• No, I take my dog to a groomer!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do both!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I put both down. I think that Noriko probably never has to go back to the groomers because it's soooooo hard to see her mistakes so she for the most part looks perfect. Cloud's hair is soooooo straight, that you can see every single flaw. So I may take him again when his hair is a lil longer.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I put both because we have been taking Sylphide to the groomers until the last few months, and did our first full short cut on her ourselves just a week or so ago. We really didn't do a bad job for a first try

I think we'll be doing our own from now on, but am not entirely sure--I might send them in now and then if I feel they need a professional touch. We'll see what progress we make grooming ourselves.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i voted as BOTH

i usually dont want to go to any groomer coz u can never trust them 100%

i try to do it by myself usually but

about a month ago when jongee got her puppycut after growing her hair almost full coat, the groomer that i usually go to (they are really nice) gave her a razor burn and scratches

i was soooo pissed i had an argument there coz the guy or whoever was talking to me kept saying to m "U ARE OVER REACTING ITS ONLY A SCRATCH !!!!!"

jerk !!!!!!!

i was sooo pissed at them and i kept screaming SHES MY DOG !!! U SHOULDNT BE GIVING SCRATCHES AND UR A GROOMER !!!!!

get this, they were ALL BLAMING JONGEE coz they said she was all wiggly and stuff and im like, SHE NEVER WIGGLES WHEN I GROOM HER MYSELF !! even my breeder told me jongee stands completetly still when my breeder babysits jongee for me sometimes

and guess what the guy said?? WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD NEVER GO TO A GROOMER AGAIN AND DO UR OWN GROOMING URSELF AT HOME!!!

JERK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

anywyz, long story short, i took photos of her scratches on my digitalcamera so that i could sue them !!!!!! but i didnt

im never going back ,they didnt even apologize and only gave me a portion of my moneyback

groomer says "u got a good deal of getting a bath and a haircut for only 20 dollars" when he gave some money back

and i was like "yeah right, with a scratch"

(one scratch went thru jongee's nipple too)

so yeah, i called my breeder up right away all upset and i was crying
my breeder said that she could help me with jongee's grooming coz i dont think i'll be going to a groomer unless jongee really really needs to go

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Awww, poor Jongee!!

Anyways, that's exactly why I started grooming Peanut myself. He had a nick on his eyelid, the area where his back leg connects to his body, and his bum. I wanted to strangle that groomer for hurting my little guy!!!
No more groomers for us!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I have nicked my baby before.
I felt SO bad....but I would rather do it than someone else...ya know?

Anyway, I voted both, even though I usually do it myself. He just turned one and has only been to the groomer twice. The first one butchered him! The second one did fine and was very reasonable...AND let me stay and watch. I do pretty well myself though, and it is free! HA! I actually enjoy it for the most part. This thing with not letting me do his feet lately has been annoying...but we are working through it...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I used to take Tuffy to be groomed, but I just never was happy with the groomers I used.. they all pretty much flat out refused to cut him into a puppy cut.. either out of laziness or because they didn't know how to trim a Malt. Tuffy was also very upset after the last grooming session he went to so I suspect they may have hit him or yelled at him because he was not himself at all, very skittish and scared. -_- So now I do it myself. It's good to know he's not sitting in a cage all day waiting to be groomed or possibly abused by the groomers. Ugh, still makes me so mad just to think about it.
I don't give him a "great" haircut by any means since I'm still learning how to do it, but it's not hideous and we are both so much happier that it is totally worth it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i groom park myself. never used a groomer before. not to many people are happy, so i never wanted to try it out. too scared

·
Registered
755 Posts
Me Too, LadyMontava!!!! I too am VERY scared to trust a groomer!!!

Awwwww, Poor Jongee.......
I will NOT take my baby to a groomer!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I checked "both" but I only do light grooming. I could probably do the bath part but my groomer is so good about the ears and feet, etc. I would never feel safe doing nails myself. I'm just not good with doing stuff with my hands like crafts and such and this is sort of like that.....

I do enjoy brushing Catcher and fixing his top knot, etc. So I do that every day and take him and Kallie to the groomer once a month for a full grooming. As I've said in other posts. I've been using this groomer for more than ten years (started with my first Maltese, Rosebud) so I trust her not to do anything stupid. It is quite expensive per month at $86 for the two so it probably would be a good idea for me to learn how to do it myself ....... Maybe some day.....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When I went to vote, it said I already voted (liar!
). I may not have been too happy with Beastie's first time session with a groomer, but at least he came out intact. I'd have been upset if he came back with what Jongee did. Poor baby. Hope it heals quickly!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Mar 13 2005, 02:59 PM
I have nicked my baby before.
I felt SO bad....but I would rather do it than someone else...ya know?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42861
[/QUOTE]
That's what I was thinking! If someone will hurt my baby I'd rather it be me. Plus I wouldn't want to be PAYING someone careless enough to nick him. I know accidents happen, but be careful with my little Peanut!! The thing that drove me crazy is that I have a weird eye phobia
...Knock on wood that I will never need contacts :new_Eyecrazy: But when I saw the nick on Peanut's eyelid it freaked me out.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
A few years ago Jonathan went to a groomer a few times, mostly for socialization experience (he's a fear biter). I always fixed his hair cut when he came home. With my very first Maltese, we took her to a Petsmart locally and the manager did her and she always looked wonderful, was happy to go, etc. When that manager left, they never did her quite right. We tried another groomer and then I got clippers and did her myself. Now I know of a good groomer who could do the dogs if for some weird reason I couldn't. I actually groom a couple of client dogs. One was a rescue and was a complete freak when they got him, so definately needed mom to be there. He is an angel now for grooming because his mom and I worked with him. I do him (poodle/bichon mix), a "mutant" Yorkie, a terrier mix, and the occasional other poodle or little fluffy dog. I also do lion clips on cats, mostly ones that have to have anesthesia. I do have one regular cat who comes in every few months, not matted, but the one time she got matted I clipped her and her mom loves it. She is so good so I do her whenever her mom wants for $35 (normally a cat is $75 just for clipping...anesthesia is extra through the vet). Cat skin is particularly easy to nick and burn.

Every once in a while one of my own boys gets a touch of razor burn on their bellies when I shave them. I shave them close and that can cause razor burn even if you are quite careful. Surgical clips are done with a 40 blade against the grain for sterility and it is sooo easy to have some clipper burn doing that, especially around legs.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Mar 13 2005, 08:57 PM
Every once in a while one of my own boys gets a touch of razor burn on their bellies when I shave them. I shave them close and that can cause razor burn even if you are quite careful. Surgical clips are done with a 40 blade against the grain for sterility and it is sooo easy to have some clipper burn doing that, especially around legs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42965
[/QUOTE]
I don't cut Peanut's hair that short, but for his neuter I saw he had razor burn on his belly which didn't really bother him...it was just the cuts and the blood from the groomers that got me angry. From across the room I noticed the red blotch on his eye.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I put baby powder on the belly to avoid as much as possible burns or scratches. I knock on wood, he has not got any yet. But he got a scratch onces at the groomer during the time I did not do him myself. I think that's the reason he would fight and not lay on his back to have his belly shaved. It took me a year to get him to let me do it without fighting me.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I took Lady to the groomer 3 times when I first adopted her. The first time was basically a shave down since she was so dirty and matted. The second time she was a wreck when I picked her up, shaking and so upset. Later that evening I dicovered a huge wound on the very top of her head. The groomer must have shaved off the skin when she went over the bones. It must have bled and bled like crazy because it took a long time to completely heal (it was the size of a nickel)and she still has a scar almost 5 years later (the hair never grew back). The worst thing was that no one said a word to me about her being injured when I picked her up.

So we tried another groomer......no injuries, but the most lopsided, uneven haircut you have ever seen. Something made Lady really itchy, too, because she came home and just started chewing herself. She chewed all the hair off her front legs, swallowed it, got very sick, and ended up at the emergency vet who sent me home with some anti-nausea medication.

She got worse and worse over night so I took her to my vet first thing the next morning and she was hospitalized and put on an IV to rehydrate her. Between both vets it was nearly $500.

So I learned to groom her myself!

It is a big investment to get all the equipment, but definately worth it!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I think some of you all remember the pictures of Kodie I posted after his 1st groomer visit! He was BOLD! He looked like a chihuahua! It was badd... and then he became sick... throwing up. I had to get him hospitalized and put on IVs over night. I then tried a new groomer where I could stay with Kodie so he wouldnt be so scared... after I learned how to do most of the things she did... I bought my own stuff and have been grooming Kodie myself ever since! I dont have to worry about him being all worked up (sick)... shaved... or looking stupid (well... unless I make a mistake cutting him... haha
).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I admit I have not read this thread yet but wanted to answer the poll I just did. I groom Fantasia at home. I do the brushing, baths, nails, ears, teeth, and hait cuts. In fact I have to trip around her paws today because she's going to the vet and I want them to see how she chews her nails. I only trim around her paws on her hair cutting day but her hair is getting a little long down there so I have to touch up. I also have to trim her butt hole so they can take her temp if they need to. Anyway I took her to a groomer once (PetsMart) and I hated it so I decided I wasn't going to pay that much money for something I didn't like and I would just do it myself. Even if I do a bad job and hate it, it was FREE! I have gotten better over the years. I get comments on how good she looks. I even get asked where I get her groomed, and they are always shocked that I do it myself.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts