Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made an appointment for a hot stone massage. I've never had one and was wondering if anyone on here has?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are supposed to be super relaxing. The pamplet I have says most people fall asleep. It is a lot more than I normally pay for a massage but it 90 minutes. So I figured $75 is that bad.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have had it done, and while it was a nice experience, I much prefer a good old regular massage. I kept feeling like I had things crawling on my back. It felt kind of like the spots that the stones weren't touching tickled a bit. The MT said that it happens sometimes when people have very sensitive skin...it has to do with expansion and contraction of the skin??? Sounded like a load of you know what...I just kept thinking that there were spiders in those rocks so it was hard for me to really relax. I have done the foot version of heated stones and that was wonderful and super relaxing...I certainly didn't see any spiders!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha! That would suck. Not very relaxing. Hopefully I don't have an experience like that. I normally get massages at the massage school in my hometown. It is only $24 for an hour massage. But I'm not planning on going back there until March and can't wait that long. I have a tendency to carry my stress in my shoulders and neck. Right now I'm very, very stressed. My shoulder muscles feel like rocks. It actually hurts sometimes. Normally when they are this bad an hour massage at the school just doesn't cut it. I'm hoping the hot stones with help losen the muscles.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Feb 9 2005, 04:14 PM
I just made an appointment for a hot stone massage.  I've never had one and was wondering if anyone on here has?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34482
[/QUOTE]

Oh, yes!!!! It is wonderful. I've had a hot stone facial and a hot stone massage. Sooooo relaxing...... I actually liked the hot-stone facial better than the massage.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long was your massage? The ones at this place are 90 minutes. The lady said it is actually a combination of the hot stone massage and a regular massage. I hope it is good because its $75 and right now that is a lot of money. But I couldn't take the knotts anymore. They are starting to tighten (lots of stress at work this week).

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Feb 9 2005, 05:08 PM
I have had it done, and while it was a nice experience, I much prefer a good old regular massage.  I kept feeling like I had things crawling on my back.  It felt kind of like the spots that the stones weren't touching tickled a bit.  The MT said that it happens sometimes when people have very sensitive skin...it has to do with expansion and contraction of the skin???  Sounded like a load of you know what...I just kept thinking that there were spiders in those rocks so it was hard for me to really relax.  I have done the foot version of heated stones and that was wonderful and super relaxing...I certainly didn't see any spiders!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34495
[/QUOTE]

That is odd about the weird sensation... I didn't have that problem. When I have hot stone facials she puts little stones between my toes and does stuff to my feet while the creams, masks, etc. are on my face, and it is wonderful...... And she slides hot stones in my hands to hold... very deep... almost spiritual..... I don't know why! But it is "heavy".

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Feb 9 2005, 05:26 PM
How long was your massage?  The ones at this place are 90 minutes.  The lady said it is actually a combination of the hot stone massage and a regular massage.  I hope it is good because its $75 and right now that is a lot of money. But I couldn't take the knotts anymore.  They are starting to tighten (lots of stress at work this week).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34499
[/QUOTE]

90 minutes is a little bit long for me... I'm usually ready to be done in an hour. If money is an issue you can save $ by going for an hour massage and you should get the same benefit.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'm going to go with it this time and see how it goes.

As for the length of it I normally zone out so I should have no with the length.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
My massages incorporate the hot stones, but just for a little while. It is wonderful! I pay $70 for an hour (not including the tip), so I think that $75 for 90 minutes is very reasonable!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I used to know someone who did massages as hotels and they said that when they do the hot stone massage they talk about how like the blue stone does this the green stone does that the pink so does something else...do you know if yours is gonna be like that or if they all are? that didnt sound so relaxing lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have had it done, and while it was a nice experience, I much prefer a good old regular massage. I kept feeling like I had things crawling on my back. It felt kind of like the spots that the stones weren't touching tickled a bit. The MT said that it happens sometimes when people have very sensitive skin...it has to do with expansion and contraction of the skin??? Sounded like a load of you know what...[/B]
I'm a Certified Massage Therapist. I must say that I prefer a regular therapy massage compared to the hot rocks. The hot rocks are totally for relaxation, but here's a sidenote: Any specified heat on any location will result in an advanced stage of relaxation. I have a heated table and turning that on produces the same sensation. When I get the hot rock massage, I feel as though I'm missing something. I like to feel muscle manipulation. And the reason it's longer is because there is more down time where you aren't actually being worked on, which makes it easier for the therapist.
I hope you enjoy.

By the way, our local hospital is recruiting me to do massage in the physical therapy room. It's spot massage, which has it's pros and cons, but I can make so much more money in my private office here. I keep thinking about it though and it sounds fascinating.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Feb 10 2005, 12:49 AM
I'm a Certified Massage Therapist.  I must say that I prefer a regular therapy massage compared to the hot rocks.  The hot rocks are totally for relaxation, but here's a sidenote:  Any specified heat on any location will result in an advanced stage of relaxation.  I have a heated table and turning that on produces the same sensation.  When I get the hot rock massage, I feel as though I'm missing something.  I like to feel muscle manipulation.  And the reason it's longer is because there is more down time where you aren't actually being worked on, which makes it easier for the therapist. 
I hope you enjoy.

By the way, our local hospital is recruiting me to do massage in the physical therapy room.  It's spot massage, which has it's pros and cons, but I can make so much more money in my private office here.  I keep thinking about it though and it sounds fascinating.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34562
[/QUOTE]

I agree about the diff. between regular and hot stone. I think that is why I prefer the hot stone facial if I'm going to have the stones applied. So, while my face is "sitting" she massages my arms and legs and uses the stone on them. And she puts some on my face,too. For that kind of service I am looking for relaxation and wow, that sure does it.

Mostly when I am getting a regular massage I am looking for something to get the kinks out of my muscles.......

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had my hot stone massage last night. It was awesome! I loved it. The massage therapist was great. She really worked out the knots in my shoulders and back. I totally zoned out the entire time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts