Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I haven't found anything negative about Hemp Oil, so if you have any articles, please PM me. Nikki has done well on it. I also get my herbs/spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I also put a few shakes of Turmeric in Nikki's food.

Glad to see that others here use grass fed beef and supplements.

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
Deb, thanks for starting this thread. I'm investigating the ins and outs of home feeding myself. I already supplement Dixie's food with veggies, fruit & chicken along with NB dry food. She gets organic, low fat yogurt once a day too and salmon oil or a 3V cap. She also eats 1 Zukes Hip Action a day for a treat. I guess I should stop the chicken per what I am reading here. She just loves it but she loves everything. I just ordered the Dr. Pitcairn book.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I no longer feed hunter homecooked meals for a number of reasons but when we did home cook here is what we did

1 scoop of healthy motion each day
1/2 pump of salmon oil each day
1 Tablespoon yogurt each day
1/2 Tums two times a day

1/4 cup mashed potatoes
1/4 cooked protein (fish, lamb, veal, or grain fed ground sirloin)
1/8 cup steamed veggies (usually either green beans, peas, carrots, cauliflour, or a mixture of all of these).

The meal was fed twice a day and usually I would put the healthy motion and the salmon in with his morning meal and offer the yogurt at night after dinner. The tums I would give ten minutes after he ate each meal.

As treats we did natural balance venison and sweet potato, fresh melon and strawberries, and fresh greenbeans and carrots. He also drinks bottled or filtered water.

This recipe was approved by my vet and their nutritional staff for Hunter's needs based on a variety of information that we researched online. He has a heart murmor, slight LPs, and is allergic to most grains/glutens and poultries.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
I started Perri on the Dr. Harvey's a year ago. He wasn't happy eating kibble, so I wanted to try a semi home-cooked. He loves it and eats with enthusiam now. To make sure he would be getting everything he needed, I had a nutritional blood test (nbt) done with Dr. Goldstein, the creator of the test and a respected holistic vet. nutritonist. He comes up with a customized nutraceutical powder based on the results. I had a follow up nbt done again 9 mos. later to make sure Perri was on the right track, which he was, but he made a few adjustments to his blend. I will do a follow up nbt at least yearly just to stay on top of things.
I rotate between ground lamb, ground turkey, and chicken every few months, and Perri lets me know when he's ready for a switch anyway. Of course I use quality antibiotic free/free range meats. I rotate organic flax and hemp oils daily, and occasionally use an odor free icelandic salmon oil I found recently too. Before it, Perri wouldn't eat fish oil. Then a probiotic/digestive enzyme supp (last year was Dr. Goodpet brand, now doing Animal Essential brand just to switch it up) and a pinch of chia seeds for the extra omegas.
It's incredibly easy. I just buy several servings of the meat and freeze in individual bags. Then I thaw and cook the meat fresh and also the mix every few days. I keep them seperate and put them together just before serving so it's more exact, and add his oil and supps. If you have any questions about the Dr. Harvey's or the nbt test pm me and I'd be glad to give you more info.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have been feeding Natures balance dry and adding Spot's stew or Nature's balance canned food, supplemented with an essential fatty acid oil I got from my vet. I also cook and feed, on occasion, broiled skinless chicken shredded, with baked and mashed carrots and mashed potatoes and mashed peas. They also like baked sweet potato. I also made a pasta dish with whole wheat shells, with the sauce made from mashed sweet potato and strained green beans (a natural baby food). To that I added some tiny meatballs I made when I made some for us. Theirs have no bread crumbs in it though. I had intended on experimenting with more recipes but you all seem to have it down pat so I will try some of yours.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
QUOTE (Bellapuppy @ Jun 15 2009, 09:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791704
I have been feeding Natures balance dry and adding Spot's stew or Nature's balance canned food, supplemented with an essential fatty acid oil I got from my vet. I also cook and feed, on occasion, broiled skinless chicken shredded, with baked and mashed carrots and mashed potatoes and mashed peas. They also like baked sweet potato. I also made a pasta dish with whole wheat shells, with the sauce made from mashed sweet potato and strained green beans (a natural baby food). To that I added some tiny meatballs I made when I made some for us. Theirs have no bread crumbs in it though. I had intended on experimenting with more recipes but you all seem to have it down pat so I will try some of yours.[/B]
Just remember, if homecooking makes up 20% of her total diet, you will have to supplement.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I would recommend not using cod liver oil as too high in vitamin A for liver babies but the fish oil is ok ;)

The coq10 is suppose to be excellent for gum support so that is great you are using that as maltese tend to get gum disease :(

QUOTE (Susie and Sadie @ Jun 15 2009, 12:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791450
Susie & Sadie both have asymptomatic MVD, but no other health issues. I've been feeding them a home cooked diet for about 5 years now.

I follow the recipes in Dr. Richard Pitcairn's book. But I cook the meat rather than giving it raw. I make a weeks worth at a time, and each time I make a new batch, I rotate the meat and grains being used.

For the protein, I rotate between organic chicken, fish (from VitalChoice.com ), eggs and cottage cheese, and occasionally organic, grass-fed beef (they don't do well with turkey).

Not all dogs do, but Susie & Sadie have always done really well with whole grains. I use gluten-free oats, millet, quinoa, brown rice, and sometimes crumbled, whole grain sprouted Ezekiel bread (I've tried spelt, but they didn't seem to digest it well).

I make a batch of pureed organic veggies - equal mix of root vegetables and leafy greens, plus some fruit such as apples, blueberries, etc., and add a spoonful to their food once a day.

I use ground eggshell powder for the calcium added to each batch of food.

For the oil in the recipes I use coconut oil (this is my favorite: Tropical Traditions ) or extra virgin olive oil.

Dr. Pitcairn's recipes call for a mix of supplements he calls Healthy Powder. Which is lecithin (non-GMO), kelp, nutritional yeast and calcium to balance it. I give the lecithin and kelp with the appropriate amount of calcium, but I omit the nutritional yeast. He says if it's omitted, to give a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement once a day, which I do.

Here's a list of the supplements they get each day, all with the OK of my holistic vet:

Milk thistle and Sam-e - for liver support

Vitamin C (not everyone agrees whether or not it's necessary for dogs, but my vet recommends it)

A muti-vitamin made from organic seed sprouts

Liquid mineral complex in solution (the C, multi-vitamin, and mineral complex I give them is from MaximumLiving.com It's what I take myself, and it was given the OK by my vet)

Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM supplement for joints (my vet recommended they start on it at the age of 5 as a preventive measure)

Coenzyme Q10

Probiotics

Fish oil or cod liver oil, or 1/2 tsp. of ground flax seeds

Vitamin E

1/4 tsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar

I can't say enough good things about feeding a home cooked diet. Susie & Sadie have done wonderfully with it. Their bloodwork is always excellent, and their teeth and gums are in great condition.[/B]

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I'm wondering which guidelines nutritionists follow? There are a couple ingredients I felt uncomfortable including in Casanova's diet which was nutritionist-prescribed, so I just want to make sure he is getting them elsewhere...

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
QUOTE (dwerten @ Jun 16 2009, 08:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791910
I would recommend not using cod liver oil as too high in vitamin A for liver babies but the fish oil is ok ;)

The coq10 is suppose to be excellent for gum support so that is great you are using that as maltese tend to get gum disease :([/B]
Debbie, I hadn't thought about cod liver oil being contra-indicative for dogs with compromised livers, but you're right. Thank you for pointing that out! I only gave it during the winter months to boost their vitamin D, but I think I'll just stick with the fish oil.

I started giving the CoQ10 several years back when Sadie was having issues with bleeding gums (this was before I started them on the home cooked diet...their teeth & gums are in great condition now). I saw a definite improvement in her gums once she was on the CoQ10, and I decided to start giving it to Susie as well. I've continued to keep them on it for gum health and also since it's an excellent antioxidant and good for the heart. :)

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
This topic was poised a few months ago, and someone posted this and I added this to my "favorites".

http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/Maltese.html

I cooked for Star his whole life after I read the ingredients on commercially prepared food - YUCK! :yucky: I too had an old copy of Dr. Pitcarin's and followed it as a guide. I used chicken leg quarters (8), 1 # of beef, 1 - 1 1/2 # each of zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potato, 1 bunch broccoli, 1 or 2 bunch parsley, 1 bag of brown rice.

EDIT: I forgot! I also put in about 1# of carrots too. All the veggies were put in a food processor before being mixed with the meats, and rice.

As for supplements, I gave him Flax oil instead of fish/cod oil, 50mg CoQ10, folic acid, doggy vitamin, acidophilus, doggy glucosamine, 250mg Biotin, calcium.

He never had skin issues, ear problems, or bad breath (until he got really ill). His stools were firm, well formed, and virtually "odorless".

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
oh good made me nervous when i saw that - i will say the holistic vet back in 2005 had my dd on it for 6 months and she is mvd and no issues but i did not know any better back then. I think he steered us in the wrong direction with my dd as he had her on 250mg of keflex too :( I since learned it is not good for liver dogs on the mvd livershunt group i am on and it has no anti-inflammatory agent either and best fish oil is with anchovies and sardines so i really like the www.nordicnaturals.com omega 3 as it has the vitamin E in it as well so let me know what you think about that one as heard their fish oil is really pure and another holistic vet recommends it for humans and for pets.

When demi had so many teeth removed and has periodontal disease many recommend coq10 so glad to know it is working as i am still leery of doing anything as been through so much with mine so still learning -- i am definitely sometimes analysis paralysis person :( so why i like to read up and educate before doing anything and why i wanted to see what others are doing:)

QUOTE (Susie and Sadie @ Jun 16 2009, 11:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792010
QUOTE (dwerten @ Jun 16 2009, 08:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791910

The coq10 is suppose to be excellent for gum support so that is great you are using that as maltese tend to get gum disease :([/B]
Debbie, I hadn't thought about cod liver oil being contra-indicative for dogs with compromised livers, but you're right. Thank you for pointing that out! I only gave it during the winter months to boost their vitamin D, but I think I'll just stick with the fish oil.

I started giving the CoQ10 several years back when Sadie was having issues with bleeding gums (this was before I started them on the home cooked diet...their teeth & gums are in great condition now). I saw a definite improvement in her gums once she was on the CoQ10, and I decided to start giving it to Susie as well. I've continued to keep them on it for gum health and also since it's an excellent antioxidant and good for the heart. :)
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
another thing i have read is best to food process veggies to break down the cellular wall so dogs can absorb the nutrients

also zucchini and celery juiced together and adding pulp and juice to food is good for them -- the zucchini cleanses liver and celery cleanses urinary tract

also heard spinach has calcium in it - is this true ?

I am not a big vitamin person but have heard liquid vitamin is better than pill as absorbs easier in the system but prefer to get vitamins from food instead

Many dogs can have ibd and cannot tolerate white potato and i notice with my dogs they vomit on sweet potato and white potato so wierd so have heard you can just go protein and veggie and not necessarily use carbs is this true? I know quinoa is suppose to be a good source too

Have also heard from a nutritionist that hemp is good as it is the perfec omega 3-6-9 ratio and she recommends only coconut oil and hemp so curious others thoughts

I do know if you do fish oil you have to have vitamine E as fish oil can deplete vitamin E in the body

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Nikki doesn't have bad breath, stinky stools, or gas.

There is such a difference with dogs who are fed crappy food. When we were in obedience class, one of the doggie students could clear a room with his gas, and he had a big stinky accident once, too. I seriously thought I was going to die. :smheat: I asked the owner what she fed him, and it was Dog Chow. :shocked:

Regarding nutritionists, etc., here is a link to a yahoo group that helps people with home cooking. They are very picky and you don't have to follow all of their info, but they have good tips and a good database

Yahoo Group Home Cooking for Dogs

And a couple of others:

Yahoo Group Natural Pet Care

Yahoo Group Dog Nutrition

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The different oils are not interchangeable within a recipe as the amount of linoleic may not be right. Most recipes I have found call for canola oil. Coconut oil especially does not have nearly enough linoleic and should only be used as an extra.

Oils and foods that contain linoleic acid include corn oil (59 %),cottonseed oil (49-58%), soybean oil (51%), safflower oil (78%), poppy seed oil (70%), hemp oil (50-70%), canola oil (21%), walnut oil (51%), grain-fed cow milk, olive oil (10%), palm oil (10%), sunflower oil (68%), lard (10%), egg yolks (16%), spirulina, peanut oil (48%), okra, rice bran oil (39%), wheat germ oil (55%), grape seed oil (73%), macadamia oil (1-3%), pistachio oil (32.7%), sesame oil (45%), cocoa butter (3%), coconut oil (2%), butter (2%).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
QUOTE (Nikki's Mom @ Jun 16 2009, 09:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792036
Regarding nutritionists, etc., here is a link to a yahoo group that helps people with home cooking. They are very picky and you don't have to follow all of their info, but they have good tips and a good database
Yahoo Group Home Cooking for Dogs
And a couple of others:
Yahoo Group Natural Pet Care
Yahoo Group Dog Nutrition[/B]
Suzan, I guess you have to "join" those groups to read there. Is that right? Which is the most reasonable, if you know what I mean? Not too far out.....

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Yes, you have to join. The home cooking one is ok. IMO they are just very "anal" about everything, but they mean well. You can join and be a lurker. When I was a member, I lurked and didn't post much of anything.

Regarding Canola oil, if you use it, I cannot stress enough to use ORGANIC Canola, as the regular Canola is genetically modified.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
QUOTE (dwerten @ Jun 16 2009, 12:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792035
another thing i have read is best to food process veggies to break down the cellular wall so dogs can absorb the nutrients

also zucchini and celery juiced together and adding pulp and juice to food is good for them -- the zucchini cleanses liver and celery cleanses urinary tract

also heard spinach has calcium in it - is this true ?

I am not a big vitamin person but have heard liquid vitamin is better than pill as absorbs easier in the system but prefer to get vitamins from food instead

Many dogs can have ibd and cannot tolerate white potato and i notice with my dogs they vomit on sweet potato and white potato so wierd so have heard you can just go protein and veggie and not necessarily use carbs is this true? I know quinoa is suppose to be a good source too

Have also heard from a nutritionist that hemp is good as it is the perfec omega 3-6-9 ratio and she recommends only coconut oil and hemp so curious others thoughts

I do know if you do fish oil you have to have vitamine E as fish oil can deplete vitamin E in the body[/B]
I agree that veggies need to be cut really really fine. I alternate between mincing and pureeing.
Baby bok choy has a very high level of calcium and so does spinach. Casanova does not like potatoes.
I will try zucchini and celery too....am always looking for new things to add...Casanova is so healthy now, but I am paranoid from before, so I only ever add one thing at a time like the old days.

21 - 40 of 202 Posts