Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Menachem is scratching his right ear alot. Sometimes to the point of making little cuts on his ear
. I try to keep them very clean but he keeps scratching. Should I take him to the Vet or is this just a puppy habit?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Sounds like it could be an ear infection. Take him to the vet. Do you smell anything foul? If you took a cotton ball or a q-tip and sorta wipe the rim of the inside of his ears, do you get anything?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Apr 5 2005, 07:18 PM
Sounds like it could be an ear infection.  Take him to the vet.  Do you smell anything foul?  If you took a cotton ball or a q-tip and sorta wipe the rim of the inside of his ears, do you get anything?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49386
[/QUOTE]

I get a little bit of gunk but I think it might just be dried blood. The smell doesn't seem terrible.

I have no problem taking him to the vet, though. It's just he (the doctor) already asked if I was a "new Mom". I guess I'll have to get over it - I am a new Mom and I love it!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww Poor baby. I think he has a yeast infection. It's not easy smelling a yeast infection. It can be totally faint or have a vinegary smell. But inside they have this nasty stuff that is red/brown in color. Some can mistaken it as blood too.

It'll all be ok once the doctor takes a look at the ear. If it's a yeast infection, they'll give you eardrops to put in his ears for 2 whole wks. It'll be ok soon. Maybe the doctor asked if you were new because you werent sure what's wrong with your baby. It's all ok.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
That type of scratching is not normal at all. Poor baby's ear obviously is itching like crazy. I'd take him in. "Better safe than sorry"... that's what I always say.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE!

We just got back from the vet and my little guy does have an ear infection.

I have to give him drops and antibiotics for 10 days. The worst part is - the cone!
We have to keep him from itching so his poor little head is in a cone.

Giving him the ear drops just broke my heart. He was not happy at all. I hope he doesn't hate me forever and knows I am just trying to make him feel better.

Boo-Hoo

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
AWWWW, poor baby. He should get better dramatically after the first couple of days! He'll get well in no time.
But, umm, I never heard of using a cone for an ear infection. They didnt say to wear it for the whole 10 days, did they?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Apr 6 2005, 02:34 PM
AWWWW, poor baby.  He should get better dramatically after the first couple of days!  He'll get well in no time.
  But, umm, I never heard of using a cone for an ear infection.  They didnt say to wear it for the whole 10 days, did they?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49684
[/QUOTE]

Yes they did! Poor Mencahem can't figure out how to get comfortable. He is resting his head as he sits beside his bed. Do I have to keep him in the cone? Or if he stops itching can I give him some relief?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Gosh, I'd hate to say not to listen to your doctor. Is it a yeast infection? Cloud had a yeast infection and ear mites and never did he have to wear a cone. And the yeast infection was HORRIBLE looking. I think his doctor is being extra cautious. Maybe wash his paws clean after each time you take him out and watch to make sure he isnt scratching to prevent it from getting dirty???

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice. I think I will leave it on for a little - or at least a while after I put the drops in. And, I will keep a really good eye on him - he is now chilling in his "house
" (crate).

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Yeah, stay on the safe side. Cloud got better reallly quick so I know you don't have to leave the cone on for the whole 10 days, but definitely use the dropper for the full 10 days. Don't worry!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts