Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I switch the meat source and veggies around but basically either chicken, beef or turkey (ground or chunks) boiled then I add brown rice, broccoli, carrots, spinach, sometimes snap peas, some times green beans or peas. As I serve the portions I add the bone meal each meal and the Animal Essentials Vitamins one day and the Greens the alternate day. I also add their Omega oils in either sardine, salmon or cod.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sometimes to add variety. I mix a pound of lean ground beef (sirloin), 1 egg, baked sweet potato, and a combination of organic baby food carrots, peas, and apples. Mix and shape into a lag. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. You can also use ground turkey, but they may not like it as much.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Daisy is so picky and fickle, she's driving me crazy! She won't eat potato, sweet potato or rice, so I am having to get really creative with limited sources of carbs without risking allergy!! Mostly she wants meat and a little veggies. She also won't eat the food mixed together, it has to be separates, so fitting the legumes in is proving difficult. On the recommendation of the vet I feed her one container of food daily for "vitamins" but after reading the food labels I think she would be better off just getting all home cooking with the essentials vitamin mix added!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Halo eats skinless boneless chicken breasts, steamed carrots, green beans, broccoli, and rice. I have also done lean hamburger with cheese lol. If it doesn't smell good then he won't touch it. He will not come close to eating any fish.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ok, I translated some how from Russian "Dog food recipes", hope it will be extra to this huge thread :)
Main ingredient is meat
So, take the meat. buy on the market fresh beef trim, remove the fat, if any, and put to boil. The meat must be well boil thoroughly, so that the dog does not get worms. When the meat is almost cooked , pull it up and leave to cool on a blackboard.
During this time add rice or, buckwheat , or oatmeal. These grains, as far as I know are just the most useful for dogs. Remember that rice fixes, oatmeal weaker, and buckwheat - is neutral, so you can vary them from your pet's stool. You can mix grain in equal proportions, how your baby would love :)
Approximately at the same time add the vegetables grains. I put a large carrot, cut into small cubes or grated; squash or pumpkin, grated or diced , add chopped tomatoes (a couple of pieces). You can put the cabbage if dog likes it and not allergic to it
By this time the meat has cooled enough that it can be safe to take and cut into small pieces, which are sent back to the porridge.

At the end of cooking, add fresh herbs (dill or parsley or dandelion leaves, grass or wheat grass

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feed Max ground turkey, chicken or beef. I mix in fresh carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes or pumpkin. I mix I. One or two of the vegetables I mentioned above nah he loves it. I find that a human food diet produces less stool that doesn't smell as bad as when feeding dog food and his allergies are much better. I don't give a lot of treats but when I do for now I give Grandma Lucy treats.....if I were to go back to dog food it would be grandma Lucy or honest kitchen.... Both are great but I really loved honest kitchen, it's just so expensive....but you can tell its natural. His allergies went away and less stool and smell was not as strong as when feeding other dog food. Oh and I do cook the meat but I cook it rare leaving it a little pink so I don't cook out all the vitamins and I steam the vegetables.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I switch the meat source and veggies around but basically either chicken, beef or turkey (ground or chunks) boiled then I add brown rice, broccoli, carrots, spinach, sometimes snap peas, some times green beans or peas. As I serve the portions I add the bone meal each meal and the Animal Essentials Vitamins one day and the Greens the alternate day. I also add their Omega oils in either sardine, salmon or cod.

Mine is similar to yours but I don't do the oils, meal or vitamins. I am going to start adding those. I have given the canned salmon before and brown rice. Sardines sound good too. Thanks. Max' Mom, Kim.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Daisy is so picky and fickle, she's driving me crazy! She won't eat potato, sweet potato or rice, so I am having to get really creative with limited sources of carbs without risking allergy!! Mostly she wants meat and a little veggies. She also won't eat the food mixed together, it has to be separates, so fitting the legumes in is proving difficult. On the recommendation of the vet I feed her one container of food daily for "vitamins" but after reading the food labels I think she would be better off just getting all home cooking with the essentials vitamin mix added!!
Fluffy butt how cute....They say dogs are like kids and she certainly is. She's really cute.
Max's Mom, Kim.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi, I live in the Andes Mountains of Peru. I have an almost 6 month old puppy named Jonas. The types of quality dog food that I can get here is very limited, he is now on Science Diet small breed puppy food. He is having a problem with tear staining, I know that part of it is from teething, but I also read that it also might have something to do with the food he is eating so I am thinking of home cooking for him. I was wondering if you all think that it would be alright for him and if so do you have any recipes that would be good for a puppy of his age.
Thanks so much
Debbie mommy to Jonas

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Hi Debbie

I dont' know what you have available in Peru or what you can order. There is a book called Dinner Pawsible that give different recipes and gives you an idea of how to home cook for your dog with a plan of balancing nutrients over time.

To me, one of the main things to consider is the calcium-as dogs have much higher needs than humans do. You can purchase supplements for this and some people make their own by grinding baked egg shells down into a fine powder and adding it. If calcium is not supplemented you run the risk of things like 'rubber jaw' - what happens is after several years of being deficient, the body starts to pull calcium from bones. The bad thing is, this doesn't normally show up for a long time-and most blood tests along the way show normal results because the body is using its own bones to make up the definiencies.

I believe dogaware.com also has a section on home cooking that is often referenced as being one of the better sources of information.

I dont' know if balanceit.com ships to peru, but check them out as well. In fact, I think I heard one of the creaters mention that they have new software that can help you put meals together? It takes a bit of getting used to though. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
326 Posts
thanks so much for the advice. I will look on ebay and amazon to see if they have the book. They both ship to Peru. I will crush the egg shell, do you know how much I would add per meal or should I add it to the whole batch when I am cooking?
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
thanks so much for the advice. I will look on ebay and amazon to see if they have the book. They both ship to Peru. I will crush the egg shell, do you know how much I would add per meal or should I add it to the whole batch when I am cooking?
Thanks again
I would check the book for suggestions on how much of the eggshell to give. I believe dogaware will also give you an idea of about how much to add when home cooking. I don't have a daily dose to suggest-I'm pretty sure it goes not only by body weight but by what you are feeding as well. A lot of people will use a coffee grinder to grind the egg shells.

Here is the webpage for dog aware, they discuss cooked and raw home made:

DogAware.com: Homemade Diets for Dogs

I prefer cooked just because the raw grosses me out a bit, but some like it raw. They also discuss other supplements as well, and give you an idea of how much to give.

I think you'll like dinner pawsible if you get it-to me, it's more simple and more focused on balance over time. It's also nice to have recipes there to follow when you get started.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice. I hope that what I cooked today is ok. I peas, lomo, not sure what that traslates as but it is one of the best types of beef that we can get here. Also a yellow squash and tiny potatoes. And brown rice and quinua. I also added eggshell and plain yogurt. He also ate papaya, melon, and little banana. The fruit I cut up in tiny pieces, he loved it. The vegetables I blended together, then I blended the rice and quinua, and then I blended the meat, it is like hamburger now. I am planning on freezing each blend in ice cube trays so he would get a cube of each per meal. I was thinking of giving him the fruit two to three days a week as a snack.
How does this sound to you?
Thanks so much.
Debbie

·
Registered
470 Posts
Anyone have updates they can share regarding Home Cooking? I'm thinking of switching the boys to foods we prepare from scratch. I had considered S&C freeze dried, but I'm seeing a couple of ingredients that I'm allergic too, so I wouldn't be able to handle the food for preparation, unfortunately (blueberries is one of those ingredients). Anyway, I'd love to boost this thread and get some ideas. Wilson and Cooper have super sensitive stomachs. Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Great thread, thanks!

I was hoping everyone that homecooks could post their diet including all supplements and how they feed daily to help those of us that are strongly considering it with all the food recalls :(

also please make a note if you dog has any health issues

Dwerten, Thank you for starting this thread! My dog Baby is having health/liver problems and I have to change his diet. it is super helpful and valuable to have all these recipes from everyone in one spot like this, I haven't had a chance to read through them all yet, but hopefully there are some recipes here for hepatic-liver disease diets.

Our vet wants us to pay a service which he recommends $400 just for only one single written hepatic homemade dog food recipe from a service located in Tennessee. They make medical recipes for pets, plus charge an extra additional $100 for them to 'expedite' formulating & sending the written recipe & getting it to us quicker otherwise says it will take 'a long time'. Plus we will have to pay an additional $150 if we need for her to make any 'changes' to said recipe.... which I'm pretty sure we would need for my picky dog. So that could be $650 for a recipe that my dog will probably refuse to eat after 2 days.

We need to spend the $$ we have on paying for Baby's doctors and a possible surgery, not spend it on a single recipe which my dog will undoubtedly quickly reject. I need to find better more affordable ways to have access to a variety Hepatic liver friendly homemade dog food recipes to try for Baby.

181 - 200 of 202 Posts