Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

We are considering a two-year-old Maltese from a highly acclaimed, reputable breeder. The dog has not been house broken and goes to the bathroom on pads in her pen. She has just had a litter of puppies and they are currently weaning. She will be ready for adoption in about two weeks. My question is, has anyone gotten an older Maltese that they were able to train to go outside? I know that house breaking can be done with adult dogs, but I am wondering if it is more difficult with the Maltese breed due to its size. I am not opposed to having her use pee-pads, but given that we currently have a dog that is house broken, it would make more sense if I could train her to go outside. For reference, the Maltese is between 7 and 8 pounds. My dog, Vera, is a 12 pound terrier mix, 9 years old, and is sweet as pie (she is the dog in my profile pic). :)

Also, if you have a Maltese around the same size, how long can you leave the pup home if they are NOT pad-trained?

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello!

We are considering a two-year-old Maltese from a highly acclaimed, reputable breeder. The dog has not been house broken and goes to the bathroom on pads in her pen. She has just had a litter of puppies and they are currently weaning. She will be ready for adoption in about two weeks. My question is, has anyone gotten an older Maltese that they were able to train to go outside? I know that house breaking can be done with adult dogs, but I am wondering if it is more difficult with the Maltese breed due to its size. I am not opposed to having her use pee-pads, but given that we currently have a dog that is house broken, it would make more sense if I could train her to go outside. For reference, the Maltese is between 7 and 8 pounds. My dog, Vera, is a 12 pound terrier mix, 9 years old, and is sweet as pie (she is the dog in my profile pic). :)

Also, if you have a Maltese around the same size, how long can you leave the pup home if they are NOT pad-trained?

Thanks for any info!
I can't answer any of your questions really well. But I'll share what I can. I had an 11 pound Maltese, and now a 5 pound Maltese. I never left either alone for more than 4 hours during the day without a pee-pad. They could go all night without peeing, but during the day they need to drink water, so can't go longer than 4 hours.
It was convenient, with our previous Maltese Lily, to have her use pee-pads, because hub and I both worked all day. But we always had to keep Lily confined to one room. If we gave her run of the house, she seemed to "forget" where the pee-pad was, and would pee anywhere. Ugh.
Now I'm retired, my current Maltese Zita is a year old, and I haven't used pee-pads with her yet. I'd kinda like to (so I could be gone for several hours if I needed to), but Zita still pees on our little rugs in front of the doors if I don't watch her like a hawk. I'm afraid introducing pee-pads will encourage her to pee on little rugs even more.
Regarding teaching this 2-year old Maltese to potty outside, I would think that since you have another dog to be a good example, the new dog would learn quickly. Another idea, I've heard people say to take the potty pod outside to help make the transition.
I do find Maltese hard to completely house break, but if you have the chance to get this one, from a reliable breeder, I'd go for it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't answer any of your questions really well. But I'll share what I can. I had an 11 pound Maltese, and now a 5 pound Maltese. I never left either alone for more than 4 hours during the day without a pee-pad. They could go all night without peeing, but during the day they need to drink water, so can't go longer than 4 hours.
It was convenient, with our previous Maltese Lily, to have her use pee-pads, because hub and I both worked all day. But we always had to keep Lily confined to one room. If we gave her run of the house, she seemed to "forget" where the pee-pad was, and would pee anywhere. Ugh.
Now I'm retired, my current Maltese Zita is a year old, and I haven't used pee-pads with her yet. I'd kinda like to (so I could be gone for several hours if I needed to), but Zita still pees on our little rugs in front of the doors if I don't watch her like a hawk. I'm afraid introducing pee-pads will encourage her to pee on little rugs even more.
Regarding teaching this 2-year old Maltese to potty outside, I would think that since you have another dog to be a good example, the new dog would learn quickly. Another idea, I've heard people say to take the potty pod outside to help make the transition.
I do find Maltese hard to completely house break, but if you have the chance to get this one, from a reliable breeder, I'd go for it!
Thank you for all of this information, Kayanne! We had a Yorkie years ago and she loved to pee on any carpet anywhere in our house, so I get that! LOL.

I guess I was assuming that since the pup was 2 years old that she would have already been mostly house broken. I only have experience with house breaking puppies, and even that is a challenge! When my older daughter got a Havapoo puppy two years ago, we watched her when she went on a business trip. For almost a week from morning until night I tried to get the pup to go outside through all the methods I'd used in the past and read about. She would only go on the pads. She was 4 months old when my daughter got her and was so used to going on paper. It just seemed impossible to break her of the habit. After months and months of crate-training, the puppy would still not go outside. So now she is pee-pad trained and that works for my daughter and it's great. But I think that my desire to have a Maltese and the dream that it can be house broken like my current dog isn't a reality. I think there will have to be a combo of pads and outside training. And I am okay with that.

Thank you again for your experiences! It helps to get as much information as I can! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am also curious. My Maltese is 9 and when I had him in the house I had a weewee pad by the door and would walk him before and after work, but he is stubborn and would pee all over the place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts