Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:ph34r:

Ok, so this is TRULY something for the "anything else" category...but listen to this...

For the past several months, we have been drinking Folgers coffee that comes in the plastic storage container. Hubby got it on sale at his store. We like the plastic container for freshness purposes, even though we keep it in the freezer. I have never figured out why we do this...my mom did it...said it kept it fresher...but we drink a pot every morning...so it is not going to go bad...anyway, back to my point...(i am rambling)

Last night, I went to Walmart to buy groceries. We needed more coffee-so I bought our usual brand-the Walmart kind. We like it fine...it is cheaper...and I thought I would just pour it into the Folgers storage container.

So this morning I am getting ready to pour it in there and the Walmart can looked larger-but I thought maybe the Folgers was shorter/fatter...(ya know, the Piaget theory thing).... I checked the labels and both cans said 2 pounds 7 ounces.

I poured the Walmart kind into the Folgers container...and it didn't all go!!! :eek:
Now I am not talking about just a little bit didn't go...I am talking about a little over a cup and a 1/2 of coffee grounds ARE NOT going to fit into that Folgers container!!!!
(I measured it!)
Now...it IS possible that with some packing and settling-that more COULD fit into there-but not all that is left-I have never opened a can of coffee that is packed that tightly...only those "bricks"!

So, my question is....does the Folger's can TRULY hold the amount it says?

Does the Walmart brand really hold a little more?

Does anyone REALLY ever weigh/measure to see if the company is telling the truth?

Just really hard for me to believe the two amounts were SO different. Maybe it doesn't seem like alot of difference, but it is enough to notice that "something" is not truthful.

J

·
0 Posts
I guess the only way to find out is to buy both and measure. Don't drink coffee or I would try.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was talking to my grandmother this morning...and she said that even the cans are vacuum sealed...that is why they "hsss" when you open them at first...BUT-after you break the seal....and let the pressure out...the can is still full...it doesn't expand and overflow....

She also said that the Walmart brand could be ground larger and take up more space...maybe....

but I still wonder....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea!!

It is hard for me to believe that they would LIE about it either...I know sometimes companies do like you said and make the packaging smaller....instead of 5 pounds of sugar...it is 3 or 4 etc. If you are not paying attention...you will grab the lower priced one, but it really has less in it and is not the best bargain. I have found this especially true with laundry soap and fabric softener...and the amount you have to use-or measure in the lids...they are not always so honest either. Oh well...anything for a buck!! Ha ha..

:eek: speaking of making a buck.......I wonder how Martha Stewart is making it in prison?!

Of all the hardened criminals out there walking the streets-I feel much safer knowing MARTHA STEWART is locked up!!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Nichole+Oct 9 2004, 01:13 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Oct 9 2004, 12:48 PM
:eek: speaking of making a buck.......I wonder how Martha Stewart is making it in prison?!

Of all the hardened criminals out there walking the streets-I feel much safer knowing MARTHA STEWART is locked up!!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11595
As much as I am NOT a Martha Stewart fan, come on! What really ticks me off is that I don't think she would have gotten into this much trouble if she had been a man. I know her sidekick got the same deal, but I think they HAD to do that to him. Look at the Enron pople--what happened to them?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11599
[/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly-it was all about money...the old might dollar...I say her biggest punishment would have been to take all her money away...make her start from 0 again- her stock already dropped-I know she has been fined...but JAIL...come on!? Just seems SO ridiculous to know what/who is walking the streets doing -I don't even want to know what-and Martha Stewart is taking up a prison bed...Did she deserve punishment? Yes...Jail time? ugh! I know it is a BIG deal what she did...but...oh well...American Justice... ha ha. Martha Stewart behind bars and O.J. Simpson living it up in Florida!!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
All food products are sold by weight not volume. It could be that the grind is different, or the type of beans are more dense. The product must meet the minimum weight listed on the container. There could be more, but there cannot be less by law.

On to Martha Stewart...I think if she weren't such a consistent contributor to the Democrats, she would have been given a slap on the wrist. I think it's criminal that she's sitting in jail (taking her punishment better than most men I know) and the coroprate scam artists at Tyco, Enron, WorldCom...the list is endless...are all walking free.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Each company holds certain error rates as acceptable. That's what the QA management is in charge of controlling, the error rate. While the packaging may state a certain weight, statistically, there will always be some that will be under or over the weight on the packaging.

So depending on the variance amount, the company may replace your purchase. Or they may find it acceptable, but in the interest of customer satisfaction, replace it anyway.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you should weigh it. maybe the folgers coffee is a little heavier?? you should go to the store and look at the little labels. check how much everything costs per ounce. the coffee in the plastic tub...even if its on sale---is WAY more expensive than the coffe in the class containers. thats how we buy our toilet paper too, we check how much everything costs/ounce

if you already knew this...sorry. i found this out just last year. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts