about 14 but he still seems to have a mouthful of teeth. I always feel so guilty too because I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I think it's just the overcrowding in these tiny mouths and no matter how much we try, we just can't prevent it. Sending prayers he's not too uncomfortable afterwards.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much Kathy. That is what both my vet and the vet dentist have said. It is just the tiny mouths. I still feel so bad for him! I wish that there was something I could do to prevent it.
I hope that you and Pipper are doing well! Whenever I think of Pipper I think of him spinning! :)

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,048 Posts
I am sorry Kathleen. Luck had amazing teeth, the vet at Cornell remarked she had never seen a small dog with such perfect and white teeth, and he never had dental work. Casper is not so fortunate, I clean his teeth twice a day, but I he has tarter. I thing the difference was that Luck was addicted to carrots, Casper not so much.

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
5,897 Posts
Sorry Kathleen, and so sorry for Henry. You know my girls dental disaster and that was even brushing every single night. I honestly don’t think we can’t prevent it and really believe it’s all about genetics.
Hoping Henry had a pain free recovery. Sending big hugs from all of us. xxxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts