Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG! I was looking for animated clip-art and accidentally started downloading HotBar. Well long story short I tried to stop it but some still sownloaded. I have looked in all my programs and cannot locate it as a "program." So I went into my search on my computer and found some files. I have had to manually delete this crap and it still keeps adding some (or so it seems) even the toolbar came back today. How do I get rid of this? I am so afraid of deleting files that I need for other programs, although I think my computer will tell me it can not delted certain files. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Have you ran any spyware programs such as Ad-aware and/or spy trap?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I did the same thing looking for animations. To get rid of it on my computer we went to start; settings; control panel and there should be add and remove programs where the tool bar should be listed. BE SURE it is the tool bar you want to get rid of and then you click on remove. Hope this helps you. It worked for me but my son walked me through it and he works on computers. Another way would be to go to the registry and try to remove it but I was warned that it isn't a good idea to go this route unless you really know computers or you can end losing things that you didn't want to and then it is a real problem. Good luck! ~ Jackie

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Did you try going to your Control Panel and then Add/Remove programs? It should be listed there. And as Paris' Mom said, do try running your spyware program; that will probably get rid of it, too. If you don't have a spyware removal program, try this one. At the top right of the page is a link to a free download of the program. Good luck!!

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I also downloaded HotBar several years ago, it was a real pain to rid of.

My computer
Control Panel
Add/Remove Programs

Also do:
Start
Find
Files or Folders
Type in Hotbar and see what you get. I clicked on the stuff I found to view it and then deleted them.

Like Paris said, run a spy program.
Ad-aware (personal use)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpyBot
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...4-10122137.html

They both are free to download.
I run both of these once a week, you will be surprised of the spy ware in one computer.

Good luck !!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok i went into the control panel and add/delete programs and got it out of there. Now I am going to run our protection programs. Thanks to everyone. I get panicky because I don't want hubby thinking I am screwing things up
I did actually delete some files last night but I opened them first and if they said Hotbar I deleted them. A couple came up and said they were something that should not be deleted to I click off of them. So today I did the control panel thing. Hope this all makes sense. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Nov 12 2005, 04:58 PM
Ok i went into the control panel and add/delete programs and got it out of there. Now I am going to run our protection programs. Thanks to everyone. I get panicky because I don't want hubby thinking I am screwing things up
I did actually delete some files last night but I opened them first and if they said Hotbar I deleted them. A couple came up and said they were something that should not be deleted to I click off of them. So today I did the control panel thing. Hope this all makes sense. Thanks again.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119165
[/QUOTE]

You also need to do a search to get rid of files and folders it has left behind.

Start
Search
Type in "Hotbar"
Then hit "All files and Folders"
let the search run and then once done delete all one at a time by right clicking on each one. Sometimes it will say you cannot delete this file but just delete the ones you can and when you reboot do another search and most times they are all gone.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got rid of the programs, files, and folders. Then I ran all of my computer protections and everything was fine, no attempts for virus', spyworms or anything. Did a defrag and got everything back in order. Whew! I think everything if good now. Thanks everyone.

Do NOT mess around with that animated clip art called HotBar unless you know for certain you want it. Once it starts to run there are NO check points where you can cancel or go back.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Nov 14 2005, 12:34 AM
I got rid of the programs, files, and folders. Then I ran all of my computer protections and everything was fine, no attempts for virus', spyworms or anything. Did a defrag and got everything back in order. Whew! I think everything if good now. Thanks everyone.

Do NOT mess around with that animated clip art called HotBar unless you know for certain you want it. Once it starts to run there are NO check points where you can cancel or go back.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119417
[/QUOTE]

Well done and a good lesson learned hey, I also downloaded Smiley Central once and regretted doing it, that too was rather invasive so I had to go through all that to get rid of it. These programs are full of spyware and best left alone I think

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Nov 14 2005, 09:36 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Sassy's mommy
@Nov 14 2005, 12:34 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119417
Well done and a good lesson learned hey, I also downloaded Smiley Central once and regretted doing it, that too was rather invasive so I had to go through all that to get rid of it. These programs are full of spyware and best left alone I think

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119448
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah I just had that happen with Smiley Central. Love there stuff but my computer totally freaked! LOL

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
It happened to me too with HotBar on my old computer. I love the smiley's but won't download anything like this anymore because they are full of spyware.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just went back into my hard drive and "searched" and all the files and folders I deleted are still in my protected waste basket and nothing new has appeared. Whew...what a nightmare. We should maybe start a thread on websites like this to warn each other and newcomers so we don't each have to learn the "hard" way. Thanks again for your support.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I recommend running both spybot and adaware on a semi regular basis if you suspect you have something, or ever have had anything. Then, I move on to www.trendmicro.com. They have an online scanner which does both virus and spyware, and also a free cws shredder utility that will scan if you get one of the browser hijackers. These programs are updated frequently, so you need to make sure you always update or get the latest version. Then, there is another one, www.bitdefender.com (online scanner) that will find virus that you would never suspect you might have.

I dont have help at work to do this so I put my users on the task of doing it themselves and if these dont work, I can dig deeper. Doing these in advance definately saves me time and gets most stuff, and its easy enough for everyone so far.

This invasive stuff is such a huge frustration from where I am

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Nov 14 2005, 02:02 PM
I recommend running both spybot and adaware on a semi regular basis if you suspect you have something, or ever have had anything.  Then, I move on to www.trendmicro.com.  They have an online scanner which does both virus and spyware, and also a free cws shredder utility that will scan if you get one of the browser hijackers.  These programs are updated frequently, so you need to make sure you always update or get the latest version.  Then, there is another one, www.bitdefender.com (online scanner) that will find virus that you would never suspect you might have. 

I dont have help at work to do this so I put my users on the task of doing it themselves and if these dont work, I can dig deeper.  Doing these in advance definately saves me time and gets most stuff, and its easy enough for everyone so far. 

This invasive stuff is such a huge frustration from where I am 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119524
[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks so much for the "insiders" sites to use for spyware and viruses. Great info!!!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
When I change something or the computer changes itself I usually go to system restore and pick a date when I know that it was OK. I use it as an undo button.

Programs
Accessories
System Tools
System Restore

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
When I want to save anything from a sites (any clip art or aminated stuff), I always right click and save to my documents.

I never click on download, not safe any more.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheryl,
That is exactly what I have been doing, but I wanted my own soooooo bad. I found some at CompUSA the other day. It was originally $59. but had a $30 mail-in rebate. I know it has some animations but I do not know how much. I have Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and Image ready. I guess if I would get busy and learn to use these I could make any of the images animated. I think I am going to purchase that group of clips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts