Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dealing with two major problems right now. Oscar is five and has been with me for only two weeks. Prior to living with me he had one owner who seems to have been good for him but I think he left him alone a lot. The major problems are: constantly licking himself into a frenzy-self pleasure? And constantly chasing his tail and yelling, or should I say barking? Add a little separation anxiety and I am a very anxious multis owner. Anyone have any advice for me?
Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi, I would bring him to the vet for a checkup. It possibly maybe allergies. Some doggies have allergies and do what your describing. My dog used to lick his paws when he was younger his fur turned red. And it was allergies and the vet prescribed a pill to calm it down. Hope this helps. 🐾

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I would bring him to the vet for a checkup. It possibly maybe allergies. Some doggies have allergies and do what your describing. My dog used to lick his paws when he was younger his fur turned red. And it was allergies and the vet prescribed a pill to calm it down. Hope this helps. 🐾
Thanks so much. We visited the vet a week after I got him and she found nothing wrong with him. However she said if he keeps frantically chasing his tail that I should bring him in and maybe put him on meds. I’m not in a rush to do that. But thank you so much for replying and I am planning to take him back. Enjoy your day!

Marlene

On Jul 16, 2022, at 11:36 PM, Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums <[email protected]> wrote:
Coster replied to a discussion you are following at Hi everyone! I’m Oscar’s mom .
Thanks so much. We visited the vet a week after I got him and she found nothing wrong with him. However she said if he keeps frantically chasing his tail that I should bring him in and maybe put him on meds. I’m not in a rush to do that. But thank you so much for replying and I am planning to take him back. Enjoy your day!

Marlene

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,136 Posts
Marlene---I get your drift & that is a habit some male dogs pursue! It sounds like he needs more human stimulation. Are you home w/him most of the time. Kitzi can get into this if he is bored---mostly the licking not the tail biting. Have you done blood work & urine sampling? What kind of food does he get? Just trying to think here w/you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marlene---I get your drift & that is a habit some male dogs pursue! It sounds like he needs more human stimulation. Are you home w/him most of the time. Kitzi can get into this if he is bored---mostly the licking not the tail biting. Have you done blood work & urine sampling? What kind of food does he get? Just trying to think here w/you.
I so appreciate your thoughts. I took him to a vet a week after I got him and she drained his anal glands thinking that might help with his licking and no he is not left alone a lot as I am retired. However, I moved up the transition ladder too fast and now I’m paying the price I think. So I’m working on leaving at smaller intervals. He had blood tests but that’s all he had. I’m thinking of going back to the vet if this compulsive behaviour continues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as the food he gets he was eating pedigree kibbles when I got him. Then I upgraded to food from the pet store and I may have transitioned too quickly in that area too because he had diarrhoea for three or four days. I fed him rice , chicken and chicken broth and I think he is fine now and we’ll go back to the better and improved kibbles from the pet store.

·
Premium Member
18,136 Posts
Just asked about the food as lots of maltese have issues w/chicken or by-products in pet food. I finally ran a panel on both dogs so I would know what to give them. I still play around w/stuff but not w/things on that list. Both of mine have allergies although Lisi more so. I do try to give them a variety.

·
Super Moderator
10,396 Posts
Leaving for a few minutes at a time is a great way to help ease separation anxiety. Do you have a camera system where you can see what he does after you walk out the door? If he gets anxious as you actually leave, a small "kong" (be sure it's the original made in the US as those are safer) stuffed with his food might keep him busy for a while.

My holistic vet also recommended a couple of natural approaches to the severe separation anxiety one of my dogs has. There's a supplement called Separation Anxiety by Jackson Galaxy Solutions. The label says for cats but my holistic vet recommended it for my little mix dog. You can find it on the Jackson Galaxy website. I also sometimes diffuse an animal-safe essential oil called Calm a Mile by AnimalEO. The oils are formulated by a veterinarian and a pet-safe when used as directed. Her websits is animaleo.info. I've found both of these natural approaches to be very helpful, in addition to the behavioral conditioning.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just asked about the food as lots of maltese have issues w/chicken or by-products in pet food. I finally ran a panel on both dogs so I would know what to give them. I still play around w/stuff but not w/things on that list. Both of mine have allergies although Lisi more so. I do try to give them a variety.
Thanks so much for the advice. After 4 days on rice, chicken and broth, his stomach has settled.

·
Premium Member
18,136 Posts
I did not realize he had had a tummy issue---I was referring to the tail chasing, biting & licking. That can be a self-soothing reaction to allergies. I would still advise running a panel w/your local vet (blood test) to see if any allergies present themselves. It is impossible to know just by guessing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did not realize he had had a tummy issue---I was referring to the tail chasing, biting & licking. That can be a self-soothing reaction to allergies. I would still advise running a panel w/your local vet (blood test) to see if any allergies present themselves. It is impossible to know just by guessing.
Thank you. I really appreciate your thoughts. Actually, he did have a blood test at his initial visit with the vet. I’ll bring it up at his next appointment.

·
Premium Member
18,136 Posts
Yes, ask for allergy panel. Dr. Dodds (Hemopet---google it) also does this so look at that site if you vet is unwilling or unable to do one. Allergies not included in normal blood work-up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts