Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

201 - 202 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Anyone have updates they can share regarding Home Cooking? I'm thinking of switching the boys to foods we prepare from scratch. I had considered S&C freeze dried, but I'm seeing a couple of ingredients that I'm allergic too, so I wouldn't be able to handle the food for preparation, unfortunately (blueberries is one of those ingredients). Anyway, I'd love to boost this thread and get some ideas. Wilson and Cooper have super sensitive stomachs. Thanks y'all!
When I transitioned Sophie from Scientific Formula (the garbage the previous owner fed her), I cooked white rice with some oil and salt-free chicken stock. I added peas, lettuce, carrots, cucumber, and tiny bits of Fromm kibble.

Fast forward today, her Breakfast and Dinner consist of:
1 teaspoon of unsalted oatmeal
2 tablespoon of dry Fromm kibble
1 tablespoon of wet I and love and you (has precut tiny cubes of food and veggies). Sprouts often have them on sale for $1.35 per can.
2 snow peas
2 teaspoon of filtered water

Her snacks are usually vegetables and/or fruits: she loves Korean pears and apple slices.

Every now and then, I mix it up and add boiled beef/turkey/chicken to her meals.
I don't add any supplements or vitamins. The canned and dry foods that I give her already have a sufficient amount of nutrients already added in.

Her stools are regular and she never has indigestion. Her breath doesn't smell foul or like dog food (just a neutral vegetable smell).

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
FYI: PETCO has started selling the 'Just Food For Dogs' DIY, etc.

And here is a set of intructions from Modern Dog Magazine about making your own eggshell powder. It's just important to make sure it's a fine powder with no sharp flakes.

DIY Eat - Eggshell Powder | Modern Dog magazine

I buy DIY packets from www.justfoodfordogs.com so all the supplements are already in there and you just follow their recipes, but again, I don't know if they ship the DIY to Peru.
FYI: I noticed that Petco has recently begun to carry the 'Just Food For Dogs DIY powder' to add to meal recipes they give you to make at home, and also the fish oil & some frozen complete meals. They have it at the Petco's in my area of NJ anyway. I've used Just Food for Dogs DIY meals for Baby in the past before I started feeding him raw. I used to order the JFFD from the maker in California. My dog didn't care for the rice in one of the JFFD recipes. The JFFD recipes have a whole lot of carbs in them such as potatoes & rice which some people don't like, but some do. But on the whole it seems to be pretty balanced and gives great peace of mind that you are in control of the quality of the food your feeding your precious little one{s} and the safety of it. I am going to be home cooking again for Baby and not feeding raw due to a liver problem which we haven't gotten to the bottom of what the cause is yet. I figure it's safer to cook his food for now, at least until we get to the bottom of what is going on with Baby's liver, my vet encouraged me to cook his food due to the circumstances.

201 - 202 of 202 Posts