Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to make some stuff for the girls. I've ordered the pet tabs and will be getting the bone meal locally. Until then I've made the girls some rice, chicken, carrots, celery, broccoli, and peas (not all at once). I've been using brown long grain rice. I've noticed that there are whole pieces in their poop. Should I be using white long grain rice? What type of rice do you use? The strombeck book just says to use long-grain rice.

I've also noticed that they are not digesting the carrots very well (lots of carrots in their poop). So I guess no carrots or just not as many.

Is it ok to give them bananas? My mom was eating one over the weekend and gave them a small piece. Lexi ate the first piece but passed on the second. Nikki went nuts. She LOVED it.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Kristie,

I always use whole grains for Teddy whenever possible...it is better nutritionally for both them and us. White rice just turns to sugar that much faster with much less fiber. The only time that Teddy passes anything (from the natural diet)whole is with corn and that makes sense as it is such a hard food to digest. he has passed things from before I started feeding him naturally whole...one reason I changed.

Teddy loves banana, but I cannot give it to him all the time...that is one of those things that I do as a special treat. The reason is because if he gets it all the time then his poo becomes mucusy. He does love it though...goes crazy for it.

Maybe your pups are eating there food faster than Teddy...not chewing as throughly...Teddy is not a fast eater..and will take his time.

You mentioned that you cooked a number of items and then said not all at once...they all seem to be compatable and I have cooked all together for Teddy a number of times (replacing the chicken with another protien because of the allergy) and I usually watch giving Teddy Celery...although they are not allergic to it, a point was made that it is a food that is very stringy so is a high potential for choking or wraping around the intestines...cooked you don't have the problem as much, but I am careful with this.

May I ask why you are going with the bonemeal and not just the real meat.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
bonemeal is to add calcium to their diet. meat just has protein and phosphorus. too much phosphorus is bad---so you need the calcium from the bonemeal to cancel it out.

whenever you're unsure about what veggies/fruit or whatever---try doing a search. i've done "broccoli poisonous to dogs" stuff like that. if broccoli is more than 25% of their meals...then its bad. and on a homecooked diet, 25% is veggies/fruit. so i'm a paranoid freak and i dont give the dogs broccoli or cauliflower(cuz its related to broccoli. LOL). and the same thing with garlic--small amounts arent bad...but i still dont take a chance, you know?

when you give a fruit/veggie---make sure its ground up. its hard for dogs to digest stuff like that. bananas are fine. gruffi liked strawberries for a while---but i think i gave too much...and he got bored. LOL

we get smart and final white rice and brown rice. i've tried giving them wild rice--they didnt like it much. LOL. i've also added cumin to their rice.

i've sometimes given them raviolis from the supermarket (i make sure that there's no garlic and onion...but if there's garlic---that its the last ingredient). they like spinach pasta.

oh, and i've heard tomatos are bad---somewhere. i did a search on the internet. but i'm sure its if you give large amounts. we've given them stuff that had been cooked it tomato sauce.

and when my mom cooks our stuff....she'll just make a seperate batch w/o onions and give that to the dogs. like we'll eat this peruvian dish that has strips of meat, french fries, onions, tomatos, and rice. she'll make their food first (w/o the onions & tomatos) and thne she'll stir fry our food after. LOL.

try to make it as simple as possible for yourself too. so that you stick with it.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Aug 17 2005, 10:25 PM
Kristie,

I always use whole grains for Teddy whenever possible...it is better nutritionally for both them and us.  White rice just turns to sugar that much faster with much less fiber.  The only time that Teddy passes anything (from the natural diet)whole is with corn and that makes sense as it is such a hard food to digest.  he has passed things from before I started feeding him naturally whole...one reason I changed. 

Teddy loves banana, but I cannot give it to him all the time...that is one of those things that I do as a special treat. The reason is because if he gets it all the time then his poo becomes mucusy.  He does love it though...goes crazy for it. 

Maybe your pups are eating there food faster than Teddy...not chewing as throughly...Teddy is not a fast eater..and will take his time. 

You mentioned that you cooked a number of items and then said not all at once...they all seem to be compatable and I have cooked all together for Teddy a number of times (replacing the chicken with another protien because of the allergy) and I usually watch giving Teddy Celery...although they are not allergic to it, a point was made that it is a food that is very stringy so is a high potential for choking or wraping around the intestines...cooked you don't have the problem as much, but I am careful with this. 

May I ask why you are going with the bonemeal and not just the real meat. 

Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91670
[/QUOTE]
I just started to do the home cooked meals on Tuesday night. To start out I had been planning on only giving them a little of the home cooked stuff on top of their dry food. I ordered the bonemeal, pet tabs, etc. off the internet and should be getting it today. I didn't think I would need it right aways since I was planning on slowly switching them to full home-cooked meals. Since the girls have decided to stop eating their kibble I'm starting to do the only home cooked meals a lot sooner then planned.

All of the food I've given then has been cooked (boiled).

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Aug 17 2005, 11:25 PM
bonemeal is to add calcium to their diet.  meat just has protein and phosphorus.  too much phosphorus is bad---so you need the calcium from the bonemeal to cancel it out.

whenever you're unsure about what veggies/fruit or whatever---try doing a search.  i've done "broccoli poisonous to dogs" stuff like that.  if broccoli is more than 25% of their meals...then its bad.  and on a homecooked diet, 25% is veggies/fruit.  so i'm a paranoid freak and i dont give the dogs broccoli or cauliflower(cuz its related to broccoli.  LOL).  and the same thing with garlic--small amounts arent bad...but i still dont take a chance, you know? 

when you give a fruit/veggie---make sure its ground up.  its hard for dogs to digest stuff like that.  bananas are fine.  gruffi liked strawberries for a while---but i think i gave too much...and he got bored.  LOL

we get smart and final white rice and brown rice.  i've tried giving them wild rice--they didnt like it much.  LOL.  i've also added cumin to their rice. 

i've sometimes given them raviolis from the supermarket (i make sure that there's no garlic and onion...but if there's garlic---that its the last ingredient).  they like spinach pasta. 

oh, and i've heard tomatos are bad---somewhere.  i did a search on the internet.  but i'm sure its if you give large amounts.  we've given them stuff that had been cooked it tomato sauce. 

and when my mom cooks our stuff....she'll just make a seperate batch w/o onions and give that to the dogs.  like we'll eat this peruvian dish that has strips of meat, french fries, onions, tomatos, and rice.  she'll make their food first (w/o the onions & tomatos) and thne she'll stir fry our food after.  LOL. 

try to make it as simple as possible for yourself too.  so that you stick with it. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91680
[/QUOTE]
I'm going to try to make enough food for a month at a time (I think). That would just work better for me (and my budget).

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Unless it is for a bland diet, I usually use organic brown rice (or another whole grain). For bland diets I use regular white rice (not the minute kind). You could even switch off for variety.

Potato (regular or sweet) is another great carb.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by JMM@Aug 18 2005, 07:54 AM
Unless it is for a bland diet, I usually use organic brown rice (or another whole grain). For bland diets I use regular white rice (not the minute kind). You could even switch off for variety.

Potato (regular or sweet) is another great carb.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91702
[/QUOTE]
I'll try the organic brown rice. Thanks!

I have a potato that I'm going to make up tonight or tomorrow and see if they like it.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You may want to add a digestive enzyme like Prozyme to help your girls digest their veggies if you are seeing whole pieces of foods in their poop. I have had the same problem with Lady when I have home cooked for her.

I read someplace that dogs, being mainly carnivores, don't have the necessary enzyme to break down vegetables and I guess rice, too.

And yes, Dr. Cathy is absolutely right. You have to add bone meal or another source of extra calcium. I know some people who even use Tums!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I use my food processor to grind the poached chicken, steamed and baked veggies and boiled eggs that go in Pico's food.....it's easy to get it the right consistency that way.

I also use powdered Calcium Carbonate from the drugstore instead of bonemeal. Does anyone know the amount of bonemeal that our little ones need every day? Is bonemeal equal to calcium carbonate in the same amounts?

For the digestive enzymes I put 3/4 tsp of regular, plain yogurt on his plate at the evening meal and this seems to work.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Aug 18 2005, 09:08 AM
I use my food processor to grind the poached chicken, steamed and baked veggies and boiled eggs that go in Pico's food.....it's easy to get it the right consistency that way.

I also use powdered Calcium Carbonate from the drugstore instead of bonemeal.  Does anyone know the amount of bonemeal that our little ones need every day? Is bonemeal equal to calcium carbonate in the same amounts?

For the digestive enzymes I put 3/4 tsp of regular, plain yogurt on his plate at the evening meal and this seems to work.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91717
[/QUOTE]
I did use a food processor but maybe I didn't grind it up enough.

According to the Pitcairn's book Calcium Carbonate is not the same as the good bone meals. Good bone meals (Solid Gold and KAL) have calcium and phosphorus in it. Almost 2 calcium for every 1 phosphorus. Calcium Carbonate doesn't have any phosphorus in it.

I'm taking Nikki to the vet this afternoon for her rabies shot. I will ask her about a disgestive enzyme.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thanks everyone for the wonderful knowledge you all bring...I just had a visit with the vet last week because I wanted to make sure I was doing well by Teddy feeding him this way. She advised that I was doing great, but did add a multi-vitamin...could this contain the calcium that you say he needs. She has it ordered so I don't yet have it in hand but it will be an all natural type thing which she has used before and likes. I hope this is covered...but I will certainly be asking again, when I see the vet to pick them up about the bone meal. Thanks so much for sharing this....I want to do right by Teddy which is why I started doing this in the first place.

Kodie, I cook for Teddy at least 4 or 5 times a week so I use all kinds of cooking methods...broiled fish for instance or sauted shrimp. As for the potatoes...Teddy loves sweet potatoe and this actually is an ingrediant in most health based, allergy formula's that you would buy. There are shortcuts you can use....if I am rushed, i have used the frozen sweet potatoes (minus the topping they come with of course)

I also just purchased canning jars which, I hope to make individual meals and freeze for Teddy in. They are a perfect size, they had them in 4 oz size as well as 8oz size. For me the meat is the hardest because I don't eat it very often...so I may make up a bunch of lamb and have it freezer ready to add to the veggies and carb of the evening.

I also do a very wide variaty of fruits and veggies - including beans which are a great source of protein as well as calcium. Could this explain the vet not saying anything to me. I really trust this vet, but I look for your expertise over all others on this board...I trust you because you have proven facts and little darlings to help substatiate the claims.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I followed this guide from the Canine Epilepsy site when I was home cooking for Lady. It was prepared in consultation with Dr. Jean Dodd. It also explains why dogs need the particular vitamin.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels...upplements.html

Dr. Dodd recommends using a human infant vitamin drop rather than a vitamin made for dogs.

I admire all of you who are tackling home cooking! I found it was so much work and soooooooo expensive, I gave up on it. So far Lady is doing really well on Innova's EVO and it's so much easier!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I had the same problem with kodie and carrots.. i dont give them to him anymore.. but sometimes i DO buy baby food carrots! They digest A LOT better. ohh yeah.. I had the same problem with the brown rice... the white rice doesnt do that.. but isnt as healthy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts