Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in contact with a breeder in Tennessee via email and I did ask about the price and the method of payment for a female puppy, but I didn't get an answer. I called today to make final plans about picking up the puppy on Tuesday and how to make the payment. I filled out an application and I have everything that I need for the puppy. I was in total shock when I found out that her price for a male puppy is $2,500 and a female puppy is $3,500. To say that I am disappointed would be a major understatement. I was thinking about an initial investment of somewhere in the neighborhood of $750. Could someone please help me?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Jun 11 2005, 02:14 PM
I have been in contact with a breeder in Tennessee via email and I did ask about the price and the method of payment for a female puppy, but I didn't get an answer.  I called today to make final plans about picking up the puppy on Tuesday and how to make the payment.  I filled out an application and I have everything that I need for the puppy.  I was in total shock when I found out that her price for a male puppy is $2,500 and a female puppy is $3,500.  To say that I am disappointed would be a major understatement.  I was thinking about an initial investment of somewhere in the neighborhood of $750.  Could someone please help me?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71654
[/QUOTE]

If I remember your original posts, you were buying from a show breeder with a number of years experience. I would say her prices are withing the range or pet pups, though maybe on the top 50% range.
Females of good quality are very hard to come by. Females are often kept by the breeder, or go to other show homes. I've only sold one female in three years. She was sold in less than 24 hours of my decision not to show/breed her because she was too small.
There are Maltese out there cheaper. You will just have to decide on what you want as to quality and reputation of the breeder.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Wow!! That's really expensive and we thought that 1800 dollars for a female maltese was alot! I dont know what to say,
Hope everything gos well though!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Jun 11 2005, 03:14 PM
I have been in contact with a breeder in Tennessee via email and I did ask about the price and the method of payment for a female puppy, but I didn't get an answer.  I called today to make final plans about picking up the puppy on Tuesday and how to make the payment.  I filled out an application and I have everything that I need for the puppy.  I was in total shock when I found out that her price for a male puppy is $2,500 and a female puppy is $3,500.  To say that I am disappointed would be a major understatement.  I was thinking about an initial investment of somewhere in the neighborhood of $750.  Could someone please help me?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71654
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, I know how disappointed you must be... you were all ready for her.... I think you can find a good Maltese for a bit less than this breeder was asking. But you may need to go for a male rather than a female.

Prices at reputable breeders start at about $1,500 and that is for a male ... that is a breeder who doesn't let her pups go before 12 weeks, AKC (not APRI, etc.), good pedigree, etc. There are lots of threads on here about the price of Malts. Here are some that hopefully can be of some help to you. Good luck!!!

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3985

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=943

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3223

1 - 5 of 5 Posts