Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am glad to find this forum and hope someone can point me in the right direction.
My Bella is 11 years young, and has lots of energy! However, for a year or so....she gets this allergy around her left eye, I've thought it was food BUT I've changed the food a couple times and this allergy comes and go. Has anyone experienced this? She's currently eating food from Spot & Tango (Beef & Barley recipe)

She never used to have this allergy, I understand that with age things can change.....BUT I am open to suggestions. Not really a fan of antibiotics, try to stay more on the holistic side.

Looking forward for any assistance please to help my Bella.

Thank you all,

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
It's hard to know without more information about the environment. But in the picture of just the eye area, there are a lot of bits of fur poking up or down in the eye area. Have you tried clipping the fur shorter around the eye and cleaning the area with an eye wash solution?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's hard to know without more information about the environment. But in the picture of just the eye area, there are a lot of bits of fur poking up or down in the eye area. Have you tried clipping the fur shorter around the eye and cleaning the area with an eye wash solution?
Well, she’s an inside dog. Rarely outside unless doing her own thing in the front yard then running back in. I always clean her paws when comes in. She’s we’ve clipped the fur around the eye and yes I’ve cleaned the area with eye wash solution. We live in Florida which sometimes we have crazy pollen and I’ve noticed it hits her (as well me lol)
But not sure about that eye allergy, did give her antiobiotic and it faded away, but a few months later comes back, truthfully I don’t want to give her so much antibiotic…. Rather keep her on natural remedies.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So sweet Bella ! Eyes are super sensitive. Ask your vet for some Neomycin Polymyxin Bacitracin Ointment. It’s safe around the eyes and will absolutely heal what’s going on. My Cody has eye drops for cataracts and the meds started to make his skin peel around the eye lids. Since I have admistered this ointment it healed within three days. But you have to do it daily until it’s gone. Bella is so Adorable!!!

·
Registered
Frankie, Kelsey, & Poochie. Tanner & Jamie at The Bridge
3,598 Posts
Take her to a doggie opthalmologist They're a little more expensive than a regular vet, but they have the expertise and equipment and you will get answers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts