Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I took Bella and Harley to the vet today (Harley had an appointment, but they went ahead and took care of them both) and they told me Bella had some hookworms. They gave her dewormer, and we're going back in three weeks for more, and then in three months to have her re-checked. Bella's never had this problem, is this easy to clear up? The vet told me not to worry, but that's like telling the grass not to be green. I guess she could have gotten this from playing outside? I hate that Bella has any thing weird and wish I could have prevented this. She's already on Interceptor and goes to the vet twice a year, but I'm feeling rotten about this anyway. How do we let them socialize and get fresh air without them picking up something gross? It's weird that I'm making this connection, but I've been thinking today that if I ever have human children theres no telling what they could get at school, so now I'm freaking out again. Has anyone's had experince with hookworms, I don't know what to expect.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that they also gave Harley de-wormer just in case, and she checked out fine. I think she actually liked going to the vet, so that was weird
but good.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lexi's Mom, thats so strange, I just read that article not two seconds ago, and then I go back to the forum and clicked on the link you gave me (thanks
) and there it is, what an odd coincidence!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought of another question, isn't Interceptor( heart worm preventative) supposed to prevent hookworms? If so, why didn't it?? Is there a worm preventative?? Thanks

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy@Aug 13 2005, 07:18 AM
I thought of another question, isn't Interceptor( heart worm preventative) supposed to prevent hookworms?  If so, why didn't it??  Is there a worm preventative??  Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89936
[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you have the same products available over there, but I use Heartguard Plus - it is a preventative for Heartworm as well as a multi-wormer. I didn't realise this until just recently as I was giving Harley a multi-wormer every 3 months as well as the Heartguard Plus monthly. I guess what I mean is that your heart worm preventative may just be for heart worm and perhaps it's not also a 'multi-worm' preventative?

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by HarleysMum+Aug 12 2005, 04:23 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-bellasmommy
@Aug 13 2005, 07:18 AM
I thought of another question, isn't Interceptor( heart worm preventative) supposed to prevent hookworms?  If so, why didn't it??  Is there a worm preventative??  Thanks
I don't know if you have the same products available over there, but I use Heartguard Plus - it is a preventative for Heartworm as well as a multi-wormer. I didn't realise this until just recently as I was giving Harley a multi-wormer every 3 months as well as the Heartguard Plus monthly. I guess what I mean is that your heart worm preventative may just be for heart worm and perhaps it's not also a 'multi-worm' preventative?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89939
[/B][/QUOTE]

My dogs are also on Hreatgard Plus....but I looked up Interceptor and it said it prevents many different worms. Is this the one you have? (I don't know if there are different ones)
Interceptor

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by HarleysMum+Aug 12 2005, 03:23 PM-->
I guess what I mean is that your heart worm preventative may just be for heart worm and perhaps it's not also a 'multi-worm' preventative?
[/B][/QUOTE]

I went to Interceptors website and it says it will "control" adult hooksworms, and I'm so confused, I guess I should ask the vet if there is a better option, I just hope Bella feels ok. She has been acting normal so I guess i wouldn't have known she had a problem if we didn't go to the vet today. Im so glad I took her with me for her little sisters appointment

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Carrie+Aug 12 2005, 03:32 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2005, 04:23 PM

[/QUOTE]

My dogs are also on Hreatgard Plus....but I looked up Interceptor and it said it prevents many different worms. Is this the one you have? (I don't know if there are different ones)
Interceptor
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89946
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the one Bella takes. I just wonder if I'm not understanding something here, or if the drug isn't doing what its supposed to
I wish I were a Vet

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I do hope Bella is feeling better real soon! We all try to do the very best for these precious little bundles of joy & somehow in the process we end up getting confused!! You're right though, check with your vet, I'm sure they can help clarify this for you.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 12 2005, 03:41 PM
It says "adult hookworm" so maybe it just keeps it from reproducing.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89957
[/QUOTE]

Well I guess if she wasn't on the preventative when she contracted the worm this could have been worse, thank goodness for modern medicine! I think I'll write down all my questions (today at the vets office I was shocked and confused and couldn't think) and when she gets the next treatment I'll ask lots and lots of things. Bella seems to feel fine, so I have that to be thankful for

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
heartgard and interceptor only kill the worms on the day u give it. it isnt something that stays in their system and prevents them all month long. so your dog can still get them in between treatments.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Aug 12 2005, 05:47 PM
heartgard and interceptor only kill the worms on the day u give it.  it isnt something that stays in their system and prevents them all month long.  so your dog can still get them in between treatments.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90001
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I understand how it works now, they should really put that on the box (maybe they do and I've never noticed
) Do you know if hookworms are easy/hard to get rid of?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts