Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a lot of good information on SM and I will read through it.

I'm thinking this fall I might try the home cooking route. BUT...for me, it's just like going to a gym to excercise - it's gotta be pretty easy and convenient or I know I won't stick to it. :whistle:

Is there such a thing?

I have four dogs to feed and I don't want to be cooking more than once a week :blink: - heck I don't even cook for myself every night :blush:

Is there something easy? Like some pack of ingredients I could buy and add them to chicken or something???

I admit it, I'm lazy :brownbag: when it comes to cooking. So if you have an easy "healthy" way to cook. Could you give me a hint?

It's so easy to open a can - but I'm always weary of recalls and the kids are getting tired of the same old thing every night.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Hey Pat!! That's exciting! :chili:I really only cook once a week also for the fluffs. And I rarely ever cook for me or DH. :blush: Do you have a food processor? It's very easy to throw veggies in there and later mix with the protein. I find that the food keeps especially well in the fridge and freezer when I separate proteins and veggies. You could probably cook for a whole month's worth of food for all your fluffs if you wanted. For me, I can definitely see the difference in my fluffs' energy level and health when I home cook, and it is so gratifying!!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Hey Pat, have you tried Dr. Harvey's pre-mix? I have been wanting to start cooking for Bailey as well and even ordered Dr. Becker's book for the recipes. But like you, I don't know if I can keep up with it right now. So I'm planning on trying a pre-mix soon...something I just have to mix protein and oils in to sounds simple enough.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Pat!! That's exciting! :chili:I really only cook once a week also for the fluffs. And I rarely ever cook for me or DH. :blush: Do you have a food processor? It's very easy to throw veggies in there and later mix with the protein. I find that the food keeps especially well in the fridge and freezer when I separate proteins and veggies. You could probably cook for a whole month's worth of food for all your fluffs if you wanted. For me, I can definitely see the difference in my fluffs' energy level and health when I home cook, and it is so gratifying!!
Yes, I have a processor. Do you buy all kinds of supplements too??? I'm not excited about it yet.....but I really want to be....:blush:

Hey Pat, have you tried Dr. Harvey's pre-mix? I have been wanting to start cooking for Bailey as well and even ordered Dr. Becker's book for the recipes. But like you, I don't know if I can keep up with it right now. So I'm planning on trying a pre-mix soon...something I just have to mix protein and oils in to sounds simple enough.
I think I've heard of it, and that's probably what I've been thinking about. Will have to look into it a bit more. thanks.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I honestly must admit I hate homecooking for Lady and she's just one! I can't imagine cooking for four. The results are really worth it, though.

I'd check out Dr. Harvey's if I had four healthy dogs who didn't need special recipes. Dr. Becker's book made me tired just reading it! When it was suggested you buy another freezer just for dog food, she lost me!

Supplements are really easy. Just add exactly what the recipe calls for. Usually it's not very complicated - bone meal (calcium/phosphorus), iodized salt, canola or safflower oil (linoleic acid). I also give Lady Animal Essentials multivitamin and probiotics.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I honestly must admit I hate homecooking for Lady and she's just one! I can't imagine cooking for four. The results are really worth it, though.

I'd check out Dr. Harvey's if I had four healthy dogs who didn't need special recipes. Dr. Becker's book made me tired just reading it! When it was suggested you buy another freezer just for dog food, she lost me!

Supplements are really easy. Just add exactly what the recipe calls for. Usually it's not very complicated - bone meal (calcium/phosphorus), iodized salt, canola or safflower oil (linoleic acid). I also give Lady Animal Essentials multivitamin and probiotics.
I know, Marj - it's got to be easy or I know I won't do it. With the Dr. Harvey's do you think I still need to buy all those supplements? Aren't they in there???

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I know, Marj - it's got to be easy or I know I won't do it. With the Dr. Harvey's do you think I still need to buy all those supplements? Aren't they in there???
I think Dr. Harvey's has all the supplements, but I've never used it myself.

Balance IT is another one that is supposed to be super easy.

I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but I'm not sure I'd homecook if Lady didn't have so many health issues. I simply ran out of commercial dog foods she could eat a few years ago. There really are some excellent premium pet foods on the market today.

I guess I am basically lazy. :brownbag:

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Dr. Harvey's has all the supplements, but I've never used it myself.

Balance IT is another one that is supposed to be super easy.

I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but I'm not sure I'd homecook if Lady didn't have so many health issues. I simply ran out of commercial dog foods she could eat a few years ago. There really are some excellent premium pet foods on the market today.

I guess I am basically lazy. :brownbag:
Love you, Marj! Sometimes I think about looking up that "Party Animal" food that Suzan says she likes, I know she says it's just her opinion, but, heck, that's good enough for me. I just don't like having to order the food....lazy people like me like to just pick it up at a local store. :blush:

I'm still in the thinking stage, maybe I'll try a few things until I settle on something easy and good for them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
You don't have to add anything to Dr. Harvey's except a protein and an oil. Although I'd add a probiotic too, but that's pretty easy. You could always just feed them plain yogurt a few times a week.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Pat, I have a great idea, you do all the cooking and I'll send you seal a meal bags, you can fill them and send them my way:biggrin::whistle: I only cook on holidays,:chili: I had 6 kids and cooked all the time, :w00t:I'm retired now so why oh why would I cook for my girls? Use Dr. Harveys, then you have no clean up:HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey, Pat! It's easy. I especially love using my large crockpot for making our dog food. Dr. Harvey's is a very easy and good alternative for homecooking.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I forgot about Honest Kitchen. That's a good pre-mix as well. Whatever you decide, IMO grain-free is better.

Believe me, if I could afford to buy really good, healthy, grain-free, organic food already prepared for me, do you think I'd cook for me or the dogs? Nope! The only reason why I do it is because it's healthier. I don't do it because I love it. I used to love cooking, but as I get older, not so much.

Actually what I really need is a personal chef, lol. For me and the dogs.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot about Honest Kitchen. That's a good pre-mix as well. Whatever you decide, IMO grain-free is better.

Believe me, if I could afford to buy really good, healthy, grain-free, organic food already prepared for me, do you think I'd cook for me or the dogs? Nope! The only reason why I do it is because it's healthier. I don't do it because I love it. I used to love cooking, but as I get older, not so much.

Hey, I'm all for that!!!!! I need one of those too!!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Pat - start with the premix like Dr. Harvey's or Honest Kitchens. It's easy because it has everything that the fluffs need except the protein and the oil. You had that when you feed them.

I've done both -- total Homecooking and using Dr. Harvey's. I hate feeling that I might be leaving out some supplement that the girls really need and they like Dr. Harvey's so I've been using that lately.

My suggestions is to start with Dr. Harvey's and if you get adventuress, then you can expand to total homecooking. :)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I buy Dr. Harvey's online directly from his website. Amazon sells it, too. Also, some of our very own SM members sell it in their stores.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts

when you find that personal chef send him or her my way:HistericalSmiley:I would love to be pampered

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I buy Dr. Harvey's online directly from his website. Amazon sells it, too. Also, some of our very own SM members sell it in their stores.

Thanks Suzan!!!

Actually I'm starting to get a little confused about the homecooking:blush:. Why is it when you use DR. Harvey's veggie mixture you don't have to add additional supplements other then oil. Yet when you make your own veggie mixture they say you should. The only difference
I can see one is freeze dried and the other is'nt. Am I missing something
here?:blink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts