Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my maltese this coming Saturday. Does anyone have any advice for this expectant mother. He's twelve weeks old. I am a little confused about crate training. I am taking a week off work so I have time to get him situated and use to the new surroundings.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
and Congratulations!
I don't crate mine, so others will have great advice on that!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by brooklyn+Mar 20 2005, 08:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Mar 20 2005, 08:12 PM

and Congratulations!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44729
Thanks for the response! I work during the day and I have been told that crate training is a must. Are there any alternatives?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44731
[/B][/QUOTE]

Crate training is great.... I've used it for all my dogs in the last 25 years or so.

To find lots of posts about crate training..... go to the top of the SM page and click on "Search". Then type in "Crate Training" and lots of posts will come up.....

Here are K & C in their crates ..... I like this type because it offers a view of everything and lots of room to stretch, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Mar 20 2005, 08:18 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2005, 08:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Mar 20 2005, 08:12 PM

and Congratulations!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44729

Thanks for the response! I work during the day and I have been told that crate training is a must. Are there any alternatives?

[/QUOTE]

Crate training is great.... I've used it for all my dogs in the last 25 years or so.

To find lots of posts about crate training..... go to the top of the SM page and click on "Search". Then type in "Crate Training" and lots of posts will come up.....

Here are K & C in their crates ..... I like this type because it offers a view of everything and lots of room to stretch, etc.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44734
[/B][/QUOTE]

Your babies are so cute!!! I brought a crate but it is smaller than the ones that you have shown. I have looked at some of the other post on SM and most suggested that a small crate is all that is needed. The crate that I have is 22x13x16. Should I return this one and get one that is larger one?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley was gated in the kitchen while we were gone. He did fine, but he is wee pad trained, so he would use those. He has a BIG crate now, that I put him in when the plumber, exterminator, people like that come.
We call it his apartment. It is big enough for a small toy basket, a small bed, and a small litterbox with his pad in it...not much room after that...but enough to walk around a little. :D

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey had an exercise pen when she was a puppy. I had her crate, puppypad, food, water and toys in the pen when I wasn't with her. Lacey slept in her crate until she was about 11 months old. Now she sleeps with me every night. When I couldn't be with her I placed her in the pen. It worked great for us.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Glad you found us!

Beastie has a large crate, and we used to put his wee wee pad, bed, food, water and toys in it, but now we attached an exercise pen to it and we just keep the pad inside the crate. His bed, toys, food and water are outside the crate and inside the pen. This seems to keep him happier with more walking area, and he doesn't pee except for inside the pad in the original crate. We call it his condo.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
welcome!!! im sure you're excited. I dont crate either....i heard its great though.

and...i just have to say that kallie and catcher look like they're in jail!!! LOL. their expression looks like "mommy, i swear i'll be good". LOL

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I crate trained and it was the only way I could get success (check out the Petsmart training book). We started out with a smaller one, so there were only room for his bed and toys. Once he was doing good we got a much larger one. Puddles never pooped or peee in the crate, guess we were lucky.

Now he's allowed to stay free in the kitchen and living room, with no accidents during the day. At night all I have to say is bed time and off he goes to his crate. The only reason we use it at night is, I can't get much sleep with him wanting to play (biting my toes).

Also the great thing about him liking the crate is when people come over with roudy kids, Puddles can go in his crate and be safe. If he should ever had to go stay with our friends his crate will go to, hes own bedroom/safe haven.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Welcome!!! I'm so excited for you!!! When I first got Peanut he was already pee pad trained, so I didn't really need to use crate training, but I do have a crate. He uses it as his own little bedroom now. Others here will have better info for you. I just wanted to welcome you and your new pup!!!! Be sure to post pics when you get him!!!!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Welcome
I don't crate train so I can not offer any advice there. I just wanted to welcome you and l look forward to hearing all about your little one.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Just wanted to say WARM WELCOMES!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

I don't crate train--I have two Maltese (one 18 months, one 16 weeks) and an older Chihuahua mix, and they all have free run of the house (it's puppyproofed). Luckily, our pup Shrek came to use housetrained (Yay!).

Although I haven't done this with Sylphide and Shrek, but used to use this method when I did rescue (I rescued and fostered pregnant mothers and entire litters): baby/pet gating is an alternative to crating (you keep the puppy confined to a gated area while you are gone). That way, the pup has more room to move around and play in the day. Of course, you'd want to put a bed, food and water, and lots of toys in the gated area.

If you are using wee-wee pads: there is a housebreaking spray that you can spray on the pad to make them want to go on the pad. It works great.

Welcome from Sylphide, Shrek and I. We look forward to your stories and photos

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hi and welcome to SM. You will find many people here to help any way they can!! I am a new Mom too.....We have crate trained Sisse. When we are not able to watch her closely she retires to her "Casita" with a toy. Her bed is in there with her. She has never had an accident in her Casita. She also sleeps there at night. The crate training is just wonderful for housebreaking. I think it trains US as much as it does her. She goes to the pee pad (outdoors) immediately after she is let out of her crate so she doesn't have any accidents. If she pees in the house, it's OUR fault, not hers....she is now 18 weeks old and has not had an "accident" in the house for over a week now. She comes out of her crate and goes to the door. When she is playing in the house she also goes to the door and whines to go out. When she gets into "trouble" in the house it's because we are not watching her well enough, we will crate her until we can give her our full attention. She also goes into her Casita on her own to just nap or time herself out!! She has one special toy that she takes in there with her, she does not get that one at any other time. She has gotten to the point that she won't go INTO the crate without this toy!!

It is a wonderful tool for training on many different levels. Her Casita has NEVER been used for "punishment". She finds comfort and safety there. Sometimes when dogs in the neighborhood are barking like crazy, she will grab her toy and go in there on her own. I really think she does feel safe in there.....!!!

There are lots of great books out there on crate training, even our VET has part of her website devoted to it. At first I thought it was going to be cruel, and then the more I read the more I realized it's benefits. Do give it a try, you and your puppy will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I crate trained Lexi and she loves her crate. I have the MidWest LifeStages Puppy size crate. It is actually a little big for Lexi. I'm in the process of looking for a 2nd puppy. For this puppy I'm going to get a smaller crate because when I travel I put Lexi's crate up in the back seat and I can't fit 2 of that size crates in my back seat.

The 22" X whatever crate should be fine. That is the one I'm looking at.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts