Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regardless of whether I'm asian or not, this makes me so MAD. A hip hop radio station in NY aired a racist song not just against asians but towards the Tsunami victims. People are dead and kids are being raped and they laugh about it!

On Friday January 21st 2005, New York Hip Hop station Hot 97 (WQHT) aired a racist and offensive skit based on the song "We Are The World" called "The Tsunami Song". In it we are referred to as "screaming chinks" being washed away by a 20 foot wave. Here are the lyrics:

------------------------------------------------------------------
There was a time, when the sun was shining bright
So I went down to the beach to catch me a tan
Then the next thing I knew, a wave 20 feet high
Came and washed your whole country away

And all at once, you can hear the screaming chinks
And no one was saved from the wave
There were Africans drowning, little Chinamen swept away
You can hear God laughing, 'Swim you bitches swim.'

[Chorus]
So now you're screwed, it's the tsunami,
You better run and kiss your ass away, go find your mommy
I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head
And now your children will be sold to child slavery
---------------------------------------------------------------------

> CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE SONG AND PARTIAL PROGRAM

The 2 DJs who recorded the skit, Miss Jones and Todd Lynn repeatedly played the song after callers complained about it's insensitivity and blatant racism. When another DJ on the show (Miss Info - who is Asian and comments regularly on VH1s "Best Week Ever") opposed the song, she was verbally abused on the air by both Miss Jones and Todd Lynn. Todd Lynn actually said "I'm gonna start shooting Asians". Since that broadcast, neither Miss Jones nor her staff have apologized on their own behalf (the station issued a half assed statement of apology click here to read it.
You're gonna start shooting Asians huh? We can shoot too! But why resort to guns when you can hit them where it really hurts - The station's pockets. Instead of a bullet, shoot off your anger at the FCC and demand they be reprimanded and FINED for every broadcast of that skit. If the FCC gets enough complaints, it could fine them in excess of $100,000.00 (the maximum fine for indecency times the number of times they broadcasted the "Tsunami Song"). Remember the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction"? The FCC acted on thousands of indecency complaints and CBS was fined half a million dollars. Howard Stern has paid a very heavy price to the FCC for his indecencies as well based on numerous complaints. A hundred thousand dollar fine would REALLY hurt a single radio station.

If you are angry about this issue, instead of talking about it and complaining amongst ourselves, vent to the FCC. Let our anger be felt as a whole and unified community. Media personalities think they can disrespect us as a race without impunity and so far, they're right. This kind of thing will continue unless we let everyone know we will not lay down and take it. We cannot allow anyone to disrespect the hundreds of thousands of people who have died in the Tsunami tragedy and we cannot allow them to disrespect us as Asians.

<span style="color:blue">Here is the email address of the FCC to file your complaint (be sure to include all of the information below in your email in addition to your comments): [email protected]

The broadcast in question: "The Tsunami Song"
Date aired: Morning of January 21st 2005 (multiple airings)
Station call letters: WQHT-New York (Hot 97)
Offending DJs: Miss Jones and Todd Lynn
Offending lyrics:
---------------------------------------
There was a time, when the sun was shining bright
So I went down to the beach to catch me a tan
Then the next thing I knew, a wave 20 feet high
Came and washed your whole country away

And all at once, you can hear the screaming chinks
And no one was saved from the wave
There were Africans drowning, little Chinamen swept away
You can hear God laughing, 'Swim you bitches swim.'

[Chorus]
So now you're screwed, it's the tsunami,
You better run and kiss your ass away, go find your mommy
I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head
And now your children will be sold to child slavery

------------------------------------------

Only if the FCC gets THOUSANDS of complaints will they act.

For more information about this issue and for further action please Click here.</span>

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you imagine someone airing a nifty tune about 9/11 and all the firefighters that died and all the people that jumped to their death? Can you imagine a DJ talking about "shooting all african american people" on the radio? Do you see the hypocricy?

I already wrote to the FCC. I seriously hope they get fined. Racism sucks already, but you have no idea how much I hate when a minority is racist towards another minority!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by 2happymalts@Jan 26 2005, 06:47 PM
That is just disgusting, I do not understand some people's "sense of humor"  I think they must be demon possessed to be that heartless.  ughhhhhhhhhhh
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31767
[/QUOTE]

I agree totally!

Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Jan 26 2005, 07:09 PM
Can you imagine someone airing a nifty tune about 9/11 and all the firefighters that died and all the people that jumped to their death?  Can you imagine a DJ talking about "shooting all african american people" on the radio?  Do you see the hypocricy?     

I already wrote to the FCC.  I seriously hope they get fined.  Racism sucks already, but you have no idea how much I hate when a minority is racist towards another minority!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31770
[/QUOTE]

You are right, that would have NEVER been allowed to happen about 9/11 or anything that had to do with our country. I will take care of it tomorrow...thanks for bringing it to our attention!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ok i will admite i am one of those people with a kinda messed up since of humor some time and i really dont see that big a proublem with some cussing on the radio and tv ..... but that is just messed up, not even that fact that it is really to soon to be making any type of joke about that something like that song is sick this is the type of stuff that needs to be taken off the radio

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The radio station let them play the song for like 4 days straight! What is so funny about child slavery? I have a sense of humor too, but this just irks me.

This is just so calculating of them--To air something so controversal and increase their ratings. What are they apologizing for? This had to be premeditated. I bet they had an apology written up before they even had the song produced!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
man how can someone find humor in that song! that is horrible...how can someone support that song.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
yup the show has been suspended and they must donate a week's pay to the victims...a WEEK?! Send their arses over to help clean up the tsunami devastation. That's what I say!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Oh man. I just read this today. I wish I had seen it sooner. I am glad that something was done even though it wasn't enough. Suspending the show means that they got fired and they have to donate a weeks salery is their fine but if you ask me they should have paid more, apoligized on air, on TV, and in the newspaper and they should destroy ALL copies of that song, and of course still be fired plus NEVER be able to work in radio, or any media for that matter, ever again! Who do they think they are?
That song is not only against Asians but African Americans and Chinese, and anyone else who was there on vacation. There were Americans (caucasion as well as others) that were also killed in the Tsunami. And saying God was laughing and telling them to 'Swim you bitches swim' is offensive to Christians!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
a few of my bf's friends knew about this too (not that it matters but they are Asian also)... i was wondering how did you find out about it?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Jan 27 2005, 08:26 AM
Oh man.  I just read this today.  I wish I had seen it sooner.  I am glad that something was done even though it wasn't enough.  Suspending the show means that they got fired and they have to donate a weeks salery is their fine but if you ask me they should have paid more, apoligized on air, on TV, and in the newspaper and they should destroy ALL copies of that song, and of course still be fired plus NEVER be able to work in radio, or any media for that matter, ever again!  Who do they think they are? 
  That song is not only against Asians but African Americans and Chinese, and anyone else who was there on vacation.  There were Americans (caucasion as well as others) that were also killed in the Tsunami.  And saying God was laughing and telling them to 'Swim you bitches swim' is offensive to Christians!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31833
[/QUOTE]

Well said! I agree!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found out from an email. There is this record company that sends me emails on how their artists are doing and what not. They sent it to me. I think they're from NY. They also had a forum talking about it, but I was sent an email by them.

My bf said he heard about it on Talk radio. My cousin from VA found out through friends.

Yeah, this song isn't just about asians. But, later on the DJ themself talked about wanting to shoot all asians. And the discussion with the DJ's and the asian DJ was about race. It's just degrading in every way.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have absolutely NO WORDS to describe my shock. I too wrote to the station, FCC all the advertisers and to the CEO of the Stations's parent company. As managment myself, my disgust and shock starts with the CEO and goes downhill. If the CEO knew what was happening within it's own walls, this would of NEVER happened....at this time I am
to be an American......Please, let ME apologize to anyone that this offended..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts