Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine emailed me a revolting article on the rising number of bedbug cases in hotels. I'm going to be traveling this summer (which I'm very excited about) and I have to admit that this issue has sort of stirred some worry in me.

How common are these critters? I stay in good hotels (not that that will necessarily offer much protection, the article claims) but I'm still concerned. Have any of you encountered these nasty bugs? Is this one of those issues that breeds more panic than it should?

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Eeeuuggh I'm itching just thinking about it..... I try to stay at the better hotels too. I've been forced to stay at cheap hotels before w/ the civil Air Patrol,they pay for it. Cheap usually has meant dirty rooms and loud patrons. We had a drug dealer in the next room,people in and out all night. I even opted to pay for my own hotel and meet the rest of the squadron at the training site from then on. Feel bad but hey these hotels were terrible. I don't want to fly a training mission on no sleep....

Try to opt for a better hotel when you can... Not being snooty,it's just a reality....

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Don't be deceived by the cost of the hotel room. Several very high-end hotels and apartment buildings in NYC and elsewhere have had bedbug problems over the last couple of years. I've tried to keep up with info on this subject as we travel a lot.

That is one of the zillion reasons why hubby is building us a travel trailer.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I stayed at fairly expensive hotel a few years ago that had bedbugs, like $300 per night expensive...so sadly it almost doesn't matter whether or not if it's a good hotel or not. I was completely freaked out and kept changing rooms. You have to look under the mattresses, around the headboards etc. Luckily, that was the only hotel I've ever encountered, and we travel quite a lot.

Also I read an article in the LA Times (after my stay) that said to never place your luggage on the floor (but in the luggage stands instead) so that you don't take home any uninvited guests.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
:faint:How big are these little bedbugs? Can you see them with the naked eye!!! I saw an article in one of the newspapers where a woman in NY several years ago was bitten really badly. She was staying at a nice hotel downtown.......It is bad enough to go through that but to carry them home...oh my goodness!!! They say they are hard to get rid of.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
When I did a college study abroad in London our hotel had them. The group was split in two hotels right next to each other. Of course I got stuck in the worse of the two. After moving rooms twice and still having bug problems my roommate and I switched to the nicer hotel and didn't have further problems. I only got a couple of bites but for some reason my roommate just got covered in them. Maybe it's like how some people are more prone to mosquito bites, I don't know. Well, here's to bug free travel for you! Take lots of pics to share with us!

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I am super paranoid about this! Never really thought about it, until back in 2005 we stayed in the Holiday Inn Oceanfront on Hilton Head. I saw my first bed bug and it was in the bed spread. It was dead and I didn't see anymore, but still GROSS! So now I check the room/bed throughly when we do stay in a hotel. We usually stay at the country inns and suites and so far, I haven't had nothing but rave reviews on every room we have had!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.