Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep me in you thoughts as I've had hives for 2 weeks and ,it just went "ape poop" when they gave me steriods today to get rid of it.
I've got hives in places I didn't think existed! From the top of my head to my toes...even my ears!

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
That is not even funny. Last year my son got that and we figured it out, it was from the bounce dryer sheets. He was in agony. I am so sorry and I really do hope this ends and you get some relief :(
Sending Prayers * Positive Thoughts :grouphug::grouphug:

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
That is not even funny. Last year my son got that and we figured it out, it was from the bounce dryer sheets. He was in agony. I am so sorry and I really do hope this ends and you get some relief :(
Sending Prayers * Positive Thoughts :grouphug::grouphug:
Many years ago I too had unexplained hives... they'd disappear then out of the blue re-appear. I too found it was from coming in contact with anything that I had used a dryer-softener sheet with! I had tried them out from a free sample I had received.
Since sometimes it would be weeks before I'd re-wear an article of clothing or rotation of sheets/towels that had been in those loads, it took awhile to get the connection.

Another time a few years ago I awoke in the middle of the night feeling 'prickly'. I went to the bathroom to discover the hives forming from head to toe! We had been out to dinner earlier and feel it must have been something from the food. I took benedryl and that helped them to subside but it took almost 24 hours before they were all gone.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i hope they clear out soon !!!!
i hvnt had hies in yrs ,but my daughters get real big bad ones ... we figured out one of my daughters gets them after eating salmon.. and the other one we r still trying to figure out the cause of hers...

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
Oh no Michelle. Does sound like an allergic reaction -- either contact or food. Since my DS has food allergies I'm very familiar with them. As everyone said sometimes laundry detergents are a biggie...your sheets might have been laundered in something different. I am allergic to formaldehyde which is in almost all nail poslishes, shampoos (it's called Quarternium-everyone should look at their shampoo and conditioner), and as a finishing agent in some clothes. Many years ago as a skier I bought a bunch of turtle necks in every color. Wore one, took it off and I looked like I had a red and polka dot shirt on me. The whole top part of my body was covered. So think of things like that--even new clothes. As far as foods go - often adults get allergies to shellfish, fish and nuts at a later age (not childhood) even if they've eaten it all their lives. Odd with the steroid setting things off more. Benedryl might help somewhat. Use the liquid, not pills since it goes to work immediately instead of going to stomach and out to areas of the body. Don't use benedryl topical cream and ingested benedryl together. Maybe calamine lotion will help if itching a lot. Some people do get idiopathic hives that come from out of the blue for no reason at all but it's pretty rare. If you want to run anything else by me, just let me know. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Wow you poor thing! I hope you can figure out what is causing it! If it is the laundry soap, LMK and I can give you the recipe for homemade laundry soap. I have been making my own cleaners for a long time as one daughter has excema and another has asthma. Plus homemade is just all-around better for anyone's health.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still wish I kew what saused then,never had tem unil a few years ah=g mo neighbor,a doctor choped a byunch of it down and burned it with thewind burning in our direction Had it so bad they took me to the ER and fave me a shot,it really got bad them,iIf ound out one of the of the sideffects of that shot was hived.
Same doctor used to have his bee hives on other side of his poperty,he moved them to the side of the fense between out yard and his.....knowing full well Im allergic to br stinks, He's retired from hos medical practice but now is county coronor....bussinness but be slow so he;s cultivation his own... Well back to bed for a while now,meds are kicking in.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I hope you can find out quickly what has triggered them. My daughter had hives about 8 years ago very bad and it was from eating chocolate. She has eaten chocolate all her life and suddenly boum!
I got a special kind of hives 3 months after surgery. Lucky me they were not itching and were localized to the sides of my body. I would wake up in the morning with them and they would disappear during the day. This went on from May to November and they were gone. The year after same thing happened, started around May/June and lasted again until around November and then gone. I told the doctors that I think I got them from the antibiotic they gave me when I had surgery, but they said no, no, it's not possible since they appeared only 3 months later. I don't know but I had another surgery for hip replacement and a few weeks later I woke up with the same hives. This time they lasted only a couple of days and I have not had any since. Maybe they were idiopathic hives, I was just glad they did not itch. They prescribed me Zirtec and a cream for the itching called Triamcinolone Acetonide. Since I was not itching I did not use it. But it's coming handy for other skin allergies I get from touching products that don't agree with me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A few weeks ago DH and I had a bad rash. We figured out that Myah had gotten into Poison Sumac and transferred it to us. It was a itchy mess. DH must have been real allergic to it, he had to take steroids to clear it up. It did not affect my fur baby at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.