Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont have a maltese YET but i will get one .the main reason i joined is i need help from the experts here on how i can pick a maltese puppy that will be the size i want.i dont want the puppy to grow and be to small and i dont want the puppy to grow and be to big.i want the puppy to be a healthy medium in size as an adult not to small not to big. also i want a boy :biggrin: so can someone please help me so i dont end up picking a puppy that will grow to be to small or grow to be to big. PLEASEEEE AM TOTALLY LOST .oh if this helps i want him to be medium in size but small enough that i can carry him in a those purses especially for dogs so i can take him with me practically every where am a BIG dog lover :wub:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Welcome! You will love it here, there are so many helpful members that can help answer any questions you may have.

It's great that you don't want a teeny-tiny Maltese! The breed standard calls for Maltese to not exceed 7lbs, so one on the higher end of the standard is still a very small dog, yet not huge. Both of mine are 7lbs (I am trying to get my boy down in weight just a little...he's a little "fluffy") and anywhere in the 5-7lb range is perfect! Most reputable show breeders will be able to help guide you to a puppy that is expected to reach the size you want.

One way to start researching reputable breeders is to visit the American Maltese Association breeder referral list: American Maltese Association

Not ALL reputable show breeders are listed there, but it is a good place to start! Please make sure you only purchase a puppy from a breeder who is actively showing their dogs in AKC conformation. If they do not show their dogs to Championship, they are not reputable breeders. Backyard Breeders (BYBs) are irresponsible and do not do proper research in their dogs' histories to breed to the AKC standard. In addition, puppymills are horrid so please stay away from them, as just like BYBs, they breed just for money.

Depending on where you live, there may be quite a few reputable show breeders that you can speak with about finding the perfect little boy for you. :) I love the boys...I have one girl & one boy, and Preston is the light of my life!

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Welcome to Spoiled Maltese! Are there every any dog shows near you? That's a great place to meet maltese and their breeders. A show breeder most likely will know the ancestry of their dogs....as they breed selectively always striving to perfect the breed...I think that would be a good place to start. What part of the country are you from?

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Welcome to SM,we love to see new members and piccies of fluffs....

We have a contest we all participate in a shelter challenge we vote in. Voting is easy,free and no sign ups. We vote everyday for an agreed upon shelter. This time it's Northcentral Maltese Rescue Inc. in Racine Wisconsin. If you click on the link below for the shelter challenge,you can put in "WI" for the state and "Racine" for the city... It will give 7 choices,#5 is Northcentral Maltese Rescue Inc,...hit the vote buttton,the next page will show an animal,you type in the name of the animal and hit "confirm vote".
After that,each time you go back to the page to vote ,it will generally remember which shelter you voted for towards the bottom,you click the vote button and confirm.
You can vote 12 hours apart,so if you vote at 9am,you can vote at 9pm.

Please consider voting, it's important since it means donation money for animal rescue...

If you have any questions,feel free to post them or PM me or any member.

Thanks!!!!! Welcome to SM!

Link http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3&link=ctg_ars_home_from_ars_shelterchallenge_leftnav_logo

Look for the Shelter Challenge tab on the far right,click on it and look for the state and city info and fill in WI for state and Racine for city,look for Northcentral Maltese Rescue Inc. and VOTE button,confirm on next page...just that easy!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
The AKC standard reads between 4-6 lbs preferred. That doesn't mean bigger isn't fine too. Just be sure to go to a good and reputable exhibitor breeder and she/he should be able to give you a close estimate of what the size of the pup will be grown.
Welcome to SM!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Welcome to :Welcome 4: !!! Nice you joined to the forum!

Hope you'll find your fluff baby very soon!

Alexandra :wub:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts