Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really starting to consider homecooking for both London & Preston based on what we are going through with London right now (excessive licking, scratching, tear staining coming back, saliva staining anywhere she licks, etc).

I honestly do not think she has a food allergy, though. This all started a few weeks before I switched them over to Orijen 6 Fresh Fish kibble and they were previously on Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison. They do not get treats on a regular basis, and when they do they only get Zuke's Mini Naturals in Salmon.

They drink filtered water (Brita pitcher). I use all natural shampoo/conditioner on them (Nature's Specialties). I will admit that I use regular Tide liquid detergent on their bedding, but I have used this from the start so I would doubt (although not impossible) that London is allergic to the detergent now).

My house cleaning products are almost all "green" (I use Method products, clean my hardwoods with a steam mop, but do use Comet Scratch-Free on our bathtub but not on any other surface). London does not sneeze or cough, and this problem has been going on for at least 6 months now so I do not think it's seasonal allergies.

Could we benefit from homecooking? Obviously, yes, but I mean, does it sound like London especially would feel better on a homecooked diet?

Specifically, I'm wondering if the protein sources MUST be organic/natural/free-range or if to start I might be able to use something a little more cost-efficient since I really have no idea how expensive it will be to cook for them.

Must I seek guidance from a vet in town on a properly balanced diet for them, or can I find suitable recipes w/ supplements online that will work? I am aware that I will likely need to add in a few supplements.

Also, how much do your dogs eat per day on a homecooked diet? Is it about equal to the amount of kibble they would eat? Currently, London & Preston each get 1/4cup twice per day, for a total of 1/2cup each. Some days they don't want breakfast, and some days they finish both meals.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Just do the best you can with protein sources. If you can afford and find organic, grass-fed, hormone-free animal protein and wild-caught fish, then go for it. If not, just get what you can find/afford, but make sure to use the Omega 3 supplements. Supermarket meats are still a lot better than kibble. Nikki eats about 4 oz a day of her food. Right now she is eating chicken and zucchini.

This is a good book by Dr. Becker, and it will tell you everything you need to know: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/real-food-for-healthy-dogs-and-cats-cookbook.aspx

I wouldn't recommend getting a recipe online unless you are paying for it and it's from a veterinary professional.

You can study a dog's nutritional needs and use an online database like Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com and do your own recipe. That takes time and patience.

You can also try raw. Paw Naturaw makes some great organic blends.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts