Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought she was having hiccups! I did a search and I guess I was right. She's had them a few times since I've had her. Tonight she sounded like she had this internal burp or something and next thing I know she had hiccups again! They didnt last very long but they sounded painful. She didnt particularly notice anything. I tried scaring her with a "boo" and that didnt work.

Anyway if anyone was curious- I found this:

Hiccups in Dogs

Dogs, particularly puppies, can get hiccups just like people. A spasm in the diaphragm pulls air abruptly into the lungs. The sudden rush of air can move the vocal cords creating the familiar sound.

Hiccups can come in rapid succession or have long delays in between. They can last for a few minutes or even longer. In general, hiccups are minor and usually go away on their own. They can be caused by what your dog ate or drank, some minor stomach disorder or stress.

If your dog hiccups all day, you should call your veterinarian. Hiccups can be exhausting and, in rare cases, could be a symptom of a more serious disorder

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Thanks for the info, Peanut hiccups when he slurps up lots of water at one sitting. So far it hasn't worried me though, I think it's kinda cute

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
that sucks that it sounded painful. the dogs have had hiccups a few times...i think its adorable. lol. one time ellie had the hiccups but i couldnt hear her. so cynthia was like "ok, be really quiet and you can hear it"....so we both got quiet...and you could see that ellie got super quiet and tried listening too!! LOL....so her hiccups went away.
i didnt hear it. lol.

it freaks me out whenever i get the hiccups though. i think "is this going to be the one that lasts for 20 yrs"....i guess i'm just weird. lol

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Thanks for the info. Noriko use to get hiccups alot when she was younger, but they never lasted long. I remember when I was working at Wolf Camera the Regional Manager visited and he hiccuped for 2-3 hours! I think I'd go insane hiccuping so much!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yes, we had a Vet call on this too!! I am sure our Vet will be glad when we "settle down" as new parents!! Sisse still gets them from time to time, she looks at us like "make them stop". We were told to give her a bit of Peanut Butter if they last to long....it seems to work most of the time!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts