Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am *hopefully* adopting a 2 year old girl very shortly!

I'm excited and, of course, a tad bit nervous at the same time.

This will be our 1st family pet (I have a 5 year old and a 2.5 year old) - but my parents have a Yorkie and my girls spend a good amount of time with her.

I'm just trying to make a list of things I should start shopping for - leash, harness (do you guys tend to put a collar on them - the collar always bothers our Yorkie's throat??), bed, etc.

My parents Yorkie is 15.5 years old and never was really interested in toys / bones / treats, and I think it has probably been over 10 years since even she played with a toy! What types of toys do your guys like?

Where do your dogs sleep? I'm trying to decide. I'm thinking with a housebroken 2 year old, she should be able to make it through the night, right??

Any advice would be appreciated - on supplies or the best ways to get the dog acclimated to our family!

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi! Thanks for your response! She actually isn't a rescue, but a 2 year old from a breeder who I've read very good things about here.

The breeder assured me that all her dogs are handled regularly and that this one in particular should be good with small children.

I am comfortable with the small dog b/c my girls are used to being around one at Grandmas (Her Yorkie is a 6lber and the hopefully soon to be adopted dog is between 5.5 and 6.5 lbs- so a similar size). If the girls were "used" to a tougher type dog, I think that would be a problem - but Grandma's dog is very delicate and they always treat her with care - it's all they've ever known!

My only concern is sleeping arrangments. Ideally, I'd like the dog to sleep in the girls room, but in a dog bed on the floor- but I don't know if the dog will be okay sleeping on the floor (in a dog bed) or if the dog will want to sleep at the foot of the the bed with the girls (our yorkie never was willing to sleep alone).

At least at first, I will certainly be sure to not leave the 2.5 year old alone with the dog - but I'm sure that my 5 year old would be okay unsupervised once everyone gets comfortable together.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.