Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i was just wondering why you dont use a flea/tick medication like frontline or advantix? i honestly dont thing home remedies dont help....my grandma wouldnt agree with me :lol: but if you're really looking for a home remedy--people think that garlic wards off fleas(but too much garlic can cause anemia for dogs and its not proven that it really does that). good luck with the fleas.
i've never had a problem with them so i wish i could help you out more.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My vet actually told me that since my babies stay indoors most of the time that I don't really need flee meds. He said because Maltese are so white, to check them after each time you go out. Do they sell avon stuff there? He suggested using avon skin-so-soft. I don't use it because It's a wee bit too oily for me. But if you're desperate....
. Good luck.

V

·
0 Posts
No matter where you live frontline is available to be shipped..you might land up paying more in shipping than the cost of the product but it would be worth it.
I think that avon skin so soft works as insect repellent cause it stinks so much no flea would want to stay on your dog long enough to bite or reproduce. Giving Brewers yeast tablets is an old but good suggestion. Before systemic products were available I used it with some sucess. But...unless you have a specific reason not to use frontline or advantik or a similar product...thatey are the best solutions. No dog should suffer with fleas.

V

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 11 2004, 01:55 PM
One of the vets I went to told me that you have to be cafefull shipping Frontline Plus because if it gets too hot or too cold it can effect the product.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15998
[/QUOTE]
Lexi's mom...any chance he told ya that because he wanted to sell you product right there and then and make a profit? Think about it..doesn't make sense since how did the vet get the product..it was shipped! Of course the longer the trip it takes the more potential of temp change...so would want to ship from a source that is as close as possible.
We live in miraculous times..if you lived in the remotest corner of the earth if u pay the price whatever can be sent!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by vita+Nov 11 2004, 02:17 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Nov 11 2004, 01:55 PM
One of the vets I went to told me that you have to be cafefull shipping Frontline Plus because if it gets too hot or too cold it can effect the product.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15998
Lexi's mom...any chance he told ya that because he wanted to sell you product right there and then and make a profit? Think about it..doesn't make sense since how did the vet get the product..it was shipped! Of course the longer the trip it takes the more potential of temp change...so would want to ship from a source that is as close as possible.
We live in miraculous times..if you lived in the remotest corner of the earth if u pay the price whatever can be sent!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16020
[/B][/QUOTE]

It wouldn't suprise me. But I talked to a customer service rep from Frontline and they said that Frontline plus is NOT a prescription but they ONLY sell to vets. So any of the online stores that sell it actually by it from vets office. Or, it is not really Frontline plus. It just looks like it.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We have been using Frontline plus and we CANNOT get rid of the fleas. Vet says it is because they have to bite-and if they don't bite, the meds don't work-
I am going to swap to Advantix and see what happens!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by vita@Nov 11 2004, 11:44 AM
I think that avon skin so soft works as insect repellent cause it stinks so much no flea would want to stay on your dog long enough to bite  or reproduce.
Stinks for the fleas only or stinks to everyone? It smelled like powder or something to me
. But yeah, it is an insect repellant.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Just a warning regarding the Frontline and Advantage.. there wasa warning from the EPA regarding these two products.... some have been found to be counterfeit...
here is the lik to the website with more information.

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/petproduct.htm

Missy has bladder cancer so as you might imagine.. i have been doing a lot of "homework" and researching..
the cause had been linked to insecticides, pesticides, and fungicides. BTW we do not treat our lawn or gardens with any of these type producta or chemicals.

Anyway for obvious reasons I do try to take as natual approach as possible.
I now do use a product I got in a health food store but do have a link to a site that lists other 'recipes ' you can do your self. this product happens to contain most of the same 'oils' so simply found it more economical and easier. My friend who has a Golden and prefers ro go natural if possible and I were planning to go half and hald of the oils and make our own..split it but then I found this so we went with it.
it contains citric acid, peppermint oil, lemon grass oil, rosemary oil,mixed in water... may have one more ingredient... not sure. it is called tick guard.. but it also takes care of fleas... though that seems to be the ONE thing we don't have a problem with here.Neighbor's dog gets them... Missy doesn't. the 'down' side is it does have to be re-applied about every time Missy goes out... I don't "spritz" her.. ( she hates that") so I just spritz my hand and rub on top of her legs and body.

Another thing I find a great "tool" is a lint roller. I use it on Missy the second we step inside .. just roll over body and have "picked-up" many interesting little critters.. many harmless.. but glad to have them on the sticky tape and not on Missy. have caught MANy little tiny ticks this way.. before they even have a chance to find their 'feeding' spot. great for when she gets the fresh mowed grass all over her too

Here is a site that is simply loaded with natural approaches to many many things, plus many interesting topics.
Here is the link directly to the natural flea treatments.

http://lowchensaustralia.com/health/bites2.htm

Just want to say.. some remedies I think have 'tea tree oil".. it is one thing that HAS TO BE diluted to a certain strength only .. for use on canines and cats.

Terry and Missy

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Nov 11 2004, 03:50 PM
We have been using Frontline plus and we CANNOT get rid of the fleas. Vet says it is because they have to bite-and if they don't bite, the meds don't work-
I am going to swap to Advantix and see what happens!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16030
[/QUOTE]
if you dont have ticks just use advantage...there are different chemical compontents b/w advantix and advantage...advantage is safer.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Wow, I just checked out the site that IAMMOMTOMISSY showed us. You can use lemon as repellant!!?!! This site is pretty cool!

·
Registered
755 Posts
ButterCloudandNoriko,

Same here.
I don't use anything for princess. She almost never goes outside and the only time I take her out is in the car or in her carrier. I use flea med. for my weimaraner because she goes potty outside but not for my precious baby. I hate the oily stuff on her hair.

IamMomtoMissy,

Natural flea treatments sounds interesting. But does it really works like other flea med? I'd like to use any med that is as natural as possible.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Bathing them in Dawn dishwashing detergent will kill any fleas that are already on them, but won't prevent fleas. And it has to be Dawn.....no substitutes!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Here is a super, natural flea killer for treating the lawn and garden: beneficial nematodes. They can be purchased in garden stores and are in a wet sponge that is kept cool until application. I pay $10 for an application and apply them in Spring and Fall.

You squeeze the sponge out into a gallon of water and pour that into a hose-end sprayer and spray it over the lawn and garden then water it in again. I do this twice a year here in Central Texas and even though we live on a large corner lot with lots of dogs being walked and 6-8 outdoor cats in our area, no fleas!

The nematodes will eat larva. Flea larva, beetle or grub larva, any larva in your earth. Thus, any fleas that are brought onto your lawn can't multiply and will die their natural death without leaving decendents.
If they eat all the larva available, they will die so you have to reapply. That is why I use Spring and Fall as application times.

Plus, it is completely natural and harmless to our pets and the environment. I swear by this as I have been using it for 10 years or more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts