Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I recently adopted my baby boy from my local shelter in November 2021 and I want to learn more about his breed. I see he is VERY clingy, is this a Maltese thing?

Please let me know any tips I should know!

Ive added a picture of when we adopted him, his hair is growing back slowly but surely

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,083 Posts
He is cute. Yes dogs with Maltese in them can be very clingy. There were bred to be companion lapdogs, which is where mine spend much of his day. They can also get a bit protective of you, so it is good to social them to others.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
I agree w/Walter above. I think your pup is absolutely adorable but he does not look at all like a maltese---not that this matters in the least---all small dogs are welcome on SM! Do you know any of the pup's history?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree w/Walter above. I think your pup is absolutely adorable but he does not look at all like a maltese---not that this matters in the least---all small dogs are welcome on SM! Do you know any of the pup's history?
Hi! Thank you! I must be honest that we adopted him from our local shelter and they just said he was a Maltese. I plan to do a DNA test on him however because he does look iffy! Thank you for welcoming us however!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is cute. Yes dogs with Maltese in them can be very clingy. There were bred to be companion lapdogs, which is where mine spend much of his day. They can also get a bit protective of you, so it is good to social them to others.
I will be doing a DNA test to be make sure if he's mixed (we got him from our local shelter and thats all they said, that he was a Maltese) I have however noticed he is very clingy 🥺! I can't lay down, sit, go anywhere without him wanting to be picked up and cuddled.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,083 Posts
I will be doing a DNA test to be make sure if he's mixed (we got him from our local shelter and thats all they said, that he was a Maltese) I have however noticed he is very clingy 🥺! I can't lay down, sit, go anywhere without him wanting to be picked up and cuddled.
Not sure it is necessary, you rescued a dog that adores you that is all that matters. The only reason it is helpful to know the lingeage is so you can look for signs of hereditary diseases. Maltese can have knee issues, liver issues and dental issues, not all do and also these are common to most small breeds. In gact most of what we discuss here is applicable to most smaller dogs.

He looks like a snuggler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts