Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

He's scratching........

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  ButterCloudandNoriko 
#1 ·
Happy Menachem is scratching his right ear alot. Sometimes to the point of making little cuts on his ear
. I try to keep them very clean but he keeps scratching. Should I take him to the Vet or is this just a puppy habit?

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Apr 5 2005, 07:18 PM
Sounds like it could be an ear infection.  Take him to the vet.  Do you smell anything foul?  If you took a cotton ball or a q-tip and sorta wipe the rim of the inside of his ears, do you get anything?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49386
[/QUOTE]

I get a little bit of gunk but I think it might just be dried blood. The smell doesn't seem terrible.

I have no problem taking him to the vet, though. It's just he (the doctor) already asked if I was a "new Mom". I guess I'll have to get over it - I am a new Mom and I love it!

Discussion starter · #6 ·
UPDATE!

We just got back from the vet and my little guy does have an ear infection.

I have to give him drops and antibiotics for 10 days. The worst part is - the cone!
We have to keep him from itching so his poor little head is in a cone.

Giving him the ear drops just broke my heart. He was not happy at all. I hope he doesn't hate me forever and knows I am just trying to make him feel better.

Boo-Hoo

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Apr 6 2005, 02:34 PM
AWWWW, poor baby.  He should get better dramatically after the first couple of days!  He'll get well in no time.
  But, umm, I never heard of using a cone for an ear infection.  They didnt say to wear it for the whole 10 days, did they?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49684
[/QUOTE]

Yes they did! Poor Mencahem can't figure out how to get comfortable. He is resting his head as he sits beside his bed. Do I have to keep him in the cone? Or if he stops itching can I give him some relief?

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I will leave it on for a little - or at least a while after I put the drops in. And, I will keep a really good eye on him - he is now chilling in his "house
" (crate).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.