Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am disgusted and furious.I rangon Monday to inquire about the pathology report on the tumour and I was told that it was not included in the cost of $1000 for her surgery that it had to be paid seperately. I was told that it would be put aside and kept till I went to pay. I rang this morning and now I have been told that the vet that did the surgery was a stand in vet and that the tumour has gone missing cannot be found so I cannot have it tested. So Icannot now get a definite answer whether it was beign or not.
All the vet is now saying that if she develops tumours again within 6 to 12 months it was malignant. So now I will be worried about her

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
:angry::angry: Oh I would be highly upset, that is so unprofessional. I know everyone makes mistakes but it sounds like a lot of mistakes were mad.
I will continue to pray for you precious Honey.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I would call the main vet and tell him be better track down that sample that they took.......they would have to inform you at the time of surgery that it was extra and give you the option then to pay or not. ....that is unheard of and so unprofessional.....I am so sorry!!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Wow! I would be upset too. What is wrong with people that they only see $$. I mean, they already did the report but won't give it to you unless you pay more money?? That's disgraceful.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I don't get-it.. on one hand they say the report would be put-aside and you would get results when you paid for it ( a whole other issue which is unheard of in my opinion !!!) and on the other hand they say the sample was lost.

I'm wondering if the report wasn't 'pulled from file' ( due to requirement of payment... which does irk the heck out of me! ) .. and is 'floating around the office somewhere.

I think I'd call ... or better yet go in person if relatively near and not big inconvience... and see if you can't get to the bottom of it. Can't help but wonder if the 'put-aside' has just 'confused' the office person and that there is a communication problem .

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is horrible!!!! I've been through similar things with a vet clinic here in Toronto. They got $5000 out of me on tests for one of my dogs and we have no answer's to why he is sick still. They just kept running unnecessary tests on him to get more money out of us. Our new vet let us know that they were taking us for all we had. It's terrible that people will take advantage of us when we want to do the right thing and be responsible pet owners!!

You should find out if there is any way they can be held responsible for their errors. I will be making a huge stink with our old vets as soon as my new one comes back from a conference in Europe. I'm going to try and get some of my money back.

Good luck and I will be thinking about you and your baby. Try to track down the missing samples and get a biopsy if you can so that you can ease your mind.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
I feel your pain ,i had much the same problem when summer was sick ,all i did was throw money at vets and got no were ..i hope every thing works out for you in the end,,hugs .

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There is no way they should get away with this. :angry: How could they have lost it? It makes no sense. You've paid enough money.....you should actually get it back cause of their irresponsiblity. This should be reported or further looked into.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
I don't get-it.. on one hand they say the report would be put-aside and you would get results when you paid for it ( a whole other issue which is unheard of in my opinion !!!) and on the other hand they say the sample was lost.

I'm wondering if the report wasn't 'pulled from file' ( due to requirement of payment... which does irk the heck out of me! ) .. and is 'floating around the office somewhere.

I think I'd call ... or better yet go in person if relatively near and not big inconvience... and see if you can't get to the bottom of it. Can't help but wonder if the 'put-aside' has just 'confused' the office person and that there is a communication problem .
I agree. Talk about unethical. I would try to get to the bottom of it with the head vet. If not I would see if I could get some media attention!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
OMG that is so upsetting. Not even the money aspect (which is alot), but there advice. Oh, they would hear from me. Honestly, like the others have said, go to the head vet, get him ASAP. If I wasn't comfortable with the head vet, or had a very good past history with him/her, I'd be finding a different vet.

I am so sorry, more than I can even express.

What a terrible way to leave you and your baby.

You are both in my prayers.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
:shocked: That is so WRONG! Do vets there carry liability insurance? I hope you don't have to go through this all over again.:Flowers 2:

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
:exploding: I'd be beyond furious.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello just letting you know that I am going to try to contact the head person later today and see if I can find out what is happening there as I agree with you it is nt good enough. The cancer forum for dogs that I have joined also says it is wrong. They say as some of you to find another vet. It makes me wary of taking Billy there for his old age wellness check as I had to make another appointment for him considering this cost $1000. What would they lose his results.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
OMG! This is so wrong on so many levels!!!! I would be furious, but be sure to think out what you want to say before you go in there......hind sight is always 20/20.....

Don't let them treat you this way, they are in the wrong.

·
Registered
842 Posts
OMG what!?!?!?!?!?! How do you lose a tumor....

Is this your regular vet all along? Something needs to be done about this. And what do they mean the results weren't included in the price? Isn't a a "biopsy" like to determine what the tumor is?? Wow wow wow, I really hope you get to the bottom of this, but most importantly for good news in the end. I cannot believe they told you well you just have to wait and see...

I dunno where to tell you go from here, but I would not let that rest. Sounds like someone needs reported to the board of ethics or something, is there such a thing?
Maybe liek check this out?? American Veterinary Medical Association

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I'm really sorry this happened. I can't believe something this important is treated this way. I'd be a lot more than upset. I hope you get it straightened out and find a new vet!

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
I am so sorry that this happened to you.

There are ethical standards that vet’s MUST abide by - if not, they too, can be liable just like MD’s, or any other medical "professional" - just because they are DVM, does not mean that they are exempt from malpractice and accountability. I think what happened to you and to your fluff is egregious. I would seek an attorney - why should you have to "wait" for six days, let alone six months - shame on them!

Warm regards,

Allie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts