Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went shopping. I hate to admit this but very rarely do I look at prices with a lot of scrutiny. Today I went to PetCo/ PetSmart for wee wee pads and K9 Advantix.

The wee wee pads were priced about $1.00-$0.50 per pad. I thought geez that seems high. I didn't buy them because I was going also to Walgreen's and I wanted to compare the incontinence pads for human use ( virtually the same pads ) and guess what? They were less than 20 cents a pad- closer to 17 cents.

I also scrutinized the price of K9 Advantix...it was $65.89 for 4-4mL doses for a over 55 lb dog OR $58.65 for a 11-20 lb dog 4-1mL doses.........well me being a nurse I wanted to see the concentration strength......they were identical. So I calculated the dose for every 2 lbs of dog..........0.08mL for every 2 lb .... I could dose Twinkle ( 2.6 lb), Mimi ( 3.6lb), Emma ( 7 lb) and Katie (40 lb) all with 1 tube of 4mL ( the amount for 1- 55 lb dog) all I needed was a way to measure the amount. I went to Walgreen's and bought 4 TB ( 1mL in hundredths of a mL) syringes for $1.00 and drew up the exact amount for each one......from 1 tube !

The Bayer company would not approve. But I feel safer not over dosing my tiny girls and I resent how they package these meds for maximum profit not dog safety............they sell 4 - 1mL tubes for almost as much as 4 -4mL tubes. So I feel happy and I saved a boat load of money.........not bad for 1 day.

·
Registered
Frankie, Kelsey, & Poochie. Tanner & Jamie at The Bridge
3,597 Posts
Tanner & Frankie get Frontline. The lowest dose is for dogs up to 22 pounds. Since Frankie came to live here last year, I've been splitting the dose between the two of them. And nobody has fleas. You might want to check the price on Entirely Pets. I've found them to be pretty competitive.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Ebay and lots of online sites sells frontline in "kits" where you measure just what you need depending on the weight of your dog. Has anyone every purchased these? Are they the same? I've always bought the individual dosages but they're pretty expensive. The kits sell for about 1/2 the price and include everything you need to split it all up.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Ebay and lots of online sites sells frontline in "kits" where you measure just what you need depending on the weight of your dog. Has anyone every purchased these? Are they the same? I've always bought the individual dosages but they're pretty expensive. The kits sell for about 1/2 the price and include everything you need to split it all up.
I would be very nervous about buying flea preventatives off Ebay since there are so many counterfeit products out there.

Counterfeit Pesticide Products for Dogs and Cats | Pesticides | US EPA

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
You can also go through Groomers.com and Petedge to get Frontline and Puppy Pads at reduced prices - If you buy in quantity you can save a lot of money.

I usually buy Frontline Plus for all the dogs in my family about (6 dogs) for the entire summer at once and I save about 50% off of the retail price. Then everyone just get's it from me and pays when they pick up a box.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Cat, I purchased the underpads size 23" x 36" at Sams for 24.99 for 120 pads they work sooo much better and a little larger then the wee wee pads. Just a little hint for you and everyone else.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I buy some stuff at Drs. Foster and Smith online. Their prices are reasonable and there is no worry about fake prescriptions. I only use Frontline once a year or so, and I buy regular frontline (not plus) for cats as the dose is smaller. I also get my Interceptor from them. Much cheaper than at the vets.

I buy Potty Pads at Sam's Club. They are actually adult incontinent bed pads. They works very well, and they're cheaper than pet store stuff.

Other stuff, I buy online. I haven't been in a pet supply store since Nikki was a puppy. They are a ripoff.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Today I went shopping. I hate to admit this but very rarely do I look at prices with a lot of scrutiny. Today I went to PetCo/ PetSmart for wee wee pads and K9 Advantix.

The wee wee pads were priced about $1.00-$0.50 per pad. I thought geez that seems high. I didn't buy them because I was going also to Walgreen's and I wanted to compare the incontinence pads for human use ( virtually the same pads ) and guess what? They were less than 20 cents a pad- closer to 17 cents.

I also scrutinized the price of K9 Advantix...it was $65.89 for 4-4mL doses for a over 55 lb dog OR $58.65 for a 11-20 lb dog 4-1mL doses.........well me being a nurse I wanted to see the concentration strength......they were identical. So I calculated the dose for every 2 lbs of dog..........0.08mL for every 2 lb .... I could dose Twinkle ( 2.6 lb), Mimi ( 3.6lb), Emma ( 7 lb) and Katie (40 lb) all with 1 tube of 4mL ( the amount for 1- 55 lb dog) all I needed was a way to measure the amount. I went to Walgreen's and bought 4 TB ( 1mL in hundredths of a mL) syringes for $1.00 and drew up the exact amount for each one......from 1 tube !

The Bayer company would not approve. But I feel safer not over dosing my tiny girls and I resent how they package these meds for maximum profit not dog safety............they sell 4 - 1mL tubes for almost as much as 4 -4mL tubes. So I feel happy and I saved a boat load of money.........not bad for 1 day.
I do the same thing you did. I buy Frontline Plus in the big dog doses, we have one hugh mutt. Then calcultated it for the little guys.
I buy human pads instead of dog pads. The human ones are sturdier too.
I do think that they are over pricing pet items.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts