Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

41 - 60 of 202 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I actually spoke with Dr. Harvey and he recomended switching the oils around, his recipe calls for 1 tbs of oil per lb of food. - He also suggested using oils with GLA like primrose and borage oils.

Marj or anyone- what do you know about those oils?

I use primarily olive oil and sometimes I use sesame if I have it on hand. I also add salmon oil to thier dinner.

Leslie

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
You don't necessarily have to use carbs in a recipe if your dog is healthy and active.

We mix sweet potato (starch-carb) with proteins because of Nikki's MVD.

That is really why you need to consult a veterinary nutritionist for custom recipes if your dog has any sort of medical condition.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
QUOTE (WoofLife @ Jun 16 2009, 11:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792079
I actually spoke with Dr. Harvey and he recomended switching the oils around, his recipe calls for 1 tbs of oil per lb of food. - He also suggested using oils with GLA like primrose and borage oils.

Marj or anyone- what do you know about those oils?

I use primarily olive oil and sometimes I use sesame if I have it on hand. I also add salmon oil to thier dinner.

Leslie[/B]
There is a fish, flax, borage oil combination supplement available in WalMart. It gives you the Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids in 1 gel capsule.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
QUOTE (dwerten @ Jun 16 2009, 09:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792035
Have also heard from a nutritionist that hemp is good as it is the perfec omega 3-6-9 ratio and she recommends only coconut oil and hemp so curious others thoughts[/B]
I don't use hemp oil because it's not recommended for human use. http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/artic...mption#more-340

It does say that it may be appropriate for domestic animals, but I choose to avoid it, since, like I said, it's not recommended for humans.

Here are a couple of articles on canola oil and vegetable oils:

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/conola.html
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...table-oils.aspx

Yes, these articles are geared towards human health, but the way I see it is, if it's not good enough for me, then it's not good enough for my fluffs.

I have also found some research indicating that the fructose sugar content in fruits has been shown to cause weight gain and insulin resistance. :bysmilie:

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/7...ournalcode=ajcn

I'll have to do more research on fruits.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
QUOTE (LoveSophie @ Jun 16 2009, 12:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792099
Yes, these articles are geared towards human health, but the way I see it is, if it's not good enough for me, then it's not good enough for my fluffs.[/B]

I agree with the 'good enough' part, but remember a canine's digestive system and nutrition needs are completely different than a human's. I'm not referring to a specific oil because I haven't studied that. Just in general.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
QUOTE (dwerten @ Jun 16 2009, 11:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792035
another thing i have read is best to food process veggies to break down the cellular wall so dogs can absorb the nutrients

also zucchini and celery juiced together and adding pulp and juice to food is good for them -- the zucchini cleanses liver and celery cleanses urinary tract

also heard spinach has calcium in it - is this true ?

I am not a big vitamin person but have heard liquid vitamin is better than pill as absorbs easier in the system but prefer to get vitamins from food instead

Many dogs can have ibd and cannot tolerate white potato and i notice with my dogs they vomit on sweet potato and white potato so wierd so have heard you can just go protein and veggie and not necessarily use carbs is this true? I know quinoa is suppose to be a good source too

Have also heard from a nutritionist that hemp is good as it is the perfec omega 3-6-9 ratio and she recommends only coconut oil and hemp so curious others thoughts

I do know if you do fish oil you have to have vitamine E as fish oil can deplete vitamin E in the body[/B]
I've always used Carlson's fish oil, but the Nordic Naturals looks like a really good one too.

Regarding the calcium in spinach, Dr. Pitcairn recommends avoiding large amounts of spinach and swiss chard as the high amount of oxalic acid interferes with calcium absorption. From what I understand, oxalic acid is broken down in cooking, but I give veggies raw after being pureed in the blender, so I just avoid those greens for them. It might be OK once in a while, though.

I'm so glad you started this topic. Everyone's given such great info, and I've learned several things myself. :)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Yes, we should always remember that nutrition guidelines for humans are not the same for canines

Regarding the Weston A. Price Foundation and Dr. Mercola, I find both to be a wealth of very good information, and I have the utmost respect for both. I also read Natural News every day.

We have been eating local, grass=fed and organic for a while now. I highly recommend that everyone check out their sites and this way of eating. And if you are really interested, read The Omnivore's Dilemma and Nourishing Traditions.

