Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m Foxy’s mom. Foxy is a 13 year old Maltese who we got when she was 7. She was dumped on the streets by the former breeder that decided they didn’t want to breed Maltese pups anymore. He said he breeds Maltese and shihtzu dogs. I don’t think my fur baby is purebred but maybe she is the European type or whatever. Foxy is 11 pounds and enjoy exploring and playing. Her age does not fit her personality but we had the documents of her exact age.

we don’t keep long fur on her but We ended out trimming her ears quite short. Again, I dont Think she’s purebred but maybe y’all can give me ideas of what she may be mixed with.
Feel free to ask questions and here are some pic of my baby.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Terrier

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Companion dog

Dog Blue Yellow Carnivore Companion dog

Carnivore Felidae Dog breed Fawn Whiskers

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Whiskers Fawn

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Toy dog

Dog Carnivore Mammal Dog breed Companion dog

·
Registered
115 Posts
i don't have any idea whether she is a purebred or not but she is very cute. The word "breeder" is used loosely for someone that would dump one of these angels on the street. Bless you for taking her in and giving her a good home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't have any idea whether she is a purebred or not but she is very cute. The word "breeder" is used loosely for someone that would dump one of these angels on the street. Bless you, for taking her in and giving her a good home.
YA. So glad we caught her. SPCA wouldn't get involved. It took 6 months to catch her. Another 2 to let us pick her up. Then she melted into an angel.

·
Registered
MILLIE, BABY {4-25-22}, & KAR {1995 aprox.}
1,410 Posts
I love foxy to bits. Was just curious lol/ Would never give her back/
Foxy is wonderful!! I'm so happy & very thankful that she is your fur child now! You are her guardian angel! She looks like 'mainly' Maltese to me. That being said, 11 pounds is heavier than Maltese breed standard as you had mentioned & given her history can't tell for sure just by looking at her. Perhaps if you have the budget for it, or can save up for it consider a DNA test? Embark has a few types. I just did the new one they have to determine 'Age' because our fur child is a recent rescue too {Oct. 15th 2022} and I'm waiting to find out her age results. The shelter where we got her said she is 12 but she acts younger so we did the DNA test. They also have a DNA test for 'Mixed Breed' & one for 'Purebred'. I would probably do the one for 'Mixed breed' since your not sure & the test should give you what her mix is. If you google it Embark has the largest 'gene pool' from which to gather draw their results which is the reason why I chose that one, although there are other highly rated brands such as 'Wisdom Panel'.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Foxy is wonderful!! I'm so happy & very thankful that she is your fur child now! You are her guardian angel! She looks like 'mainly' Maltese to me. That being said, 11 pounds is heavier than Maltese breed standard as you had mentioned & given her history can't tell for sure just by looking at her. Perhaps if you have the budget for it, or can save up for it consider a DNA test? Embark has a few types. I just did the new one they have to determine 'Age' because our fur child is a recent rescue too {Oct. 15th 2022} and I'm waiting to find out her age results. The shelter where we got her said she is 12 but she acts younger so we did the DNA test. They also have a DNA test for 'Mixed Breed' & one for 'Purebred'. I would probably do the one for 'Mixed breed' since your not sure & the test should give you what her mix is. If you google it Embark has the largest 'gene pool' from which to gather draw their results which is the reason why I chose that one, although there are other highly rated brands such as 'Wisdom Panel'.
I got a few dna testing hand they don’t have instruction. Fell free to continue replying people

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
It's difficult to tell without a DNA test. And some people have received very strange results on some brands of DNA tests. One of my dogs was advertised by her all-breed rescue group as a schnauzer, because that is what she looked like at the time. Her first adopter had a DNA test done, and it said she was half poodle, and the other half was a herding breed and unknown other breeds of that type. Nothing schnauzer-ly or terrier-ly. She gave the dog back to the rescue group after 5 months, supposedly/I think because she thought she was allergic to poodles.

I am sure you are not going to give your dog back at this point, but if you are just curious, you might get some perplexing results. :D

She looks so different depending on her haircut. Then I also realized your profile picture is not her, but a stock photo, complicating things.

Because of her muzzle length, I was wondering if she might be part Lhasa Apso. I pulled a supposed Maltese from a public shelter, and the lady who took her is sure she was a Lhasa Apso. But that is fine, because Lhasas were her first favorite breed. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi I’m Foxy’s mom. Foxy is a 13 year old Maltese who we got when she was 7. She was dumped on the streets by the former breeder that decided they didn’t want to breed Maltese pups anymore. He said he breeds Maltese and shihtzu dogs. I don’t think my fur baby is purebred but maybe she is the European type or whatever. Foxy is 11 pounds and enjoy exploring and playing. Her age does not fit her personality but we had the documents of her exact age.

we don’t keep long fur on her but We ended out trimming her ears quite short. Again, I dont Think she’s purebred but maybe y’all can give me ideas of what she may be mixed with.
Feel free to ask questions and here are some pic of my baby. View attachment 276438
View attachment 276439
View attachment 276437
View attachment 276436
View attachment 276435
View attachment 276434
View attachment 276433
Our "Maltese" ended up being a 2nd generation Maltipoo, when we did a DNA test through Embark. If you want to know, that is a good place to go through. We were very happy with the results.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts