Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Hiccups

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Caesar's Mommie 
#1 ·
I thought she was having hiccups! I did a search and I guess I was right. She's had them a few times since I've had her. Tonight she sounded like she had this internal burp or something and next thing I know she had hiccups again! They didnt last very long but they sounded painful. She didnt particularly notice anything. I tried scaring her with a "boo" and that didnt work.

Anyway if anyone was curious- I found this:

Hiccups in Dogs

Dogs, particularly puppies, can get hiccups just like people. A spasm in the diaphragm pulls air abruptly into the lungs. The sudden rush of air can move the vocal cords creating the familiar sound.

Hiccups can come in rapid succession or have long delays in between. They can last for a few minutes or even longer. In general, hiccups are minor and usually go away on their own. They can be caused by what your dog ate or drank, some minor stomach disorder or stress.

If your dog hiccups all day, you should call your veterinarian. Hiccups can be exhausting and, in rare cases, could be a symptom of a more serious disorder

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.