Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whew!!!! What a day.
Four hour drive each way but boy was it worth it.

He sounds like one of those little squeek toys.
You know the kind you press their belly? He is in his pen now. Spilled his kibble all over his pen and is prancing around eating it. The bottle in the pen leaks. I followed the directions but it still leaks so had to give him a bowl with water in it.

Took him outside to pee and poop but NO WAY!!!!
He wanted to play, run laydown, and walk on his hind legs!!!! Brought him in and he promptly pooped and peed in his x-pen. ummmmmmmmmm what is a mama to do.

He needs a little trimming I can see that. Way to much hair on his feet so need to get busy on that.

Can't wait to get pic on for you all to see. For now the only one I have of him is
<-----over there when he was 10 weeks old.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Congratulations!! I can't wait to see pics and hear all about the puppy antics.

-c

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Congratulations!!! I'm so glad it all worked out.

Regarding the water bottle, etc., personally, I think it is best for them to drink out of a bowl. I had a water bottle for Catcher at first but he really prefers to lap up water from the bowl. The bottle is just so slow... I think it is great in a crate where they are not active and might want some water and it won't spill, but for general use, I think the bowl is best!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Connie, that's great!
He's finally home!! I hope your first night goes smoothly
and let us know more about him tomorrow!! And more pictures!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
awesome! i cant wait to live out my "puppy fever" thru you! congrats on the new kid, and dont leave out a single detail of all the trouble he gets himself into

ann marie and the "noselicks and buttsniffs to the new kid on the block!" buttercup

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Tonight you may want to sleep in a chair with him so he won't cry and so he'll know that he is safe with you. I have found that by sleeping with them their first couple nights they get off to a great start. Some people let them cry all night but IMHO that is stressful on the little puppy and totally unnecessary.

After the first couple nights, let him sleep in your room in a crate and where he can see you. Then things should be fine....

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
You are so right! He is the cutest thing!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Connie,
Hope things go OK tonight. I got Sadie at 14 weeks and she slept all night. The older they are, the better they sleep, I think. I'll be watching for more news. Good luck!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok gang!!!! The first night was wonderful!!!! We played with him and let him run his energy off and around 8:30 put him in his x-pen with his crate inside of it and two stuffed toys.

At 9:00 I checked on him and he was sound asleep in his crate with the door open so he could go in the x-pen if needed. I had a baby monotar in his room and our bedroom and he never made a peep until around 4 this morning. I could hear him chomping on his food that I had left for him. Since the breeder didn't feed him yesterday for the trip over the mountains we just felt he needed to eat when he wanted to the first couple days. He got quiet after that little munching and went back to sleep. We got up at 6:00 and he came running out of his crate to the corner of the x-pen.

He had peed and pooped in the x-pen. I had put a peepad in there cause the breeder had trained him to newspaper. I know how to teach outside, (like no playing until you go) but he won't get out from under my feet to go potty. Maybe today I will put a harness on him and see if that works. His little body is so low to the ground I can't tell if he is going or not.

Hubby and I did trim him up around his lower lip and his feet. He looks much better.

YOU ALL WERE RIGHT!!!!! These little guys don't just fall in love with you, WE fall in love with THEM. I had NO IDEA!!!! My hubby has turned into Mush over this little guy. All of the sudden my hubby "think" he knows more about the breed. lolol I have been doing all the reading but he still thinks he is the expert on "HIS" dog. Now where did he ever get the idea it waw HIS????? lolol

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I'm so glad things are working out for you and your little guy. This breed is indeed very endearing.

I'm glad he is adjusting and sleeping without crying, etc. That's great! You may want to consider having him sleep in your room. Dogs are pack animals and they really do want to sleep where the rest of the "pack" sleeps.

And that is great that you are letting him eat when he wants to. My breeder recommends free feeding for puppies. I did that for both K & C and then went to feeding 3 times a day and now that they are adults they eat twice a day.

The free feeding and hand feeding when they were puppies did not in any way adversely affect their ability to accept two meals a day as adults. I did the same with my first Malt, Rosebud, and it didn't negatively affect her either. K & C eat their meals with gusto.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts