Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes Rocky makes a honking kind of cough. Not loud and it's usually just one time a day:huh:...but what is that? I've noticed it more often. And I'm so lame...what kind of mommy am I:unsure:...I had him at the Vet today for his anal glands and forgot to ask him!!!

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
It can be a few different things. Collapsing trachea, they make a honking noice. Kinda like they can't catch their breathe. It can be mild or more advanced. Allergies can cause a tickle in their throat and they can honk a little bit.

You are not a bad mommy. How many times do we not remember to ask something at the time.:)

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Dianne it is probably reverse sneezing, nothing to worry about. A lot of small dogs have that from time to time. It can come from excitement, something in the air, when they drink... When Rocky does that, close his nostrils with your fingers, that will make him open his mouth and breathe through his mouth. And the honking will be gone.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Dianne it is probably reverse sneezing, nothing to worry about. A lot of small dogs have that from time to time. It can come from excitement, something in the air, when they drink... When Rocky does that, close his nostrils with your fingers, that will make him open his mouth and breathe through his mouth. And the honking will be gone.
lol, janine, great minds think alike B)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gals...He's done it more this week I've noticed. Today once, yesterday once or twice. I'm wondering if it is allergies because I know mine are bothering me with all these flowers and trees blooming and the breeze. I'll keep an eye on it. This is why I love it here!

·
Registered
590 Posts
My little guy Max does it as well, it scares me when he does it. The article was very good Tamizami but I might be afraid to cover his nose, since he is only 7 1/2 months old and has been doing it for a couple of months now. Its like he is not catching his breath sometimes he honks sometimes not. Oh my but what does the trachea sound like is it similiar.??

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
you won't hurt your baby if you gently place your finger over both nostrils and rub his belly or throat gently. my stuart looks really scared when its happening, but he totally calms down when i do this for him. actually, as soon as he starts, he looks at me as if to say "mom! i need you to help me!"

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
omg dolce was doing this last night n my daughter thought he was choking , shes like mom dolce is chocking n i came n noticed he was honking , it was great to have read this here already , i did cover his nostrils and a little bit later he was fine ...

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess it's pretty common then? Rocky is not doing it the last few days...I heard a tiny one last night after he drank his water. Worries worries....I'm too old for this, LOL....I feel like I'm raising a baby again. But I love my baby to pieces!!!

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Sparkey does it almost everyday, in this video it lasted longer than usual.
vet said nothing to worry about. this was a long time ago in 2006 and nothing bad happened yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts