Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just joined and I own two beautiful little Maltese's a boy and a girl.
Could anyone tell me how do I get her coat to grow to floor level,should I wrap it as am uncertain. I've got her on a conditioning supplement but is there anything else I could try to speed up its growth. She's just turned a year old. Many thanks and look forward to chattig to you xx:blink:

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Hi and welcome!!

You can't rush genetics - wrapping the coat won't 'make' it grow any faster, but it protects the ends from breaking off, so you don't lose length. I just started wrapping my girl who just turned a year - and I'll tell you it's a pain!

Here she is a few days after her 1 yr bday.

Her coat has an average growth speed - but she has longer legs so it has taken longer to reach the ground

Are you showing your girl? If she is just a pet, I wouldn't worry about wrapping. There are things you can do to reduce breakage - like no carpet or stairs, and keeping off the grass as much as possible. Excessive playing with your other dog too can cause breakage (and mats)

Good luck and I sure hope you share pics!!

Oh what conditioning supplement are you using? I use Gro N Glo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:ThankYou:Hi,
Thank you so kindly for your message and your advice. Yes I do show my littke Angel though I've only started to do so this year and am a newbie to Maltese's.. My little boy is nearly 2yrs old so it would only be 20mths that i've had my very first Maltese. Also there are very few Maltese's in Cornwall where I live so it's very difficult to really know all there is to know about this delighful little breed. I appreciate any advice you can give me that'll help me with showing her especially. I've been giving her Dr Kruger's healthy skin and coat formula which I bought online from America. Your Maltese is absolutely gorgeous. What is the best thing for slight tear staining for my little boy. Many thanks. Dawn

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Welcome!

I don't show Malts either but my Sasha who is pet quality has a silky coat that would drag the ground if I didn't trim it.
Emily is cottony so her coat comes close but only when I first bathe and flat iron her,after a while the fur dries out some and gets fluffy and doesn't hang down as far.
It's really genertics. I'm not sure how my Rylee and Bitsy will be,they were shaved really short when I got them and are getting long now. Not sure how long they'll get.
I know carpet will break the ends off badly.
I'd try Cowboy Magic,it wil help protect the coat against friction of combing and fabrics or carpet. It also helps w/ those sticky turds on the bum...

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Silk coats can be a little slower to come in but so worth it when they do. I would just be diligent in grooming daily and keeping the coat clean as dirt and dust do take their toll. If you are going to wrap her be sure to zig zag the back hair part so breakage isn't on the top layer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, yes I do show her but am still learning about the Maltese,i've only had this delightful little breed 22mths. I do use Dr Kruger's healthy skin and coat conditioner which I got online from america. Your dogs are so beautiful. Any advice or help you can give me would be greatly apreciated. I bought 8 books on the breed before I bought one lol. Also did alot of research on the internet. x

·
Registered
423 Posts
Growing coat is a labor of love! I do show my boy who I special. You can only wrap the hair if its long enough. He is in oil and wraps and it does give his hair a better chance of not matting or breaking. Brushing the hair dry will break hair as well. What the dog sleeps on can also help with coat damage. Hope this Helps.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Hello, I'm Peter and I have a beautiful 1 yr old maltese. She's my mrs. We wish you all the best.
Too bad you had to put a London carpet cleaning company in you siggy - you could have learned something here. Bye,bye!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ohh, what does that mean? I noticed that on his original post but I didn't know what it meant. Does that imply it's just a spammer or whatever?

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Too bad you had to put a London carpet cleaning company in you siggy - you could have learned something here. Bye,bye!
Good catch Marsha - we had a ton of spammers this weekend. I reported them all and assume Admin's been busy.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Good catch Marsha - we had a ton of spammers this weekend. I reported them all and assume Admin's been busy.
Usually after having been reported they are placed in the elite group - Banned - but apparently admin thinks this one may have something more to offer other then carpet cleaning.

ANGELCAKE: - :Welcome 4:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts