Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shopping all over for the healthiest, and yummiest among dry and wet food. The last site I came across with NO BYPRODUCTS, for "small dogs" with a balanced percentage between protein, fat, and vitamins, was DrsFosterandsmith.com. I am not a representative by the way. I just want to know the healthiest way to bring up my malti is. I have been reading articles on home recipes and certain companies outputting feed, but I would like to know if anyone knows the ideal nutritional value menu for a maltese diet!!! I know I'm asking Knowledge for a lot here... but I will do anything to keep my darling healthy and happy! I am feeding my malti Drs. Foster and Smith's feed combined with their fish and potato wet food. He wolfs it down! Is there another product that is better for Kenji? Does anyone have a well balanced recipe for maltese? I do give kenji a daily vita-tab.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I've not ordered any of the new Foster's and Smith foods. They put their product name on things, but I'm not sure they actually manufacture all the things with their brand name. It would be interesting to know if one of the known natural/organic companies makes it. It sounds great and if your baby loves it and the ingredients are what you are looking for, then go for it.

Frosty has always been hard to feed and finding something I think has the right stuff, and he will eat is impossible! I like Natural Balance canned and dry (some of theirs), Precise dry, Innova dry, Merrick canned. He likes Cesar canned, but I don't think the quality is there. I ocassionally add some cooked peas or greenbeans, potatoes or carrots, cooked chicken breast, rice and bits of cooked beef. I don't like the RAW diet. Too messy and too much bactiria for me.

I have given him Missing Link Plus for years. It's great tasting and has lots of the Omega's, etc. So if you are as well read about the foods as it seems and are giving him supplements too, I think you've got nothing to worry about. I believe in using a variety in their diets. That way what one doesn't have maybe the other does, and they don't get so hung up on eating the same thing every day. Just keep up the good work. Having the interest to learn about these things is so great!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have finally settled on giving my dogs Solid Gold brand of food.(at least for now) I alternate meals with Hund n Flocken and Just a Wee Bit. For my underweight rescue I give her Innova Small Bites. The boys would love Innova too, but it is too high in calories. I also supplement for treats a little Gerber Chicken Dices (baby food), but since I have found canned Green Tripe (see another thread) I may start feeding that with their food.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If you are feeding premium food like Drs Foster and unless your dog has a special health issue, I would reconsider giving supplements. Maltese livers make Vitamin C so a supplement containing that vitamin could actually be harmful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.