Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! :)

Two weeks ago, my wife and I brought home our new puppies... two sisters that we named Tinker Bell and Tiger Lily. I am excited that I found this forum... In the weeks before we brought them home, I was researching everything you can think of and I hope to get more information and advice here.

The girls are about ten and a half weeks old and cute as can be! We've been busy trying to house train them a bit (they are doing great) and socializing them (they start puppy class next week, after their second vet visit). I welcome any advice or information on anything... :)

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Hello and Welcome! Two babies at once....my you're brave :HistericalSmiley:

Wow, do puppies really start classes that young? Will they have had all their shots by then?

I'm glad you found us and i can't wait to see more pictures of the girls and hear all about them!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The puppy classes they are starting in are actually puppy parties... just a socializing thing to get them used to being around other dogs. We've been doing what we can to socialize them around people--they do very well--but they haven't been around many dogs, besides their mom and their grandpa (who is my mom's dog... lol). They are very friendly and even their vet noticed they are "confident" (her word) and not scared or skittish. So.... hopefully, it will be good. Puppy parties only are available between 8 weeks and 16 weeks. They didn't get their first set of vaccinations until two weeks ago. Their second set is next week and after two sets, they can start the parties. :)

It's funny... I researched so much, like everything I could think of, but what I didn't research was if getting two puppies at once was a good idea. It wasn't until they were already home that I was researching info on training two puppies and saw that everyone was saying it was a bad idea to get them together. But it's going really well. We give them lots of individual attention and they just love each other to pieces... they alllllways cuddle. I honestly don't think it's much harder to have two puppies than one, though. I think if anything it makes it easier... when one is being naughty and stressing me out, the other is being super cute and makes it easier. :)

Everything I read said that the pups would decide who the dominate one is between the two of them but that hasn't happened. It really seems to go back and forth with who is in charge. Their personalities go back and forth, too. Sometimes one is being really difficult and her sister wants to just be sweet and cuddle and sometimes it's the other way around. Who knows.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Welcome to SM. Your pups are just babies so you won't see a lot of things right now. I hope you refrain from taking them out among other dogs until they've had all their shots. Normally, responsible breeders do not sell before 12 weeks of age.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Welcome to SM. Your pups are just babies so you won't see a lot of things right now. I hope you refrain from taking them out among other dogs until they've had all their shots. Normally, responsible breeders do not sell before 12 weeks of age.
I agree here, I would be VERY cautious about having them around other puppies right now. Parvo can be very deadly to little pups. I definitely understand you wanting to socialize them, but maybe you can do that without them leaving your arms and without being on the ground?

Welcome to SM! I hope you don't take offense to what I am saying - I really only have your puppies best interest in mind. Please post some pics of your babies, I'd love to see them!

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Hi & welcome to SM :)

I agree here, I would be VERY cautious about having them around other puppies right now. Parvo can be very deadly to little pups. I definitely understand you wanting to socialize them, but maybe you can do that without them leaving your arms and without being on the ground?

Welcome to SM! I hope you don't take offense to what I am saying - I really only have your puppies best interest in mind. Please post some pics of your babies, I'd love to see them!
I have to agree with the posts above.

As Stacy said, we only have your puppies best interests in mind :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the welcomes!

I joined the forum to get more information, advice and input from other Maltese owners. :)

As far as socializing goes... I will welcome opinions on this. Everything I have read has said the first twelve weeks are the critical period of socialization for your pup; the puppy socializing parties are only available until the pups are 16 weeks and require they be through the second shot of the series.

The girls have been to the vet, had a physical, had negative fecal tests, their first vaccinations and are on necessary monthly medication for parasite prevention. My plan was to start socializing them after their second vet visit where they would receive the second shot in the series and their vaccination for bordatella. It sounds like you do not think this is enough so I am wondering about how to go about getting them properly socialized by twelve--or even sixteen--weeks when they will not be through with their vaccinations by then. What I am reading is saying they need to meet tons of people, tons of dogs, go to tons of new places and encounter new things and new situations everyday, all by about 12-14 weeks, to be properly socialized. How do I safely do this? I do not want the girls to become aggressive OR fearful.

I tried to include some pictures... hope it works...? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry those pictures were so huge... hahahaha.... how do I make them smaller? Anyway, that's Tinker Bell in the upper left and her sister Tiger Lily in the upper right... and of course, they are cuddling in the bottom two.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Congratulations, they are absolutely adorable. The third cuddling one almost looks like one with two heads :LOL: :wub: :wub:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
oh wow they are so beautiful:wub:
it is so nice that they have each other
I wish I can add a second malt but hubby is not for the idea........yet !:blush:

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
They're adorable reminds me of Emily and Sasha when they were little.
I got two sisters at a time too,they go back and forth as to who's dominant,they really don't sem to have a dominant one set up yet and they turned 7 yrs old. I started puppy classes at 12 weeks. I was working on tricks at 8 weeks and they were rolling over,sitting,dancing and staying before the classes.
The classes would have started when they were 8 weeks but I wanted them to have all their shots and booster before I took them near other dogs.
They learned so fast compared to my cocker who learned the same tricks at 4 months instead of 2 months like the Malts.
We also took them everywhere so they were well socialized.
I'm glad we got two at a time,they keep each other company and we don't have to share,who holds a fluff....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awww.... thank you to all of you! We happen to think they are extremely adorable as well but of since we are their moms, there's a chance we could be biased... ;) Of course, I think all of your pups are cuuuute, too. I'm liking all the pups with the long silky coats. So beautiful.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We are glad we got two, too. They do keep each other company and they do love each other so much and I agree, no fighting over who gets to hold the pup when there is two of them and two of us! We do separate them a lot, though, so that they bond to us and not just each other. Give them individual time and attention and lil trips in the car...

I think we are going to pass on the puppy classes for now. Our pups weren't weaned until we picked them up, literally, so they were late getting started on vaccinations and probably won't be done in time...? But maybe they can still get in to the last class or two. It's better safe than sorry. And we do get them out of the house a lot. They do meet strange people all the time with no issues at all and they see other pups at the pet stores and stuff without getting stressed so I will just hope that is enough for now. My mom owns the dog that is their grandpa and they do get to go over and spend time playing with him. :)

And I agree... Maltese are so smart. I read so much about how puppies can't house train at this age and don't get discouraged, they can't control it till they are older, all that stuff... but the girls started going on the piddle pads the day we brought them home. They have had a couple of accidents but they are mainly doing so well. Really really smart lil girls. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts