Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 7weeks Gizmo weighed 2.3. Atleast that's what it said on his vaccinations copy thinger when we took him to the vet. Um, Is that big for that age? I've read about other peoples maltese that are older being about the same or under, even. Not that it matters. Just curious! :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I don't know what Kallie and Catcher were at 7 weeks but my first Maltese, Rosebud was two pounds at 8 weeks and ended up at around 8.5 to 9 pounds. Seems like Gizmo is on the big side but not that much.... Catcher was 2.8 at 10 weeks and is 7 pounds now at 10 months.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
For comparison purposes i can tell you Sunny was 4lbs was 10 weeks and at 8 months (almost 9) he is 10lbs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll love him regardless! HEHEHEHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
His parents look really small, though. And since he's inbreeded (sp), wouldn't that make him smallER? Or no? Oh, well! Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Our puppy weighs 3.9 lbs. and she is 29 weeks old. She was just shy of 2lbs. when we brought her home at 12 weeks. I thought she weighs more than she does because her hair is getting long and it really makes her look much larger than she is.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by gizmo&me@Mar 26 2005, 12:09 AM
I'll love him regardless!  HEHEHEHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
His parents look really small, though. And since he's inbreeded (sp), wouldn't that make him smallER? Or no? Oh, well! Thanks for all the responses!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46365
[/QUOTE]

In one word...no. Size depends on a lot more than just the parents. Line breeding over generations does tend to reduce size and make dogs more consistent in size and look. However, inbreeding and line breeding must be done very carefully by a reputable breeder so that bad recessives don't turn up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts