Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see anyone tell SM about the hotel issues, so thought I'd bring to everyone's attention...because I will never stay in a Hilton hotel again!

I'm writing to share my experience (and that of a few others) from the American Maltese Association Nationals. While the showing was fantastic, our stay was not. We were at the Hilton Atlanta Airport Hotel in Atlanta Ga. Of course, when a hotel signs a contract for an event like this and they are agreeing to host a National Specialty for a breed club, they KNOW we have dogs coming. The sales person that contracted it, waived the $50 per dog per night fee. The higher ups said, no it's against our policy.. Our chair said, well I have a signed contract that says otherwise and you need to honor it, since people have already booked the rooms for the event.

Well, it made them mad so they got "even" with us. They proceeded to patrol the hallways loudly, even knocking on doors to get our dogs to bark, kicked people OUT of the hotel (one guest/member had NO warning and had driven all of the way from Chicago) Some of us, they gave warnings to (I was told 3 warnings and you are out (for barking dogs) and I got two warnings, so couldn't go to several of the functions for a couple of nights until our Chair, negotiated us a room, on the main level of the hotel (where it was accessable to the public so anyone could have stolen our dogs!) to crate them. But it gets even worse... my good friend's dogs got TAKEN from her room and LOCKED in a room in the basement. So, essentially, they STOLE them with NO warnings to her. (one was in a seabreeze pen, which is extremely flimsy to be carried: ie: could have fallen apart on they way to the basement, etc).. I even said to security, as he was telling me I had to keep my dogs quiet, "why didn't you put us all on one floor, if other patrons are complaining". That was before I knew... it wasn't other patrons. The staff was responsible for it all.

Can you believe all of that!!! We did manage to still have a great time, although I left the banquet early, because I felt so bad for our dogs being left in crates in the "doggy detention" room all day! They were beyond stressed and I had to deal with upset tummies due to all of the stress :( after that.

So, boycotting I am. I'll never stay in a Hilton Hotel ever again and as I said on one review website...Paris HIlton, known "dog lover" should be ashamed!!!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
If that is what a Hotels act like when they say they are dog friendly then I sure would not want to see one that is not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet they did not have any problem taking your Money and all the money brought in by the Nationals being there. I am a little suprised though that is also where the hold the Atlanta Pet Fair grooming show.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that is what a Hotels act like when they say they are dog friendly then I sure would not want to see one that is not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet they did not have any problem taking your Money and all the money brought in by the Nationals being there. I am a little suprised though that is also where the hold the Atlanta Pet Fair grooming show.
They also held the Whippet Nationals there... they got treated the same way. I wonder if, when they sponsor the Grooming show, they charge their $50.00 per dog, per night fee? If so, they wouldn't have a problem.

I checked my dogs in the room on several occasions, when I first got there, they were not barking at all. Hotel staff made them bark. I also have word from another friend, that is staying in another hotel this weekend, same dogs...not one peep.

I will be writing to the Sr. Management of Hilton. The senior manager at this particular hotel is the one that came up with the solution of a room, on the main level, open to the public...so anyone could have taken any of the dogs. When we went out to eat, this is where they had to stay, or face being booted out. We were stressed the entire time we were gone.

It is just a shame to agree to hosting a dog event and then treat people and worse yet, DOGS, like this. And yep, they already had our money...so we were stuck.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If you want to read the stories from the other members that attended the specialty, there's a big thread on it. I didn't go, but just reading about some of the things really upset me! I'm so sorry you had a rough time too and didn't get to enjoy yourself as you should have been able to.

It's under anything goes and it's titled, "Nationals - Anyone writing to the Hilton Corporate Office?"

I wish I knew how to post the link, but I'm not that great yet. :(

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Honestly, i can see the hotel being 'justified' in complaining about the barking, because it was loud (and we were under AMA rules to have our dogs quiet in the rooms) . so for that, I don't blame the hotel having a problem and trying to address it. It is just the WAY they did it that is sooo inexcusable.

After seeing the security guards knock on a non-barking room, then reporting the room when the dogs started barking, I couldn't believe it. How many of our dogs remain quiet when someone knocks on the door???

I have posted a complaint on bringfido.com
Hilton Atlanta Airport and Towers Pet Policy

I hope the Cav club has been warned about the Hilton's attitude!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, i can see the hotel being 'justified' in complaining about the barking, because it was loud (and we were under AMA rules to have our dogs quiet in the rooms) . so for that, I don't blame the hotel having a problem and trying to address it. It is just the WAY they did it that is sooo inexcusable.

After seeing the security guards knock on a non-barking room, then reporting the room when the dogs started barking, I couldn't believe it. How many of our dogs remain quiet when someone knocks on the door???

I have posted a complaint on bringfido.com
Hilton Atlanta Airport and Towers Pet Policy

I hope the Cav club has been warned about the Hilton's attitude!

Stacy, first of all, if a hotel has a problem with barking dogs...then it shouldn't be booking a breed National. Pet dogs here and there, granted, the barking should be kept down (and working for a vet, I have a hard time tolerating obnoxious barking as well ;) but when you get THIS many dogs, all in one place....they ARE going to bark. What I said to the hotel manager was, WHY didn't you put ALL of the dog people on one floor... because I certainly wouldn't complain about the dogs across the hall barking if my dogs were barking too, correct? They wouldn't answer because it wasn't the patrons that were complaining... it was the staff who were directed to cause problems. AND, my dogs were NOT barking the first day we got there. This all started up on Friday afternoon. Our dogs were quiet all day long on Thurs and in between us being gone, I checked on them.

They didn't "address" anything, they caused it all. The dogs were made to bark. Totally unfair and not even in the same league as "no barking rules".

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you, karla, believe me!

I have notified some of my cavalier friends, since their speciality is this weekend at the hotel. I directed them to look at the comments on Bring Fido, since it has Sharon's experience posted.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Upon check-in, I asked the Reservations clerk "Are all the dog people on the same floor?" She said, "No, we can't do that." I then REQUESTED to be put on the same floor with other Maltese Nationals people. She said "Well, I'll see what I can do."

I know it is hard for them to reserve entire floors, when the Maltese people were checking in and out on different days, but they could have at least TRIED to get as many on the same floor is possible during the check-in process. Why should I have had to request it?

IMO, if you have booked a huge dog show at a hotel, then have a person staying there who is bothered by barking dogs, then you move THEM to a different part of the hotel. You don't make the people who are part of the dog show group move or leave, and you certainly do not have permission to touch or move their dogs. That is treading on thin ice, imo.

I'm not in favor of frivolous lawsuits at all, but if I had a show dog and they touched them, or made them stay in an unsecured area of the hotel, I'd be talking to a lawyer right now.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I'm not in favor of frivolous lawsuits at all, but if I had a show dog and they touched them, or made them stay in an unsecured area of the hotel, I'd be talking to a lawyer right now.

ditto. I didn't enter my dog in the show, but i do show her sometimes....so it doesn't even matter if you show your dog or not. If he/she is taken out of your room with out your knowledge, that's stealing private property!!!! If my dog had been taken, I don't know what I would have done, but I'm pretty sure I'd still be in Atlanta....in jail.

I never left my Ava alone.....it was just too risky from what I was hearing each day!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
ditto. I didn't enter my dog in the show, but i do show her sometimes....so it doesn't even matter if you show your dog or not. If he/she is taken out of your room with out your knowledge, that's stealing private property!!!! If my dog had been taken, I don't know what I would have done, but I'm pretty sure I'd still be in Atlanta....in jail.

I never left my Ava alone.....it was just too risky from what I was hearing each day!

I never leave Nikki alone but if I did and someone had touched her or moved her, I seriously would have lost it. It would have gotten very ugly and there would have been blood.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Upon check-in, I asked the Reservations clerk "Are all the dog people on the same floor?" She said, "No, we can't do that." I then REQUESTED to be put on the same floor with other Maltese Nationals people. She said "Well, I'll see what I can do."

I know it is hard for them to reserve entire floors, when the Maltese people were checking in and out on different days, but they could have at least TRIED to get as many on the same floor is possible during the check-in process. Why should I have had to request it?

IMO, if you have booked a huge dog show at a hotel, then have a person staying there who is bothered by barking dogs, then you move THEM to a different part of the hotel. You don't make the people who are part of the dog show group move or leave, and you certainly do not have permission to touch or move their dogs. That is treading on thin ice, imo.

And still...IF the problem had been other guests...this would all make sense, but it WASN'T... NO guest complained, so it wouldn't have mattered if we were all on the same floor or not! The STAFF was the issue. We were doomed, before we even got there, accordiing to my first personal discussion with Eva, the Chair. It was all set up to cause problems from the beginning because we got in there, without having to pay the $50 per night, per dog fee.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not disagreeing with you, karla, believe me!

I have notified some of my cavalier friends, since their speciality is this weekend at the hotel. I directed them to look at the comments on Bring Fido, since it has Sharon's experience posted.
Now, I have heard a total different story. On the Cav parent club website their nationals were in April. Another Cav breeder told me they didn't have anything booked at this hotel. Wow, I sure hope they are treated better than we were and they will be, if they had to pay the dog fees.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
And still...IF the problem had been other guests...this would all make sense, but it WASN'T... NO guest complained, so it wouldn't have mattered if we were all on the same floor or not! The STAFF was the issue. We were doomed, before we even got there, accordiing to my first personal discussion with Eva, the Chair. It was all set up to cause problems from the beginning because we got in there, without having to pay the $50 per night, per dog fee.
I didn't realize that they received no guest complaints! It seriously borders on illegal harassment, then.

I'm no lawyer, but I'd imagine the AMA or some individuals might have a case if they pursued it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't realize that they received no guest complaints! It seriously borders on illegal harassment, then.

I'm no lawyer, but I'd imagine the AMA or some individuals might have a case if they pursued it.
I believe some of them are.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Wow! I would have been very unhappy if I were there! When a hotel signs on for an event like this, they should KNOW that with dogs comes barking, etc. I do believe each guest with dogs should keep their dogs as quiet as possible and do their best to make sure their dogs do not soil or destroy anything..but with many dogs, there will be some barking. They made an agreement to not charge for the dogs and they should have honored it, without holding any sort of grudge. Someone with that hotel was responsible for creating contract with no pet fees.

If someone had moved my dog without permission, I would be livid. I'm not a sue-happy person either, but when it comes to the safety and well being of my dogs, I'm not going to mess around. I've stayed at a few hotels with my dogs..including a hotel that hosted the Bluebonnet Yorkie specialty last fall and a couple other hotels with with dog show guests, as well as a huge national yorkie meetup in Kansas City a couple years ago and I have never experienced any hotel that caused me any problems with my dogs. So the experience you all had is just rediculous...

Hopefully the AMA specialty in Dallas next year will be much better!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
This really falls on the sales rep who wrote the contract for the Hilton to the AMA. They fell down on the job and didn't place everyone together and alert staff as to what is appropriate. I would be speaking directly to him/her and what he/she intends to do about this for those harrassed and threatened as well as evicted. The people who had dogs taken out of the room need to consult their attorney. That's the way I see it.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Now, I have heard a total different story. On the Cav parent club website their nationals were in April. Another Cav breeder told me they didn't have anything booked at this hotel. Wow, I sure hope they are treated better than we were and they will be, if they had to pay the dog fees.
there is something going on there,
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club - USA - Current Events

I think this is a different club. I was confused too, LOL

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This really falls on the sales rep who wrote the contract for the Hilton to the AMA. They fell down on the job and didn't place everyone together and alert staff as to what is appropriate. I would be speaking directly to him/her and what he/she intends to do about this for those harrassed and threatened as well as evicted. The people who had dogs taken out of the room need to consult their attorney. That's the way I see it.
Actually, you are correct Brit, but here's why. the sales rep agreed to a contract that waived the pet fee (which was $50 per night, per dog) and upper management said "Uh, no, your club can't have that, that is against our policy". Our Chair said, "uh too bad, I have a contract" and there wasn't anything UM could do...so they staged this to cause problems because we got in, with no pet fee.

The person who had the dogs taken is one of my best friends. Trust me, she's looking into all options.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Disabling the keys is also harassment.

Wow, I didn't know all of this because I only stayed one night, and didn't leave Nikki in the room at all because I didn't go out for dinner.

What a childish and mean way to "get back at" - The wrong people! If the Hilton management had a problem with their events coordinator's and the AMA's contract, they should never have taken it out on the guests. The guests spent a lot of money at that hotel between the rooms and the restaurants.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts