Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time writing on any type of website. Anyway, I'd like to introduce myself and my baby boy Nibbles. Nibbles (named by my kids on the drive home) is 11-weeks old and is on the feistier (sp?) side. I've read all the comments about the mild-mannered dogs/puppies most everyone has and I wonder if Nibbles will ever mellow out. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and can't wait to be a part of this site.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hello and welcome toSM. Sounds like your little furbabys full of spunk too.I think they mellow out as the get older.Rudys just full of himself and thinks everyone and most everything was put on this earth just for his enjoyment.He's so much fun but boy he can wear a mom out :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Just wanna say WARM WELCOMES TO YOU AND NIBBLES! I love the name!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by lonestar@Feb 27 2005, 08:55 PM
Hello and welcome toSM. Sounds like your little furbabys full of spunk too.I think they mellow out as the get older.Rudys just full of himself and thinks everyone and most everything was put on this earth just for his enjoyment.He's so much fun but boy he can wear a mom out :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38301
[/QUOTE]
Hi. Thanks for the welcome. How old is Rudy? Did he listen to you when you tried to train him? Nibbles is very hard headed and will growl and bite when I try to train him. I just worry because he still runs at my children's feet and will bite them when they try to pet him. My trainer suggested we use a spray bottle, lemon and even toothpaste. None of that seems to really deter him. Any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Welcome!
My little Ruby Jean is very shy and more sweet then feisty-if I starty playing to hard she will run and get in her bed......so I can't help you but many people on here can! Just wanted to welcome you!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
AWW. Nibbles...what a cute name!!!
Welcome!!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Welcome to SM! Your baby's name sounds like a name i named my bunny.. cute!
Kodie is very active too and its almost 2yrs old... i just think maltese are like that for a long time... hhaha.. maybe until they get really old.?!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by jaker@Feb 27 2005, 11:45 PM
I've read all the comments about the mild-mannered dogs/puppies most everyone has and I wonder if Nibbles will ever mellow out.  Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks and can't wait to be a part of this site.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38297
[/QUOTE]

He is a normal puppy. Is he your first puppy? You sound like I did many years ago when I got my first Maltese, Rosebud. I was overwhelmed and almost gave her back to the breeder. I didn't know what to do with all that energy, biting, etc. It WILL get better.... these little ones are just so full of themselves and every week things will slow down a little.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by jaker@Feb 28 2005, 12:32 AM
Nibbles is very hard headed and will growl and bite when I try to train him.  I just worry because he still runs at my children's feet and will bite them when they try to pet him.  My trainer suggested we use a spray bottle, lemon and even toothpaste.  None of that seems to really deter him.  Any words of wisdom?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38326
[/QUOTE]

How old are your children. He likely sees them as his littermates and not as anyone in authority so he will play with them like he would play with a puppy... and biting is a big part of it. It's good that you are working with a trainer. He is still very young yet. Most Maltese do not even go to their homes until 12 weeks and those are easier to train... I got Rosebud and Kallie at around 8 weeks
and Catcher at 11. It made a huge difference.......

·
Registered
894 Posts
Welcome to SM!! I think they all go through the biting stage. Sis is still nipping when she gets really excited, but a stern "no bite" and we keep eye contact with her until SHE looks away seems to work for us. We also remind her of the popular saying "puppies that bite play alone". Just within the last few days here if she starts in with the biting we don't even have to say no, we just make eye contact with her and she stops.......

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 28 2005, 10:56 AM
Welcome to SM!!  I think they all go through the biting stage.  Sis is still nipping when she gets really excited, but a stern "no bite" and we keep eye contact with her until SHE looks away seems to work for us.  We also remind her of the popular saying "puppies that bite play alone".  Just within the last few days here if she starts in with the biting we don't even have to say no, we just make eye contact with her and she stops.......

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38454
[/QUOTE]

I've noticed as Catcher has gotten older that he is a lot more responsive to correction. When he was younger (he's 9 months now) and he would bite when we played and I turned away he would continue to bite!! But now if he gets too mouthy when we play I just stop playing, fold my arms across each other and turn away and he'll stop right away and look sort of dejected.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Welcome to SM jaker! so glad u found this wonderful site!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Feb 28 2005, 07:37 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-jaker
@Feb 28 2005, 12:32 AM
Nibbles is very hard headed and will growl and bite when I try to train him.  I just worry because he still runs at my children's feet and will bite them when they try to pet him.  My trainer suggested we use a spray bottle, lemon and even toothpaste.  None of that seems to really deter him.  Any words of wisdom?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38326
How old are your children. He likely sees them as his littermates and not as anyone in authority so he will play with them like he would play with a puppy... and biting is a big part of it. It's good that you are working with a trainer. He is still very young yet. Most Maltese do not even go to their homes until 12 weeks and those are easier to train... I got Rosebud and Kallie at around 8 weeks
and Catcher at 11. It made a huge difference.......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38442
[/B][/QUOTE]
Actually, I made a mistake. We got Nibbles when he was 11 1/2 weeks old. He's now 15 1/2 weeks old. Yes, he's my first puppy and I do think Nibbles thinks my kids are his litter mates. He plays with my 3 1/2 old like that more than my 5 1/2 year old.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts