Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I joined this forum because my little baby is SICK!

Bubbles is SHEDDING really bad... to the point where you can see a BALD spot on her back. She has never shed before, she is 3 y/o. You can basically see patches and patches of bald spot on her!

Background: She was vomiting and having soft stool a week ago and she was lethargic. So, the vet gave us sucralfate and sulfasalazine for her. He told us to gave it to her 2X DAY for 4 days, I only gave it to her for 2 days because she was getting better. Then she started shedding... she is normal again, very active BUT she's just shedding too much. You can just pet her and get a huge fur ball from it! Nothing change in her diet aside from the shampoo that I'm using (a tearless one). The only thing that I can think of... is before all of this happened. She played in the backyard with the kids for about 45 minutes which we never do since we keep her as an indoor dog. She always have been healthy with perfect coat, she only eat organic food and everything. I will take her to the vet on Monday if I can get an appointment. I just want to know if anyone has experienced this before with their angel.

(Sorry, this is my second post about this. Just really worried because our vet clinic here in the base is close on the weekends. We're stationed here in Japan, I'm in the military BTW)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
I wish I could help but I have no idea what is wrong. It's too bad there isn't a vet open on the weekend. I'll keep her in my prayers.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
An allergic reaction to certain things such as a flea bite can cause extreme shedding and bald areas. I noticed you mentioned Bubbles had been outside one day playing for the first time because he is strictly an indoor dog. That makes me think it could be an allergic reaction to something he came in contact with outside. I hope he is alright. Welcome to SM!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ruth! Hopefully you're right... That it's only an allergy. Me, the wife, and the kids are freaking out about it. Behavior-wise, Bubbles is fine... it's just thé shedding... Her hair is all over the house!

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Welcome LB and Bubbles -- not sure what the hair loss is about. Could definitely have to do with being out and being out a long time - coming into contact with something or bitten or allergic reaction to environmental allergens. I also know that with humans sometimes if they go through a health trauma, a while after they can start to lose hair. It grows back but a lot comes out. Not sure if that may have been a result of being very sick. Hope you can get to the vet soon but very happy he's fine and acting fine.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Welcome! Bubbles is adorable. It is so hard when our pups are sick. Let us know how it goes. Did you do a google search on this? Might help.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Were you able to get Bubbles into the vets? It sounds like an allergy or if she's been under any stress it could be stress related. Hopefully you were able to get Bubbles into the vets today and find out what's going on with her.

I also want to thank you for Your Service to Our Country!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts