Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter Holiday Hazards
The holidays are an exciting time for humans and pets. It can also be a dangerous time for pets. Here are some ways we can keep your pet safe this holiday season.

Holiday Foods that can be Hazardous to your Pet's Health
-Avoid feeding your pet chocolate, coffee or tea products. These all contain dangerous components called xanthines, which cause nervous system, urinary system damage and heart muscle stimulation.
-Uncooked meat, fish and poultry can contain disease-causing bacteria such as E. coli and parasites. For your own health, as well as your pet, wash utensils that have been in contact with raw meat, and cook meat thoroughly.
-Bones from fish, meat or your Thanksgiving turkey can also cause problems if swallowed. Even small bones can splinter causing lacerations (tearing) throughout the intestinal tract. We recommend alternatives such as Rawhides, Kong toys and hardened, sterilized bones.
-Alcohol can cause serious intoxications in pets, and many dogs are attracted to it. Every year hundreds of dogs die after a single bout of alcohol consumption. Clean up glasses after holiday parties. Dogs are often attracted by the sweet taste of drinks, especially eggnog.

Decorate With Pet Safety in Mind
-Keep ribbons, yarn, string and tinsel out of your pet's reach. If ingested, these decorative items can cause intestinal obstruction and bunching of the intestine. These conditions require surgery and can be fatal. Cats are especially attracted to string.
-Place Christmas trees in a stable stand, and attach the tree securely to a window or wall with something like fish line. To keep pets away from the tree, it may help to use a Bitter Apple Spray or Yuck! No Chew Spray.
-Chewing on electrical cords, including cords of lights can cause problems ranging from burned mouths, to electrical shock to death by electrocution. Some larger lights can become quite hot, and could also cause burns. Unplug decorative lights when you are not there. Make sure to have chew toys available for your pet to chew on when they get the urge.
-Decorative plants such as holly, mistletoe and poinsettias can be hazardous if ingested. Place these plants well out of your pet's reach, or use imitation holiday plants.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
........and all those pet stockings they sell with the doggy "goodies" are probably unhealthy for your dogs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Originally posted by Koa@Nov 17 2005, 01:21 PM
Winter Holiday Hazards
The holidays are an exciting time for humans and pets. It can also be a dangerous time for pets. Here are some ways we can keep your pet safe this holiday season.

Holiday Foods that can be Hazardous to your Pet's Health
-Avoid feeding your pet chocolate, coffee or tea products. These all contain dangerous components called xanthines, which cause nervous system, urinary system damage and heart muscle stimulation.
-Uncooked meat, fish and poultry can contain disease-causing bacteria such as E. coli and parasites. For your own health, as well as your pet, wash utensils that have been in contact with raw meat, and cook meat thoroughly.
-Bones from fish, meat or your Thanksgiving turkey can also cause problems if swallowed. Even small bones can splinter causing lacerations (tearing) throughout the intestinal tract. We recommend alternatives such as Rawhides, Kong toys and hardened, sterilized bones.
-Alcohol can cause serious intoxications in pets, and many dogs are attracted to it. Every year hundreds of dogs die after a single bout of alcohol consumption. Clean up glasses after holiday parties. Dogs are often attracted by the sweet taste of drinks, especially eggnog.

Decorate With Pet Safety in Mind
-Keep ribbons, yarn, string and tinsel out of your pet's reach. If ingested, these decorative items can cause intestinal obstruction and bunching of the intestine. These conditions require surgery and can be fatal. Cats are especially attracted to string.
-Place Christmas trees in a stable stand, and attach the tree securely to a window or wall with something like fish line. To keep pets away from the tree, it may help to use a Bitter Apple Spray or Yuck! No Chew Spray.
-Chewing on electrical cords, including cords of lights can cause problems ranging from burned mouths, to electrical shock to death by electrocution. Some larger lights can become quite hot, and could also cause burns. Unplug decorative lights when you are not there. Make sure to have chew toys available for your pet to chew on when they get the urge.
-Decorative plants such as holly, mistletoe and poinsettias can be hazardous if ingested. Place these plants well out of your pet's reach, or use imitation holiday plants.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120625
[/QUOTE]
I thank you for the reminder. Dixie however is a bit pissy about it as she sooo enjoys sushi night at out house
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top