That being said, I don't agree with them on everything, and that's ok. Having worked in the natural foods and supplements industry, I have learned to research and try everything for myself. Then I take info from here and there, and make up my own mind. I also have a dear friend with ovarian cancer, and for the last two years we have been insane research junkies regarding natural health and nutrition

After experimenting with various foods/supplements, I understand that what may be good for one person may not be good for another, and the same goes for our dogs.

So regarding Hempseed Oil, IMO, hemp is a seed full of good healthy stuff, and a fine choice for EFA's and I will continue to use (and research) it.

Yes, fruit does have fructose and too much fructose isn't the best thing for your glycemic load, but I think a bit of organic fruit each day - especially berries, should be ok for our fluffs (and for us too!)

I'm really glad this topic was created and have enjoyed taking the time to participate. Perhaps we could pin it and then add stuff when we find out more info?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
another thing i have read is best to food process veggies to break down the cellular wall so dogs can absorb the nutrients

also zucchini and celery juiced together and adding pulp and juice to food is good for them -- the zucchini cleanses liver and celery cleanses urinary tract

I am not a big vitamin person but have heard liquid vitamin is better than pill as absorbs easier in the system but prefer to get vitamins from food instead

Many dogs can have ibd and cannot tolerate white potato and i notice with my dogs they vomit on sweet potato and white potato so wierd so have heard you can just go protein and veggie and not necessarily use carbs is this true? I know quinoa is suppose to be a good source too

Have also heard from a nutritionist that hemp is good as it is the perfec omega 3-6-9 ratio and she recommends only coconut oil and hemp so curious others thoughts

I do know if you do fish oil you have to have vitamine E as fish oil can deplete vitamin E in the body[/B]

I steam and puree my veggies in a blender. I have been using green beans but was told I could also use Zuccini, yellow squash and carrots. Was told green beans and zuccini were best and to not feed broccoli or peas because broccoli releases a lot of gas and peas aren't digested well.

I fed white potato at first and Lacy was really sick. Someone told me white potato can be inflammatory for dogs with IBD so I switched to sweet potato and she has done great ever since.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
yes that is correct about the white potato as mine cannot tolerate white potato dex or demi but dd can until this metacam incident now she cannot :(

you are correct on the broccoli and the peas i have heard the same that they need to be now do not laugh but deshelled as they cannot digest shell - also carrots have more sugar and not the best for dogs with diabetes

How about yams as dd likes yams ?

and yes yellow squash is good for them i have heard too

QUOTE (MyFairLacy @ Jun 16 2009, 06:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792234

I steam and puree my veggies in a blender. I have been using green beans but was told I could also use Zuccini, yellow squash and carrots. Was told green beans and zuccini were best and to not feed broccoli or peas because broccoli releases a lot of gas and peas aren't digested well.

I fed white potato at first and Lacy was really sick. Someone told me white potato can be inflammatory for dogs with IBD so I switched to sweet potato and she has done great ever since.
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
yes would love to get it pinned but not sure how to :( do we pm joe or k/c to pin it ?

I am enjoying this as well and so glad i started it as always wanting to learn more on nutrition. I am on several yahoo groups for nutrition as well but it gets over whelming sometimes

QUOTE (Nikki's Mom @ Jun 16 2009, 03:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792121
Yes, we should always remember that nutrition guidelines for humans are not the same for canines

Regarding the Weston A. Price Foundation and Dr. Mercola, I find both to be a wealth of very good information, and I have the utmost respect for both. I also read Natural News every day.

We have been eating local, grass=fed and organic for a while now. I highly recommend that everyone check out their sites and this way of eating. And if you are really interested, read The Omnivore's Dilemma and Nourishing Traditions.

That being said, I don't agree with them on everything, and that's ok. Having worked in the natural foods and supplements industry, I have learned to research and try everything for myself. Then I take info from here and there, and make up my own mind. I also have a dear friend with ovarian cancer, and for the last two years we have been insane research junkies regarding natural health and nutrition

After experimenting with various foods/supplements, I understand that what may be good for one person may not be good for another, and the same goes for our dogs.

So regarding Hempseed Oil, IMO, hemp is a seed full of good healthy stuff, and a fine choice for EFA's and I will continue to use (and research) it.

Yes, fruit does have fructose and too much fructose isn't the best thing for your glycemic load, but I think a bit of organic fruit each day - especially berries, should be ok for our fluffs (and for us too!)

I'm really glad this topic was created and have enjoyed taking the time to participate. Perhaps we could pin it and then add stuff when we find out more info?[/B]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
QUOTE (dwerten @ Jun 16 2009, 07:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792239
yes that is correct about the white potato as mine cannot tolerate white potato dex or demi but dd can until this metacam incident now she cannot :(

you are correct on the broccoli and the peas i have heard the same that they need to be now do not laugh but deshelled as they cannot digest shell - also carrots have more sugar and not the best for dogs with diabetes

and yes yellow squash is good for them i have heard too[/B]
what is the difference between yams and sweet potatos? I thought they were the same?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
oh good to know as jean dodds had it in her recipe and i asked where is the calcium and she said it is in the spinach so i learned alot from her on that --hey may be why popeye ate it lol

so glad everyone is learning as i always love learning on this topic :)

I have pitcairns book as well but a nutritionist for pets on my allerdog group gave me another book she likes better and i will get the name when i get home from work -- I always buy dermatology and nutrition books for animals on ebay :) Now having the time to read them lol

QUOTE (Susie and Sadie @ Jun 16 2009, 02:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792114

I've always used Carlson's fish oil, but the Nordic Naturals looks like a really good one too.

Regarding the calcium in spinach, Dr. Pitcairn recommends avoiding large amounts of spinach and swiss chard as the high amount of oxalic acid interferes with calcium absorption. From what I understand, oxalic acid is broken down in cooking, but I give veggies raw after being pureed in the blender, so I just avoid those greens for them. It might be OK once in a while, though.

I'm so glad you started this topic. Everyone's given such great info, and I've learned several things myself. :)
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Artichoke Hearts are really good, too. Great for the liver. I buy them frozen at Trader Joe's. Zucchini, yellow squash, green beans and artichoke hearts are the veggies I use the most for Nikki's food. I love organic "Garnet" yams, or "Jewel" yams. The other day I bought purple sweet potatoes instead of Garnet yams. Wow, were they a gorgeous shade of purple!!

Watermelon is really good, too. Another liver helper.

And I just want to say, I may not agree with everyone about their style/ingredients regarding home cooking, and many might not agree with me. That's okay. That's what makes for interesting conversation.

I highly respect everyone's opinions and welcome the discussion. I hope this thread helps a lot of Malt moms and dads learn more about home cooking.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
a client of mine had a diet made by ucdavis and had 5 tums a day for a lhasa 20lbs and i was shocked so i checked with jackie about it and i guess it is a source of calcium that ucdavis uses that is different then egg shells or bone meal - i found that interesting

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
lol funny you should say that as so did i lol but when i was home cooking for elimination diet for my dd with allergies i learned the difference -- they are different yams are real orange and the sweet potato almost looks like a white potato but a hint more yellow -- they make sweet potato pie out of the sweet potato around thanksgiving and really good almost looks like a pumpkin pie too

also always best to do organic as our dogs are so small

QUOTE (MyFairLacy @ Jun 16 2009, 07:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792242
QUOTE (dwerten @ Jun 16 2009, 07:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792239

and yes yellow squash is good for them i have heard too[/B]
what is the difference between yams and sweet potatos? I thought they were the same?
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
QUOTE (dwerten @ Jun 16 2009, 08:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792257
a client of mine had a diet made by ucdavis and had 5 tums a day for a lhasa 20lbs and i was shocked so i checked with jackie about it and i guess it is a source of calcium that ucdavis uses that is different then egg shells or bone meal - i found that interesting[/B]
Tums are calcium carbonate. A lot of recipes call for that for calcium.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
ThePossibleCanine-Nutrition on yahoo groups is good

k9nutrition is another good yahoo group

Totally_Canine_Nutrition on yahoogroups.com

these are all ones i belong to but on no mail as get overwhelmed lol but like to go back and learn from time to time

just joined the other ones on this thread as well :)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
thanks just joined them too :)

QUOTE (Nikki's Mom @ Jun 16 2009, 11:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=792036
Nikki doesn't have bad breath, stinky stools, or gas.

There is such a difference with dogs who are fed crappy food. When we were in obedience class, one of the doggie students could clear a room with his gas, and he had a big stinky accident once, too. I seriously thought I was going to die. :smheat: I asked the owner what she fed him, and it was Dog Chow. :shocked:

Regarding nutritionists, etc., here is a link to a yahoo group that helps people with home cooking. They are very picky and you don't have to follow all of their info, but they have good tips and a good database

Yahoo Group Home Cooking for Dogs

And a couple of others:

Yahoo Group Natural Pet Care

Yahoo Group Dog Nutrition[/B]

41 - 60 of 202 Posts