Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Boy did I get upset this afternoon when I noticed that two chihuahuas were left in a car in the grocery store parking lot. The forecasted heat index for today was 105 degrees. :exploding:

I waited beside the car to make sure the dogs were okay and to inform the owner that it was too hot to leave dogs in a car. She showed up just as I was getting ready to call animal control, and as I expected, she made all kinds of excuses about leaving the dogs in the car. . . . . "The windows were cracked . . .I was only gone for a couple of minutes. . ."

I 'd previously read an article that gave the internal temperature readings of cars on hot days and was looking up this information online when I found this great website titled "mydogiscool.com":

Media Information

I plan to send the media link to our newspaper and TV stations, and I'm going to order some of the flyers.

Joy

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
If I have to leave them in the car,I leave it running and locked for a minute or two to pay a the vet bill,I'll put them in the car so I can clear out a waiting room,I leave the A/C on .I always take an extra set of keys w/ me so I can do that,if I have to.I rarely have to do that though.
I don't leave them in a car when it's higher than 70 degrees and sunny,it gets hot in the car.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Its illegal here to leave an animal unattended in a vehicle - the laws were recently changed giving the Police the power to use (safe) means to get the animal out of an unattended vehicle - previously, only animal control had the power to do this.

Recently another law was introduced to ensure animals are safely restrained in vehicles - its now illegal to have unrestrained pets in cars - 3 demerit points + a $400 fine if you are caught.

·
Registered
744 Posts
WHen I used to work at a shelter in california they had all kinds of info there. I grabbed a handful of the ones about the pets in the car and I would hand them out. I would wait and give it to them in person and make sure they understand that their pet can DIE and how quickly.
I don't think people understand. I don't think they know that dogs can't sweat and can't cool themselves down as fast as humans...we sweat...they don't...it's not the same. SO to a human, 4 minutes in a car is uncomfortable, but they can deal... but for a dog, it can be close to death!
SO I really DO think it's ignorance and not (only) stupidity.

I only take my girls with me when I know I'm not getting out of the car. And once in a GREAT while I'll take them to pay my bills (small town...yes I still have to PAY MY BILLS in PERSON lol) because it's only 2 stops and I leave my car on. In and out in 2 minutes, never lines ;) Benefits of small town life ;)

Sometimes I'll just go for a drive (I live in a very beautiful area) just because. They all love to 'go'. It makes them happy :)

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Its illegal here to leave an animal unattended in a vehicle - the laws were recently changed giving the Police the power to use (safe) means to get the animal out of an unattended vehicle - previously, only animal control had the power to do this.
Yep, I agree with this law. Even with the vehicle locked, and the air on, would you do that with skin kids? Nope, as the car could be stolen, right in front of your eyes. Yep, that's happend, with a kid in the back seat, many times.

I'll never forget, while on my way to San Fran, I stopped for gas, with all my dogs in tow. While putting the gas in, LBB was looking out the window, and his paw locked the door. My keys were on the seat. It was over 100 degrees outside. I was ready to break the window, when a truck driver used a Slim Jim to open the door. I was so scared, as it only takes minutes, in such high heat, to kill. I pictured all my dogs dead.

So yep, Joy, I just got back from Sacramento. Went with my boss, for work. We drove, and when we stopped for gas, the vehicle was shut off, I remained in the car, it was 98 degrees outside, and it was darn near immediate, when I felt the heat. I had to get the heck out of the car, and stand outside, until the tank filled up. I was already sweating bullets.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
A few days ago, the girls and I went to PetSmart. Of course, I took Lacie and Tilly inside with me in the shopping cart.

When we got back to the car, I had to fasten Lacie into her lookout car seat and then go to the other side of the car to fasten Tilly into hers. It was only 84-85 out (but humid) and by the time I got into the car, Lacie was panting. Of course, we immediately got the air on her and got her cool, but I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had left them in the car -- even for only 5 minutes.

People still forget their skin babies in vehicles. We had a story about a week ago where a mom took her older child to an activity and left her infant in the car for 6 hours. Of course, the baby died, and the mom claims that she simply forgot that the child was in the car.

Heat is deadly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts