Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Im new to your group. often come on to read tips and advice and now have a new pup after 15 plus years with my amazing fur baby Max who sadly passed away last November.
I now have a little pup who is 3 quarters Maltese, 1 quarter Poodle.
Max was full Maltese and I had hoped to find another full Maltese again but every pup now days is the new designer dog!
My little pup is called Phoenix and he has just turned 4 months old. I got him at 8 weeks old.
He weighs just on 6.5 pounds.
He is very very fussy with food so has been on a puppy powdered milk.
Im hoping to get some advice on how to deal with a fussy little eater as I have never experienced this problem before.
Thank y

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,875 Posts
Has he been to the vet? Some dogs are just pick eaters, but sometimes there may be a medical cause. You might want to try a little cheese as an incentive. Some dogs have problems digesting milk products, others do not. If he doesn't, cheese is a good protein.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Welcome💐
I would rule out any health issues first.
If your feeding treats or people food, I would eliminate it.
Set a schedule, routine is very important, maybe in a quiet area.
I pull the food after 15 minutes. Whereas Phoenix is still young, i wonder if you cld pull it and re-feed an hour later but that might start other issues 🤷🏻‍♀️
You could always try making it a game, teaching tricks etc easier done with kibble.
Its possible you need to change his food to something he likes more. Stella and Chewys makes a kibble. If its anything like their dehydrated raw, he will eat. I have yet to see a dog refuse that food. Its like a drug, seriously.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has he been to the vet? Some dogs are just pick eaters, but sometimes there may be a medical cause. You might want to try a little cheese as an incentive. Some dogs have problems digesting milk products, others do not. If he doesn't, cheese is a good protein.
Thank you for your reply. Yes he was at the vets for his last puppy shot and very healthy, the vet just said he was picky and to reduce his milk. I was reluctant to do so incase he got that low sugar thing but the vet said he was well padded and past that now.
So I have been reducing his milk and he does eat somewhat but holds out for his milk.
The milk powder is Di-vetelact So it has all he needs in it. I think I just spoilt him a bit with too many choices and obviously he prefers this nice creamy milk.
I have to get tougher but its had to say no to his little face.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome💐
I would rule out any health issues first.
If your feeding treats or people food, I would eliminate it.
Set a schedule, routine is very important, maybe in a quiet area.
I pull the food after 15 minutes. Whereas Phoenix is still young, i wonder if you cld pull it and re-feed an hour later but that might start other issues 🤷🏻‍♀️
You could always try making it a game, teaching tricks etc easier done with kibble.
Its possible you need to change his food to something he likes more. Stella and Chewys makes a kibble. If its anything like their dehydrated raw, he will eat. I have yet to see a dog refuse that food. Its like a drug, seriously.
Thank you for your reply.
I do give him cooked chicken breast from time to time, he used to love that but gone off that too recently. I am sure I made him fusy.
He came to me at 8 weeks old , I read it was far too young but over here in Australia it is ok. He was eating really well at first until I messed things up by offering him this powered milk. I just wanted him to have the best start in life and as he was so young I didnt think it would be a problem to give him this what I thought would be just a added top up to his food.
But he now loves the milk, he watches me make it up in the morning and barks for it! He will eat royal canin dry and I hide it in his treat toy and he eats it from there no worries.
When I ran out of milk for a day! He then ate his food so I think its obvious that I made him a fussy little pup.
Im just worried now if I pull back from his milk he wont eat well so wont grow etc.
He will be 4 months one week tomorrow and weighs 6 and a half pounds. He is chubby but solid. Vet said he was in good health just fussy.
Im not sure if I should expect him to grow according to a Maltese size or a Multipoo size.
But he is always on the go, like a wind up...crazy. Very rare to get a cuddle for more than a few mins, although he is getting better at sitting nicely next to me and not nipping at me non stop!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your reply.
I do give him cooked chicken breast from time to time, he used to love that but gone off that too recently. I am sure I made him fusy.
He came to me at 8 weeks old , I read it was far too young but over here in Australia it is ok. He was eating really well at first until I messed things up by offering him this powered milk. I just wanted him to have the best start in life and as he was so young I didnt think it would be a problem to give him this what I thought would be just a added top up to his food.
But he now loves the milk, he watches me make it up in the morning and barks for it! He will eat royal canin dry and I hide it in his treat toy and he eats it from there no worries.
When I ran out of milk for a day! He then ate his food so I think its obvious that I made him a fussy little pup.
Im just worried now if I pull back from his milk he wont eat well so wont grow etc.
He will be 4 months one week tomorrow and weighs 6 and a half pounds. He is chubby but solid. Vet said he was in good health just fussy.
Im not sure if I should expect him to grow according to a Maltese size or a Multipoo size.
But he is always on the go, like a wind up...crazy. Very rare to get a cuddle for more than a few mins, although he is getting better at sitting nicely next to me and not nipping at me non stop!
Oh he did have teething trouble about a month ago, the vet said his gum was inflamed due to teeth coming through etc so she said this would put him off eating. I gave him cold carrot sticks to help him and he loved them and now fine again. So maybe being sore for a week or two put him off eating and now he is afraid to again?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts