Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping everyone that homecooks could post their diet including all supplements and how they feed daily to help those of us that are strongly considering it with all the food recalls :(

also please make a note if you dog has any health issues

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I feed a combination of Homecooked with Ziwi Peak dehydrated raw. The nutritionist I consulted said that if I feed homecooked along with raw, I won't need to supplement anything. They get a portion of ziwi peak and homecooked at each meal. Our homecooked recipe is very low in fat and moderate protein and ziwi peak is high protein/high fat so the total diet equals out to be moderate-high protein and moderate fat.

Our homecooked diet contains salmon, whitefish (tilapia or cod), sweet potatos, and green beans. I bake the fish in the oven and shred it. Bake sweet potatos in oven, remove from skin and mash up. I use the frozen green beans, steam them and then puree in blender. And then I portion out everything and mix meals together

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much do any of your dogs have any health issues? I am going to add that as well right now as that will help us too

QUOTE (MyFairLacy @ Jun 14 2009, 11:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791172
I feed a combination of Homecooked with Ziwi Peak dehydrated raw. The nutritionist I consulted said that if I feed homecooked along with raw, I won't need to supplement anything. They get a portion of ziwi peak and homecooked at each meal. Our homecooked recipe is very low in fat and moderate protein and ziwi peak is high protein/high fat so the total diet equals out to be moderate-high protein and moderate fat.

Our homecooked diet contains salmon, whitefish (tilapia or cod), sweet potatos, and green beans. I bake the fish in the oven and shred it. Bake sweet potatos in oven, remove from skin and mash up. I use the frozen green beans, steam them and then puree in blender. And then I portion out everything and mix meals together[/B]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
QUOTE (dwerten @ Jun 14 2009, 10:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791173
thanks so much do any of your dogs have any health issues? I am going to add that as well right now as that will help us too

QUOTE (MyFairLacy @ Jun 14 2009, 11:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791172

Our homecooked diet contains salmon, whitefish (tilapia or cod), sweet potatos, and green beans. I bake the fish in the oven and shred it. Bake sweet potatos in oven, remove from skin and mash up. I use the frozen green beans, steam them and then puree in blender. And then I portion out everything and mix meals together[/B]
[/B][/QUOTE]

Rylie has never had any health issues. Lacy didn't either until this year. Last fall she had days about once every two weeks where she wouldn't eat and would throw up or have diarrhea. In January she went in for a checkup and full bloodwork...her bile acids were a little high for pre and post (around 50). She had an ultrasound and then a liver biopsy. She ended up having Hepatic Lipidosis. We also did GI bloodwork and her folate and cobalamine levels were low. We never got a difinitive diagnosis with the GI issues because we would have had to do an intestinal biopsy but our main thought was Inflammatory Bowel Disease....there have been cases where humans have had IBD and fatty liver developed secondarily so it would make sense. Before this she was eating all raw (nature's variety). We then went to strictly homecooked for almost 3 months for her along with tylan, a probiotic and vitamin B injections. She was doing so well and hadn't been sick since the switch so we then added some ziwi peak into her diet. So far so good...no more GI upset and hoping it continues. She gets a couple more vitamin B injections and then in August we will redo bloodwork again to see how everything is looking with her.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I switch the meat source and veggies around but basically either chicken, beef or turkey (ground or chunks) boiled then I add brown rice, broccoli, carrots, spinach, sometimes snap peas, some times green beans or peas. As I serve the portions I add the bone meal each meal and the Animal Essentials Vitamins one day and the Greens the alternate day. I also add their Omega oils in either sardine, salmon or cod.

Dr. Harvey makes a pre mix just add meat and Grandma Lucy makes a dehydrated complete meal both have everything included. Unfortunately none of mine like them except for Snoopy.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady has liver disease from nine years of phenobarbital for seizures, is diabetic, and had three episodes of HGE in four months about a year ago. It's hard to know what causes HGE, but we think she wasn't digesting her food and bacteria was building up in her digestive tract. Her pancreas is probably not producing digestive enzymes on it's own anymore.

I simply ran out of commercial foods she could eat. I have been homecooking for Lady for almost a year now and the results have been dramatic. She hasn't had any digestive problems since and has finally gained back the weight she lost over the past couple of years.

Here's her recipe:

1 cup cooked oatmeal
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 hard boiled egg
1 cup salmon or whitefish (tilapia)
1 large sweet potato
1 T Canola oil
1 tsp bone meal
1 tsp salt substitute

She gets Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes and Probiotics with each meal, AE multivitamin once a day and a 3V cap (fish oil) daily.

She also gets Transfer Factor (colostrum) to boost her immune system, Cosequin, and Marin and Denosyl for liver support.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
QUOTE (LadysMom @ Jun 14 2009, 11:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791201
Lady has liver disease from nine years of phenobarbital for seizures, is diabetic, and had three episodes of HGE in four months about a year ago. It's hard to know what causes HGE, but we think she wasn't digesting her food and bacteria was building up in her digestive tract. Her pancreas is probably not producing digestive enzymes on it's own anymore.

I simply ran out of commercial foods she could eat. I have been homecooking for Lady for almost a year now and the results have been dramatic. She hasn't had any digestive problems since and has finally gained back the weight she lost over the past couple of years.

Here's her recipe:

1 cup cooked oatmeal
1 hard boiled egg
1 T Canola oil
1 tsp bone meal
1 tsp salt substitute

She gets Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes and Probiotics with each meal, AE multivitamin once a day and a 3V cap (fish oil) daily.

She also gets Transfer Factor (colostrum) to boost her immune system, Cosequin, and Marin and Denosyl for liver support.[/B]
Marj, how many meals does that make for Lady?

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Dr. Harvey's is an easy way to do home cooked expecially if you are new to it and make sure you're dog gets all the vitamins and minerals they need. I've been using it for about 2 months now and the dogs love it. I've noticed better breath, reduced tear stains and better behavior. Dr. Harvey has a diet with or without grain and you can rotate the source of protein and the oils you add. You don't need to supplement the diet but I do add a multi-vitamin, salmon oil, probiotics and glucosamine.

Crystal (Crystal&Zoe) knows a lot more about it - if you have questions she sells it and her dogs eat it as well. - http://stores.pamperedpetboutiquellc.com/StoreFront.bok

Good luck,

Leslie

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
QUOTE (MyFairLacy @ Jun 14 2009, 10:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791172

I forgot to mention that they both get fish oil with their morning meal (I use Eicosaderm) and they get 1/4tsp olive oil with their evening meal.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
QUOTE (Angel's Mom @ Jun 15 2009, 12:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791211
QUOTE (LadysMom @ Jun 14 2009, 11:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791201

Here's her recipe:

1 cup cooked oatmeal
1 hard boiled egg
1 large sweet potato
1 T Canola oil
1 tsp bone meal
1 tsp salt substitute

She also gets Transfer Factor (colostrum) to boost her immune system, Cosequin, and Marin and Denosyl for liver support.[/B]
Marj, how many meals does that make for Lady?
[/B][/QUOTE]

Lady gets 1/2 cup twice a day so it lasts about four days.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Usually, my two are on Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried lamb. They're also on Primal frozen lamb, but I'll be switching this for Orijen Fresh Fish. My two also get scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil, or veggies sauteed in coconut oil (bell peppers, zucchini, asparagus, Roma tomatoes, or whatever else I have on hand).

When I cook salmon, beef, or lamb dishes for myself, I'll cook a little extra to give my two. Let me know if you want some recipes. :)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Nikki has asymptomatic MVD, and she is an inside dog, so she doesn't get as much exercise as those dogs who have a backyard to run around in.

****This is a modified recipe based on a recipe created for me by a Vet. I am posting it here for info reasons only. If you are going to home cook, you will need to figure out your own recipe according to your dog's weight, activity, and health issues. There are Yahoo home cooking forums that are extremely helpful, and the BalanceIT website has home cooking recipes you can buy.

I rotate Nikki's food around, but basically it is mix of 1 protein, sweet potatoes, and veggies.

Proteins, 1 pound, choose one
:
ground grass-fed beef
ground organic chicken, mix of white and dark
ground turkey, mix of white and dark
Scrambled eggs (2 cups)

I saute the proteins in coconut oil.

I add 2 cups of roasted mashed organic sweet potatoes. (According to the original recipe, you can also use ww pasta, organic brown rice, or oatmeal as the starch, but Nikki doesn't do well on those foods.)

I add 2 cups of steamed organic veggies. I usually use green beans, broccoli, zucchini, and artichoke hearts.

I throw in a tablespoon of chopped dried cranberries.

I add in Animal Essentials Calcium, amount according to the weight of the food, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp salt sub, 2T hemp oil and 2T olive oil.

I also mix in Animal Essentials multivitamins and Jarrow probiotics to her daily food. I freeze all but 3 days worth of food. I feed her 4.5 oz a day, and it usually lasts around 9 days.

I modified this recipe myself, as I didn't want to feed Nikki certain vitamins and oils that were in the original recipe because I am one of those health nut people.

Nikki is doing great on this recipe. No allergies, no skin issues, no tummy issues, etc. I highly recommend home cooking. It takes time and effort, but the results are worth it, IMO. As far as the cost, well, we spend a lot of money for healthy food around here for all of us. We cut back in other areas in order to do this.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Casanova had GI problems for two months which medicine and dog food just made worse and worse. This is the only thing that got him back on track and he is perfectly healthy and a bundle of energy now:

We do EQUAL portions fish and veggies

Fish (choose one): Wild Cod, Pollock, Tilapia, Seabass
Organic Veggies (all of these together and finely minced): Baby Bok Choy, Spinach, Green Beans, and Peas

I sautee fish first, then sautee minced veggies and mix.

We do dried cranberries, sweet potatoes, and yogurt as treats.

Many people do not realize that beef, chicken, wheat are top 3 dog food allergens.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
QUOTE (princessre @ Jun 15 2009, 08:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791327
Casanova had GI problems for two months which medicine and dog food just made worse and worse. This is the only thing that got him back on track and he is perfectly healthy and a bundle of energy now:

We do EQUAL portions fish and veggies

Fish (choose one): Wild Cod, Pollock, Tilapia, Seabass
Organic Veggies (all of these together and finely minced): Baby Bok Choy, Spinach, Green Beans, and Peas

I sautee fish first, then sautee minced veggies and mix.

We do dried cranberries, sweet potatoes, and yogurt as treats.

Many people do not realize that beef, chicken, wheat are top 3 dog food allergens.[/B]

I forgot to mention that Nikki also gets 2 tablespoons of raw, unpasteurized milk every day. We have been using this milk (and eggs) for about 2 years now. It is from a local farm. The omega fats, called CLA's, in the raw milk are very good for her.

Nikki does fine on the grass-fed beef, but not on regular beef. I try not to feed her beef too much, because of the ammonia content, but she does better on the beef and turkey than the chicken. I also give her fish when I can afford it!

·
Registered
499 Posts
:two thumbs up: This is a great thread idea dwerten! These recipes are priceless because they're the result of trial and error and I definitely will keep all this information for when I have my puppy. Thanks everyone for sharing!

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Susie & Sadie both have asymptomatic MVD, but no other health issues. I've been feeding them a home cooked diet for about 5 years now.

I follow the recipes in Dr. Richard Pitcairn's book. But I cook the meat rather than giving it raw. I make a weeks worth at a time, and each time I make a new batch, I rotate the meat and grains being used.

For the protein, I rotate between organic chicken, fish (from VitalChoice.com ), eggs and cottage cheese, and occasionally organic, grass-fed beef (they don't do well with turkey).

Not all dogs do, but Susie & Sadie have always done really well with whole grains. I use gluten-free oats, millet, quinoa, brown rice, and sometimes crumbled, whole grain sprouted Ezekiel bread (I've tried spelt, but they didn't seem to digest it well).

I make a batch of pureed organic veggies - equal mix of root vegetables and leafy greens, plus some fruit such as apples, blueberries, etc., and add a spoonful to their food once a day.

I use ground eggshell powder for the calcium added to each batch of food.

For the oil in the recipes I use coconut oil (this is my favorite: Tropical Traditions ) or extra virgin olive oil.

Dr. Pitcairn's recipes call for a mix of supplements he calls Healthy Powder. Which is lecithin (non-GMO), kelp, nutritional yeast and calcium to balance it. I give the lecithin and kelp with the appropriate amount of calcium, but I omit the nutritional yeast. He says if it's omitted, to give a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement once a day, which I do.

Here's a list of the supplements they get each day, all with the OK of my holistic vet:

Milk thistle and Sam-e - for liver support

Vitamin C (not everyone agrees whether or not it's necessary for dogs, but my vet recommends it)

A muti-vitamin made from organic seed sprouts

Liquid mineral complex in solution (the C, multi-vitamin, and mineral complex I give them is from MaximumLiving.com It's what I take myself, and it was given the OK by my vet)

Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM supplement for joints (my vet recommended they start on it at the age of 5 as a preventive measure)

Coenzyme Q10

Probiotics

Fish oil or cod liver oil, or 1/2 tsp. of ground flax seeds

Vitamin E

1/4 tsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar

I can't say enough good things about feeding a home cooked diet. Susie & Sadie have done wonderfully with it. Their bloodwork is always excellent, and their teeth and gums are in great condition.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
QUOTE (Susie and Sadie @ Jun 15 2009, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791450
Susie & Sadie both have asymptomatic MVD, but no other health issues. I've been feeding them a home cooked diet for about 5 years now.

I follow the recipes in Dr. Richard Pitcairn's book. But I cook the meat rather than giving it raw. I make a weeks worth at a time, and each time I make a new batch, I rotate the meat and grains being used.

For the protein, I rotate between organic chicken, fish (from VitalChoice.com ), eggs and cottage cheese, and occasionally organic, grass-fed beef (they don't do well with turkey).

Not all dogs do, but Susie & Sadie have always done really well with whole grains. I use gluten-free oats, millet, quinoa, brown rice, and sometimes crumbled, whole grain sprouted Ezekiel bread (I've tried spelt, but they didn't seem to digest it well).

I make a batch of pureed organic veggies - equal mix of root vegetables and leafy greens, plus some fruit such as apples, blueberries, etc., and add a spoonful to their food once a day.

For the oil in the recipes I use coconut oil (this is my favorite: Tropical Traditions ) or extra virgin olive oil.

Dr. Pitcairn's recipes call for a mix of supplements he calls Healthy Powder. Which is lecithin (non-GMO), kelp, nutritional yeast and calcium to balance it. I give the lecithin and kelp with the appropriate amount of calcium, but I omit the nutritional yeast. He says if it's omitted, to give a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement once a day, which I do.

Here's a list of the supplements they get each day, all with the OK of my holistic vet:

Vitamin C (not everyone agrees whether or not it's necessary for dogs, but my vet recommends it)

Liquid mineral complex in solution (the C, multi-vitamin, and mineral complex I give them is from MaximumLiving.com It's what I take myself, and it was given the OK by my vet)

Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM supplement for joints (my vet recommended they start on it at the age of 5 as a preventive measure)

Coenzyme Q10

Probiotics

Vitamin E

I can't say enough good things about feeding a home cooked diet. Susie & Sadie have done wonderfully with it. Their bloodwork is always excellent, and their teeth and gums are in great condition.[/B]

I'm glad to know I am not the only one who uses a lot of supplements!

Lady can't get kelp because she is on thyroid medication. Otherwise I would give her that, too. Many benefits from kelp.

Lady definitely eats better than I do. I usually heat up a Lean Cuisine or make BLT. :brownbag:

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
QUOTE (LadysMom @ Jun 15 2009, 01:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791476
I'm glad to know I am not the only one who uses a lot of supplements!

Lady can't get kelp because she is on thyroid medication. Otherwise I would give her that, too. Many benefits from kelp.

Lady definitely eats better than I do. I usually heat up a Lean Cuisine or make BLT. :brownbag:[/B]
I'm a firm believer in supplements! :biggrin:

I can definitely relate to saying our Malts eat better than we do! I try to eat as healthy as possible, but some days I just don't have time to cook and have to grab something on the go. I've often said Susie & Sadie eat more fresh veggies than me! :blush:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I should probably clarify that I only use grass-fed, free-range animals (lamb and beef). They're herbivores and don't consume much soy or grains. I get all my meats, eggs, and veggies from local farmers' markets around my city, and at Whole Foods.

Beef is great if it's grass-fed, as it contains omega 3 fats, and vitamins A, D, and E. It's also a good source of taurine, carnitine, magnesium, and zinc.

Salmon is wild-caught from the ocean (never farmed), and if it's canned, then it's also wild-caught and packed in spring water (no oil or salt).

I have read that all vegetable oils, with the exception of olive oil, are detrimental to our health, so I avoid giving these to my fluffs. These oils include soybean, corn, sunflower, safflower, cottonseed, canola, etc. I have also read that hemp seed oil should be avoided.

I get my herbs, spices, and coconut oil from http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/. Their virgin, unrefined coconut oil is the best-tasting coconut oil I've had.

QUOTE (Susie and Sadie @ Jun 15 2009, 10:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791450

Coenzyme Q10

Probiotics

Vitamin E

I can't say enough good things about feeding a home cooked diet. Susie & Sadie have done wonderfully with it. Their bloodwork is always excellent, and their teeth and gums are in great condition.[/B]
I think I should pick up a copy of this book. :) I also grind up my egg shells in a coffee grinder and take this for calcium; I never thought of giving this to my dogs, though! I'm also a huge fan of Ezekiel bread.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts