Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! My name is Michelle and I am the proud mommy to five human babies and 1 furbaby. My furbaby is a German Shepherd-Lab mix named Giselle. She's HUGE at a whopping 95 pounds and she is 12 years old. She's still quite active and very healthy. We got her as part of a rehoming when her last owner had a baby and couldn't afford her upkeep with her new addition. We loved her immediately :wub:. She's been with us for 15 months and now that I am going to be home full time indefinitely with my 3 year old and Giselle I think it's a great time to add to our family. We are adopting a Maltese-Bichon mix on Friday who is 7/8 Maltese, 1/8 Bichon. Hope I'm still welcomed here even though I won't have a purebred B). I'm sooooo excited. Another lapdog! :aktion033: I had two Poms in the past but my Ty-guy was dognapped while at the sitters and Kiki passed away. I was afraid to get a tiny pup sooner because I wasn't sure how the kids would be with a little dog but I think they'll be just fine. Did I mention, I'm soooo excited?!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
:Welcome 3: Glad you joined us here!
You kids should be fine with a smaller doggie as long as kids don't pick her up. And with your GSD, just please, please don't ever leave them alone together when you go out. It would be good to get a crate for your new doggie, so she could have her own place when you go out or when she doesn't want to be bothered with the kids. :) Don't forget to show us pictures!

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
:Welcome 3:You will love it here.

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
welcome!

I agree with Briana(ilovemymaltese), the GSD/Lab should never ever be alone with your new pup(and even if/when she's an adult).
I have a 5lb maltese and 2 15lb jack russell/pom mixes and I never leave them alone with the maltese - even just rough play could hurt him.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Welcome to SM. You will get some good advice here about how to manage a relationship between your two dogs.
Can't wait to see pic's.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
What a lucky little doggie to get adopted by such a doggy-lover ! You are more than welcome here with your new Fluffbutt ! You will learn so much and make so many valued friends.

But please heed what others have warned -never leave a toy dog with a large breed unattended. I did and I lost 1 year old my maltese. My Sheltie who loved the 4 lb Maltese accidentally killed her . All it took was one canine tooth that pierced her rib cage/lung while playing.

I imagine that your 12 yr old GSD being a senior citizen will not really "play" with the Maltese but just understand that dogs are dogs and separate them when you are not present. A good investment would be one of those pop-up dog play yard Xpen( its sort of like a playpen) I have 2 of them and they are great. It will keep your Maltese safe and secure.

Also never leave any toddler alone with any dog. Both toddlers and dogs can be unpredictable.

Best of luck with your new addition

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Welcome to SM.
We had a 95 pound german shepherd too,she was such a sweetie. We had her for 12 years,she was an animal shelter adoptee. We had cocker spaniels so we didn't have to worry,too much about them getting hurt but we still didn't leave them alone to play,just in case. As she got older she wasn't as rambunctious.

We have 4 malts and a cocker so we watch carefully when my son brings his 9 month old german shepherd/lab mix. She wouldn't intentionally hurt them but the size disparity would be enough to cause alarm.Especially Rylee,he's only 3.5 pounds...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! I will heed all this incredible advice and do all I can to keep my new baby safe. I am glad to be here and get to know you all... and I will CERTAINLY post pics!!!

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Hi and welcome :) You came to the right place.

I am sure that you will love it here. Any questions you have, everyone will be so helpful, so feel free to post.

I sure wouldn't leave my malt unsupervised with a big dog, but I think that you will take very good care of your future malt. I bet that you have been doing excellent in taking care of Giselle ;)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i love the name too its my human niece's name lol ..

where in ny do u live ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in Penfield, it's just outside of Rochester! :) Giselle is my big baby! I hope she doesn't get too jealous... lol!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hello all! My name is Michelle and I am the proud mommy to five human babies and 1 furbaby. My furbaby is a German Shepherd-Lab mix named Giselle. She's HUGE at a whopping 95 pounds and she is 12 years old. She's still quite active and very healthy. We got her as part of a rehoming when her last owner had a baby and couldn't afford her upkeep with her new addition. We loved her immediately :wub:. She's been with us for 15 months and now that I am going to be home full time indefinitely with my 3 year old and Giselle I think it's a great time to add to our family. We are adopting a Maltese-Bichon mix on Friday who is 7/8 Maltese, 1/8 Bichon. Hope I'm still welcomed here even though I won't have a purebred B). I'm sooooo excited. Another lapdog! :aktion033: I had two Poms in the past but my Ty-guy was dognapped while at the sitters and Kiki passed away. I was afraid to get a tiny pup sooner because I wasn't sure how the kids would be with a little dog but I think they'll be just fine. Did I mention, I'm soooo excited?!
WELCOME! I was born in NY and lived there till I was 26. Now in AZ for the past 32 years. You will love it here...I'm a newbie too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts